1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy

Roy Senior member

There are a few brands with a similar retail price here, Barbera, Finamore, Buonamassa, they're all positioned above Borrelli even. But to be perfectly honest, I think they're too expensive so I only get these on sale.

Alex might be expensive, but you're getting bespoke instead of RTW. World of difference.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

300 Euros is only about US$360....well below Alex's (justifiable) prices.

3. Roy

Roy Senior member

(faustian bargain @ July 09 2005,23:26) criminy...300 E's is about a gajillion US dollars. sounds like a european Kabbaz. (no offense to Alex. i'm just sayin'...)
    300 Euros is only about US$360....well below Alex's (justifiable) prices.
    Yup, but this is RTW. I won't pay the 300 euros for a RTW shirt. MTM or Bespoke is a different story altogether.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yesterday, after the Helmut Lang final sale, was still in buying mood, went to SA.

A couple of Zegna shirts, one RLPL, a couple of Hawes & Curtis (are these any good? I just liked the stripes), and one BR that I'd ignore except that I like its stripes, which are red and pink without any white ground. Also, two PS suits, though not sure if they can be made to fit. One brown wool suit about 50 years old from Roos, forerunner of Roos Atkins, in California. Lastly, one pair of pinstriped cotton Gap pants such as I like for knocking around. Total take: less than $110.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

today i saw a brown hickey freeman sportcoat. wasn't my size so i didn't buy it. i briefly thought about flipping it. but i'm lazy.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Wow, the post before the prev one is mine from...so many thrift expeditions ago...

7. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

yeah, time flies eh?

oh, i did pick up a non-clothing item today - an early edition of the old Avalon Hill game 'Gettysburg', probably 30 or so years old. Wife is mad that i'm filling up the coat closet with games.

8. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yesterday: a d'Avenza plaid jacket, 3b rolling to two. The maker's label was still on the sleeve, and the working buttonholes sewn but with thread across them sewing them shut. Somehow, they are exactly the right length. I'll have to get some buttons. The wool is almost paper-light; mercerized cotton t-shirt fabric is heavier. The fabric is a gray glen plaid, so it's obviously an orphaned garment, but I think I can wear it with jeans.

The fit is like a perfect envelope for my body. I think it fits like a Kiton only I've never tried on a Kiton in my actual size.

The brand is obscure but on its site and elsewhere on this one is its history: d'Avenza is a postwar creation of the same Mr. Ackerman who founded Chester Barrie.

I think it was twelve dollars or so.

Yay New York!

9. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Gieves and Hawkes Savile Row #1 Black with white pinpoint 6x2 double breasted peak lapel suit. $18.95

Pete Fashion 3 button notch lapel sports coat, Black and white herringbone in one of the nicest fabrics I have ever felt in my life. Working cuff buttons, real button hole in the lapel. $9.95

Perfect fits.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Just picked up a TSE (BTW, is that "tsay" or "T. S. E."?) burgundy cashmere v-neck sweater in my size, perfect shape, $16. Ran my hand down the rack at one of the hipster 2nd hand shops, first thing that caught my attention, pulled it out, bam. Brought it up to the front and the girl says "oh wow, TSE... you could go return this to Nordstroms." Nah, think I'll just keep it.

11. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Sent off the Gieves to be tailored, when it comes back I'll post up some pictures of it and the Canali that I talked about earlier in this thread or the previous incarnation of this thread.

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

A pair of Etro trousers. Cuffed, flat front. Linen or cotton/linen. grey and brown windowpane plaid on navy blue. Even the inseam is exactly right. $8.

13. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Not a brag, but a mildly amusing story.

As I was walking back to my apartment, A voice yelled, "there he is!" to a police car that was driving on the street (apparently looking for someone to apprehend), and the police car came to a screeching halt to apprehend this middle-aged man. A few minutes later, I found out that the man was arrested after the local thrift shop (Housing Works on 75th and Columbus) called the police to report a shoplifting. Anyway, it turns out that the thing that was stolen was pretty much the most gorgeous pair of spectator loafers I've ever seen, approximately looking like this Cleverley, except that, of course, it's a spectator, but has a similar brown colour:

[​IMG]

So, having no shame, I followed the employee back to see if the shoes were for sale. Alas, it was not.

In any case, I saw a great pair of Stuart's Choice penny loafers in dark brown in 12D. Since it wasn't my size and the price tag was off, I was too lazy to find out how much it cost, but it was in superb condition (worn less than 5 times, by the looks of it), so if it's anyone's size and live in NYC, they should pick it up. I went at closing time, so if anyone gets there in the morning tomorrow, they can probably find it. Housing works tend to be expensive for a thrift store, but I can't imagine the loafers costing as much as it would cost to pick it up on Ebay.

14. j

j Senior member Admin

Not a brag, but a mildly amusing story.

As I was walking back to my apartment, A voice yelled, "there he is!" to a police car that was driving on the street (apparently looking for someone to apprehend), and the police car came to a screeching halt to apprehend this middle-aged man. A few minutes later, I found out that the man was arrested after the local thrift shop (Housing Works on 75th and Columbus) called the police to report a shoplifting. Anyway, it turns out that the thing that was stolen was pretty much the most gorgeous pair of spectator loafers I've ever seen, approximately looking like this Cleverley, except that, of course, it's a spectator, but has a similar brown colour:

[​IMG]

So, having no shame, I followed the employee back to see if the shoes were for sale. Alas, it was not.

In any case, I saw a great pair of Stuart's Choice penny loafers in dark brown in 12D. Since it wasn't my size and the price tag was off, I was too lazy to find out how much it cost, but it was in superb condition (worn less than 5 times, by the looks of it), so if it's anyone's size and live in NYC, they should pick it up. I went at closing time, so if anyone gets there in the morning tomorrow, they can probably find it. Housing works tend to be expensive for a thrift store, but I can't imagine the loafers costing as much as it would cost to pick it up on Ebay.

We'll have to see which of our NYC crew stops posting for a couple of days while in jail. [​IMG]

Today: picked up a really nice pair of Mezlan double monk captoes in medium brown, which may be shipped off to Matt in Vietnam since he had a standing order on 9s - $10. Also a pair of bright tomato red Sambas in my size, looking brand new for $12, and a couple of other things that don't warrant mention.

15. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

God I love this thrift store. 3, THREE! Gieves and Hawkes blazers. Photos of all the stuff when I get the full suit back from the tailors. One was $3.95, one 5.95 and one 9.95, or a bit over $21 when tax is included.

16. koonuy

koonuy New Member

-YSL Tweed Blazer with suede elbow patches $12
    -YSL woven wool blazer (dontk now what the patterns called) $1.50
    -Paul Stuart Full Grey pinstriped suit with braces buttons $17
    -Ralph Lauren Chunky Cable knit Cardigan (incredibly plush) $25
    -Members Only motorcycle windbreaker $2
    -Lacoste Cobalt Blue V-Neck $2
    -Gucci blue w/white dot tie $2
    -YSL Burnt orange tie $2
    -Ermenegildo Zegna Blue w/white dot tie $2
    -AE cap toed brogues $11

Countless other ties ranging from knit polos to silk B.Bros. Levi 501's, and first edition ray ban aviators (no mark on lens, only engraved on nose piece)

This boy loves shopping...
    Cheers

17. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Where do you live/shop?

18. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

On the road in Salem, Oregon--four thrift shops: nothin'. [​IMG]

19. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Ok here we go, pictures of the finds I've posted in this thread or its previous incarnation. Its amazing to me I found all but the canali in the past week.

In descending order:

Gieves and Hawkes Suit
    The Canali sports coat
    The Pete's Fashion Blazer
    The three Gieves and Hawkes blazers. I suspect the double breasted one was part of a suit, but I couldn't find the pants for it anywhere in the store.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Okay who wants to find me a 50l/r suit and a double breasted camel colored overcoat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.