The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Found the shoes yesterday, basically brand new Allen Edmond Byron's in my size. Would've preferred brown but still a good find for me!

[​IMG]

Those are tight! It's things like this that keep me hunting.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Damn, congrats on finding a jacket with a trim waist. Shiz is RARE in these parts.

Also, what's the exact deal with Ben Sherman shirts these days? The ones I find (especially the 'vintage' cuts) are pretty interesting, and the buttons are always a unique color that enhances the shirt. I remember GQ used to talk the brand up a lot when I was a kid; though now, in the UK, they seem to carry some sort of a classist 'chav' association. Are they still considered good quality?

3. mainy

mainy Senior member

Everything in my for sale threads is thrifted:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=230757

But as far as personal stuff, here are some recent finds.

usually i try to stick to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", but in the interest of saving you money i'm going to say something that's rude and borderline mean: almost all of that stuff sucks and you should have left it on the rack. scrolling through that thread was literally like walking down the aisle at goodwill and looking at all the crap i have to sift through to find anything decent.

i understand that this thread is about thrift store finds, but come on guys let's try to keep the quality level up. i understand maybe you found a nice tie or something but looking at a picture of a 20 year old land's end tie or old J&M shoe or whatever kind of defeats the purpose of the thread to me. i find lots of mediocre to average stuff but i don't post it because it's boring and not exciting.

okay, going to go back to being a nice person.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Also, what's the exact deal with Ben Sherman shirts these days? The ones I find (especially the 'vintage' cuts) are pretty interesting, and the buttons are always a unique color that enhances the shirt. I remember GQ used to talk the brand up a lot when I was a kid; though now, in the UK, they seem to carry some sort of a classist 'chav' association. Are they still considered good quality?

I forgot all about that. I found a Ben Sherman shirt earlier this week and snagged it. Then I found some vintage BS cord jeans in a 30 waist, which I can usually squeeze into but wouldn't wear in public. I couldn't get these over my hips!

5. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

Everything here was thrifted except the shirt [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found the shoes yesterday, basically brand new Allen Edmond Byron's in my size. Would've preferred brown but still a good find for me!

[​IMG]

What the hell is with the green tie,belt and socks? It's horrid.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

usually i try to stick to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", but in the interest of saving you money i'm going to say something that's rude and borderline mean: almost all of that stuff sucks and you should have left it on the rack. scrolling through that thread was literally like walking down the aisle at goodwill and looking at all the crap i have to sift through to find anything decent.

i understand that this thread is about thrift store finds, but come on guys let's try to keep the quality level up. i understand maybe you found a nice tie or something but looking at a picture of a 20 year old land's end tie or old J&M shoe or whatever kind of defeats the purpose of the thread to me. i find lots of mediocre to average stuff but i don't post it because it's boring and not exciting.

okay, going to go back to being a nice person.

Yeah, I have to agree. Just because you paid thrift store prices for something is nothing to brag about if it's junk. If we all posted up stuff like this the thread have 6+ new pages per day. Live and learn, though. I've bought a lot of garbage when I started out too.

7. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Yeah, I have to agree. Just because you paid thrift store prices for something is nothing to brag about if it's junk. If we all posted up stuff like this the thread have 6+ new pages per day. Live and learn, though. I've bought a lot of garbage when I started out too.

Yup.

8. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

One of the quickest things I learned when thrifting - especially because I don't buy stuff to flip - is to be picky and don't buy mediocre stuff because it's my size. I don't mind hitting a few shops and coming home without anything because one day soon I'll hit the jackpot.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Well, about a third of those are fine pieces for personal use or minor flipping (big sizes need to go to eBay).

Folks just have to realize that even most of the stuff you actually buy isn't worth bragging about. I picked up a couple of cheap athletic/workout shirts, some JCrew khakis and a polo shirt this week for my own use. But no one cares, nor should they.

I've never bought a Christian Dior tie, though.

10. Navi

Navi Senior member

Piss off. Be constructive or stfu.

Go back to selling crap clothes in your thread.

11. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

I liked the green outfit up until I saw the belt

12. Navi

Navi Senior member

Fair enough. Never said you had to like it, but fuck if I'm going to take that from the guy who wouldnt know quality if it bit him in the ass.

13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

[​IMG]

14. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the once a month fight happens between andrew and navi!! Lovin' it

[​IMG]

15. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Piss off. Be constructive or stfu.

Go back to selling crap clothes in your thread.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

thats it for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.