The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I sold them for $100 shipped. This is the first time I've ever come across a pair of Alden's or anything in remotely as nice a shape as these were at the GW. I saw them in the window when I was walking up and just figured I'd take a look since they looked new. Once I saw they were Alden's I swooped them up right away.

You sold them too cheap. Those would have brough at least double on e-bay. Especially in that condition.

2. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

You sold them too cheap. Those would have brough at least double on e-bay. Especially in that condition.

I considered selling them on ebay, but when I checked completed auctions most of the results came up in the $100-125 range. I figured after the ebay and paypal fees I'd be lucky to clear $100 on them through ebay.

3. ruben

ruben Senior member

Probably not.

Non-shell tassels aren't in that high demand, you probably did alright selling them here and avoiding giving ebay a 20% cut.

I'll hedge by saying that Aldens are so popular lately they might have gone for much more now.

4. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

(many months later) I just bought one of these too. It's pretty great, and in great shape. So I looked it up. Evidently "invented" by the same guy whose family started Costco. See here:
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...5&slug=2345913

oh no - tainted by a Costco connection [​IMG]

5. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

oh no - tainted by a Costco connection [​IMG]

Yeah - true enough. But that family has donated some good money to the university where I work, so I'll grin and bear it.

6. ChuckBass

ChuckBass New Member

Picked these Aldens up and sold them right away on the B&S.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are nice!!

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I sold them for $100 shipped.

That's not unreasonable. You might have squeezed another $25-$30 out of them. Start with $140-$150 delivered with follow up price drops if they don't sell. You may have simply been after a quick flip, however, in which case everybody is happy.

8. Chatellum

Chatellum New Member

I was pleased to find a pink linen PRL shirt in a local charity shop for the good price of £4.75. Hardly a massive haul, but a good little wardrobe addition.

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

are there any hat people in here? I have 3 mint hats i found. dress hats not like newspaper boy hats.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Zilch as usual lately... but a couple of interesting things:

Did find a tennis racket today, a decent one for once, for one of the kids. Around here, decent sports equipment is pretty hard to find, so I've had an eye out for a few months.

Interesting thing: I found a lime green Zegna Sport polo... and I SWEAR I saw the same exact polo last fall. It had a slight spot on it, even, that I remember. There was an orange one with it, and I know it was at the same store, so I do think it was the same one. Must have been somewhere in the back for months! Also saw several "Tyrwhitt" polos - look to be non-resaleable so I left them. Nice colors/patterns though, would have picked them up if a) my size and b) no bold "TYRWHITT" logo at the bottom...

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

b) no bold "TYRWHITT" logo at the bottom...
    whats the problem? you dont like being a walking advertisement!? [​IMG]

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I picked up a pink patterned BB Makers spread collar dress shirt, a pair of H. H. Brown mocs with off road style tread and a Bruno Piattelli tie. I had to pass on a fitted BB 346 (would have been my first fitted BB) because it had STAPLE HOLES in the middle of the right front panel! Grr..

Also passed on a Zenga tie that looked like it had a kitchen potholder print.

I thought I was going to score a pair of AE split toes but after some study, I realized that the footbed liners had been removed (probably years ago) from their original shoes and placed in this pair. Bummer.

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

a Bruno Piattelli tie.

saw these things in daffys a few days ago, anywhere between $10-$20... worth it? or for the trash can?

14. Navi

Navi Senior member

Everything here was thrifted except the shirt [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found the shoes yesterday, basically brand new Allen Edmond Byron's in my size. Would've preferred brown but still a good find for me!

[​IMG]

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

saw these things in daffys a few days ago, anywhere between $10-$20... worth it? or for the trash can?
    It's not Manton-worthy and it's a bit to the wide side but it's gold paisley and I think I'll have a use for it down the line somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.