• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(m@T @ June 10 2005,13:04)
Originally Posted by j,June 10 2005,13:01
"Black Casual Friday".
im not sure you can wear black to work though... maybe someone should post a thread on that
Yeah, did we ever get a definitive answer? I mean... IS black suit an appropriate business attire?
Oh, you just be quiet.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If they are in as nice a condition as they appear, then $299 on ebay, maybe more if you write a good auction.
Thanks Andrew. I was just curious, I'll probably end up hanging on to them. I mean, if the style-gods see fit to drop a pair of practically new EG's in my lap for thirty bones, who am I to disagree?.?.

Anyone know who Bullock And Jones are? And maybe thusly, how old these shoes are?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ June 11 2005,00:58)
Originally Posted by LA Guy,June 10 2005,14:02
Originally Posted by Horace,June 09 2005,00:21
Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement. Â Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all. Â And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.

Ah, poor Keezers. Â Used to be the place where you could sell your clothes mid term and buy them back the next. Â A lot of old Rogers Peet stuff to be found then...
Yea,those were the days.I remember finding glorious bespoke Anderson & Sheppard suits (with some professer's name inside the breast pocket)-- for under $100.00.. Them days are long gone,friends.
sad.gif

Really? Amazing find. I could tell you stories of prolifigate faculty.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Anyone know who Bullock And Jones are? And maybe thusly, how old these shoes are?
Bullock & Jones is a high end San Francisco retailer, recently relaunched, I believe. Congratulations on your amazing find. I've yet to see any shoes worth having on my thrift store visits. Yesterday's visit was a complete strike out on all counts, too. *sigh*

Duveen

Reaction score
They look like Elmsely or Emsley EGs to me, but I could be wrong. I saw a pair that looked almost exactly like those shoes at Filene's Basement here in DC several months ago, and there was lots of chatter when someone in the area bought them to flip (argument was that in order to make a profit on $299 EGs, you'd need to set a price you likely couldn't get, and therefore you were depriving the honest deal-seekers and taking advantage of the Filene's return policy when they didn't sell...only problem with that logic was that they did sell to a German for more than $400).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, yes, the Germans.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, those shoes are definitely the Chelsea model.  I bought a pair off eBay last week for $276, so my guess is that you'll be able to get between $250 and $300, depending on demand.  If they fit well, you should definitely keep them.  After all, you'll have reason to wear a suit at some point in the future, and there is no better pair of shoes to accompany a suit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm never taking Slim with me to a thrift store again. Bastard..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I found a broken-in silverplated Dunhill lighter from the 60s for $50 and a "character-added" Ronson lighter from the 70s or 80s for $20. Both appear to be workable. Not the best deal on the Dunhill, but it's a cool one. Plus I made the ladies there giggle by buying (gasp.) $70 worth of stuff and making their day.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm never taking Slim with me to a thrift store again. Bastard..
Dude... I already said I'd rent them to you.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I found a broken-in silverplated Dunhill lighter from the 60s for $50 and a "character-added" Ronson lighter from the 70s or 80s for $20. Both appear to be workable. Not the best deal on the Dunhill, but it's a cool one. Plus I made the ladies there giggle by buying (gasp.) $70 worth of stuff and making their day.
You guys are amazing. Why is all the good stuff in Seattle?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it? I think I just spend more time in thrift stores than other people. I'm sure good stuff is available in just about any area with any affluent people living there.

Today's finds at a garage sale: two old Castello fencing foils, both rusty but "will clean up just fine", one for practice, one for killing - $10; a bunch of cool architectural books for my parents - $1 each; Henckels paring knife - $1; Stetson hat that might be stretched to fit my stepdad - $1.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it? I think I just spend more time in thrift stores than other people. I'm sure good stuff is available in just about any area with any affluent people living there. Today's finds at a garage sale: two old Castello fencing foils, both rusty but "will clean up just fine", one for practice, one for killing - $10; a bunch of cool architectural books for my parents - $1 each; Henckels paring knife - $1; Stetson hat that might be stretched to fit my stepdad - $1.
...or you and slim could reenact the swordfight scene from princess bride: MAN IN BLACK You're amazing. INIGO I ought to be after twenty years. And now the Man In Black is smashed into a stone pillar, pinned there under the six fingered sword. MAN IN BLACK (hollering it out) There's something I ought to tell you. INIGO Tell me. MAN IN BLACK I am not left-handed either. And now he changes hands, and at last, the battle is fully joined.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it? I think I just spend more time in thrift stores than other people. I'm sure good stuff is available in just about any area with any affluent people living there.

Today's finds at a garage sale: two old Castello fencing foils, both rusty but "will clean up just fine", one for practice, one for killing - $10; a bunch of cool architectural books for my parents - $1 each; Henckels paring knife - $1; Stetson hat that might be stretched to fit my stepdad - $1.
Perhaps J. But are you in an area where "vintage" stuff is commodfied? That is, I'd reckon that places like NYC are picked over very fast and the good stuff put into vintage clothing stores. Or maybe these guys have contacts at the thrift shops.

Anyway, you've convinced me to soldier on & get in the spirit.

H.

PS how many closets full of gear do you now have??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads