1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Where is the store located? If at all possible, please list the store's location.

Thanks,

2. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Blue and white houndstooth pattern check shirt by Borrelli for Wilkes-Bashford. $4.99. And please allow me to give a shout out for this old school thrift store pricing. For a while now all shirts at the GW have been uniformly priced at $6.99 (unless they're something special like Tommy Bahama). But back in the day shirts from Borrelli, T&A, Charvet, Sulka, etc were usually priced at $3.99 or $4.99, largely because they seemed kind of weird and certainly not as desirable as something from Structure. Silly, perhaps, but probably also a shrewd understanding of the thrift store customer before ebay blew the used clothing market wide open.
    Nearly pristine suede full brogues in a quietly pleasing shade of London tan, bench made in England for Polo. $13.75. Very nice punching. Not sure if these are from C&J. The numbers inside are handwritten rather than punched and don't correspond to anything I'm familiar with at all (M1259, RLY041/5944--for the record). Soles are stitched aloft.
    Finally, a fun new Ferragamo tie in various shades of blue and yellow with printed butterflies. $1.99.
    A nice morning. I think spring cleaning may be starting. Did I break twenty?

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I think spring cleaning may be starting.

Oooh--good point. [​IMG]

4. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Found an interesting reddish brown blazer, again from Pete' Fashions and again made for the same person. I feel like I'm raiding a dead man's closet... Single breast, 3 buttons, working buttons on the cuff, real lapel hole, same details on the interior. All I'll say about the man who previously owned them... he had the English title of 'Lord' and and was one of the wealthier men in Santa Barbara.

Paid $2.50 for it.

I bought it mainly for the history the jacket represents in this town, because I'm really not sure what you wear with sort of a dirty reddish brown blazer that has brass buttons.

Wear trousers in a cream color flannel or slightly fuzzy gabradine.

5. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Well, looks like the bespoke pump might finally be primed again. My big find today was a Henry Poole suit from the halycon days of 1972 (the Cork St interlude). Charcoal with Bavarian blue stripes, this harkens back to a nearly mod-ish cut--three-button with short side vents, narrow lapels, and even narrower trousers (the cuffed bottoms come down in a straight line and measure just the slightest hair over 8"). It's a pretty severe cut, perhaps too severe from me even though I like the concept.
    Also a pair of bright scarlet cords from RLPL and a really nice cashmere pullover from Margaret O'Leary to keep my wife happy. $18.99, $6.99, and $3.99 respectively.

6. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Pejsek, your posts in this thread always make me want to cry. [​IMG]

7. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Varvatos day at the SA. A nice suit, may be too short for me, cashmere and wool, 2B. Two pair of shoes in my size -- loafers with some braiding around the heel and toe box, and a pair of black boots. Also, non varvatos: A coat and vest made by NY society tailor Bernard Weatherill in a gray nubby wool. 1965 date. Weatherill was the tailor Tom Wolfe had the greatest contempt for in his custom clothing essay "The Secret Vice" back in the sixties.

8. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

ive posted these over at streetwear, but ill let you have a look too...

in the past week:
    vintage pre izod lacoste cashmere polo neck sweater:1.99
    almost new 70's wranglers:4.99
    rrl "authentic" selvage jeans @ burlington coat factory:15.99

9. The Grapist

The Grapist Well-Known Member

I don't know if eBay counts for bragging. But I thought that this was a pretty good deal, especially since this is the same exact suit that I bought for 1050, and returned once I realized that despite the fact that it needed almost no alternations, and looked amazing, it cost $1050. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT And I also was able to get free shipping.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Black Label on ebay? Great!

Today, a pair of Comme des Garcons Homme pants in a deeply striped wool. Black, red and gray stripes on a more or less navy blue ground....like fabric from the 30s. High waisted, lined to the knee, double pleated, tapered ankle. Unhemmed, NWT.

$7.

11. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Recently my best finds have been a really cool Spiewak parka (from the industrial line, not the fashion line), some really old early 80's Adidas, various shirts, etc.

I went to some Goodwills today, and man, are they jacking up the prices. $10 for jeans, $8 for dress shirts w/ a brand name, $15-20 for some shoes...

One Goodwill I went to today had a great pair of D&G jeans, fit was okay, denim was okay, but some of the details were cool. I checked the price - $99.99! I couldn't believe they'd charge that for used jeans!

They also had two Hermes purses for $299.99 each, though one was real beat up, and the other looked a bit fake. I thought i'd try and flip them before I saw the price!

**Edit**

Though they may try and single out the 'good' brands, obviously they don't know the truly quality items. The same thrift store that was selling the D&G jeans provided me with a big haul of Borrelli and T&A shirts a while back, for $4 each.

12. maleofglory

maleofglory Member

I picked up a Tempo sport coat for $3.50 yesterday. I have never heard of the brand, apparently it is made in Italy. The coat has a nice fit and the fabric is decent.

Today I passed up an Oxxford charcoal pinstrip sport coat size 43R for $13.00. Too damn big for me!

13. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Not really a thrift store find, but someone was apparently cleaning out their closets and left stuff in our breakroom here at work. Lots of ties, the only quality one being a green and gold Aquascutum of London one that I snagged!

14. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Brooks Peal pebble grain cap-toe bluchers from the electronic uber-thrift store: $27.50 shipped. Took them to a shoe repair place and had them cleaned up, and they look nice. There's a cut on one of the toes, but for knock-around casual leather soled shoes, they'll do. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Where is the store located? If at all possible, please list the store's location.

Thanks,

Downtown on Princess Street. Pretty close to second cup if I remember correctly. It was called What'll I Wear or something like that.
    Cheers
    Jen

16. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Though they may try and single out the 'good' brands, obviously they don't know the truly quality items. The same thrift store that was selling the D&G jeans provided me with a big haul of Borrelli and T&A shirts a while back, for $4 each.
    Yes, that has been my experience with thrift--and even consignment--stores that try to single out quality items. They just don't have the breadth of knowledge to pull it off.

I'm hoping to hit a couple of thrift stores tomorrow. It's been pretty dry lately, though. [​IMG]

(I like the shoes, Jamison.)

17. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that's right, Alan. Something always slips through, but it sure is frustrating to watch them try. It's just not like it was back in the day. Where's my Knize suit and bespoke luggage?! Is that not my birthright?
    A couple of minor finds over the last few days:

Cashmere pullover vest made in Scotland for Bullock & Jones ($3.99). Small cashmere blanket tagged Gobi Cashmere (which a web search suggests is the Mongolian state concern); somewhat conservative styling but very high quality with much of the character of vintage Scottish cashmere ($6.99). NWOT woven ties by Drake's and Zegna--the Drake's is a rasberry and sky-blue micro-dot pattern with an irridescent sheen and the Zegna is a beautiful Dresden blue with persimmon colored diamonds and interlocking white dots ($1 each).
    I also found 7 yards of very nice green tweed cloth ($3.99) and a silk/wool/cashmere jacket by Caruso ($1) which I hope to pass on at cost. (The Caruso jacket is an Italian size 54 long which I will never grow into). I'll post details on the FS forum when I get things sorted out

18. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Well, serendipity strikes. Yesterday I found myself going to fill up the propane tank--I'll admit I'm no barbecue purist and readily resort to the convenience and superior firepower of the propane grill. After filling the tank I decided to just pop in to a really unproductive thrift down the street. Within five minutes my son had found some really great plastic fish and I had stumbled onto an olive brown Kiton suit from Wilkes Bashford; pants and jacket priced separately, $7.99 each. It's a little big for me (Italian size 56), but I couldn't just leave it sitting there, could I?

19. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

whenever i see pejsek as the most recent poster in this thread i prepare myself for jealousy

20. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

whenever i see pejsek as the most recent poster in this thread i prepare myself for jealousy
    Ain't it the truth.

I picked up--you guessed it--a couple of ties on Wednesday. A Trad's dream, an Atkinson's Irish Poplin and an Ede & Ravenscroft emblematic, both probably from the '70s, but perhaps earlier. They appeal to my innate Anglophilia (or Hibernophilia as the case may be). An old Trad must have gone to the great dinner club in the sky as there were a number of old vintage Brooks ties as well as some old Norman Hilton suits (not in good shape) and even an orphaned JPress suit coat.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.