• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need help. An Isaia 3btn 44 long but with 33" sleeves. Light brown/grey Maybe s heringbone or a shadow stripe. For $85?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the end of the coat sleeve to the length of the jacket is around 6-7". This is too long, right?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Congratulations! That looks to be a very fine sportcoat. Also, that fabric will make it very versatile. Also impressive is that you found it on your very first thrifting adventure! Few here have ever found a Kiton anything, let alone a sportcoat, even after many years of thrifting. Good for you!

I have had some success having shoulder padding removed. I think the most important thing is to find the right tailor to do it. Shortening sleeves and length is no problem, I do it on probably 75% of the jackets I find.

Maybe my next vacation will be to Berlin!

so you're saying you've removed the shoulder padding? how much does that run? also, what would my the shoulder area look like? the problem with my shoulders are they are wide and broad b/c i work out. sometimes when i put a jacket on the sides of the shoulder will indent in a little and that is tacky in my op. i think if i was to remove the pads then there wouldn't be an indentation. is this right?

how do you shorten the length? i saw a few nice suits today but it was too long. around 6-7" long.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Hey guys, felt the thread could use more pretty pictures, so here are some new items and some old ones that I never got around to reporting. Sadly none of them for me, the shoes have been sold already and the rest will be up on ebay soon (I say this not as an advertisement, but instead to be clear that I'm not fishing around for a buyer in these forums, I'm tired of trying to name a good price on styleforum and to save the headache I just throw stuff on ebay now and let nature take its course).

20101229igp4318.jpg

20101229igp4315.jpg

20101229igp4311.jpg

20101229igp4308.jpg

Florsheim patent leather formal shoes. Found these in a "free" box on the sidewalk.

20100908igp3838.jpg

Found these over the summer and didn't post about them at the time. My first pair of NWOB shoes, made by Santoni. I don't think I've ever seen this style of heel, where the entire sole is a continuous surface.

20101014igp3980.jpg

20101014igp3984.jpg

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
San Francisco thrifters: I passed on a beautiful cashmere (camelhair? I remember camelhair feeling rougher when I was a child, but it's that color; I didn't see a blend label) Brooks Brothers sports coat in 42 L at the Goodwill on Clement, for $14. There were also several BB 346 suits, including a grey glen plaid one that pissed me off for being a perfect fit in the chest and sleeves, but waaay too long. (I'm a 38R or S, usually, if that makes anybody wanna go check it out.)

I picked up a Rugby Ralph Lauren vest:

I have no idea when I'll wear that thing, but I figured, for four bucks, I'd like the option.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there are any Boston thrifters, I just donated a ton of older stuff to the Goodwill in Quincy, including a couple of Brooks Brothers navy blazers in 36S and a Boss (ugh, black) suit. Also gave away some lightly used J.Crew/BR shirts and chinos.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Had high hopes today by seeing all the cars in line to donate stuff today. Sadly, out of 7 stores, every one was a bust.
baldy[1].gif

I did meet up with member Achilles_ who happened to be in town. We did a thrift trade of sorts. I traded him a nice shirt for a pair of gray flat-front Incotex trousers. Fit looks about perfect, I may not even need to have them hemmed!

Glad the pants fit so perfect! Wore the purple shirt tonight to a party
laugh.gif

I hope that after the stores get the inventory out into the store some nice stuff will surface. I will be gone at that point unfortunately
frown.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
so you're saying you've removed the shoulder padding? how much does that run? also, what would my the shoulder area look like? the problem with my shoulders are they are wide and broad b/c i work out. sometimes when i put a jacket on the sides of the shoulder will indent in a little and that is tacky in my op. i think if i was to remove the pads then there wouldn't be an indentation. is this right?

how do you shorten the length? i saw a few nice suits today but it was too long. around 6-7" long.

yes, i've had padding removed. it didn't cost much, maybe $20 or so. it creates a more natural shoulder, but it can also lengthen the sleeve a bit, so that might have to also be adjusted. and yes, removing the padding can help eliminate the shoulder indentation, but if it's real bad that might be a sign that the shoulders are too wide and need to be taken in slightly. a jacket can only be shortened about 1" before it starts to throw off the balance.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
I think I put together a respectable new year's eve outfit from mainly thrift and discount stores.

Harris tweed sport coat: $5
Liberty of london made in italy tie: $2
Vintage tie clip: $1
ben sherman charcoal trousers: $12 at daffy's
(not pictured) alden cordovan plain toe bulchers in #8: $2 (I think I peaked early in my thrift store luck...)

1-1-11wjacket.jpg

1-1-11wojacket.jpg

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
yes, i've had padding removed. it didn't cost much, maybe $20 or so. it creates a more natural shoulder, but it can also lengthen the sleeve a bit, so that might have to also be adjusted. and yes, removing the padding can help eliminate the shoulder indentation, but if it's real bad that might be a sign that the shoulders are too wide and need to be taken in slightly. a jacket can only be shortened about 1" before it starts to throw off the balance.

Wait, I was told if the indentation is fairly noticeable that meant the shoulders are too tight, which meant it was pointless to alter it.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Yesterdays finds most of which arent my size just need to find new homes. Try to take pics today.

Hickey Freeman Bespoke Blue Blazer ($1.79)
Prada suit coat ($6.99)
Saks 5th avenue tan 100% cashmere blazer ($6.99)
3 NWOT Brooks Brothers shirts, 2 are my size! (less than 5 bucks each)
3 Ralph Lauren "Lauren" Sport Coats 2 my size! (under 5 bucks each)

Hope to make some good scores today with alot of the local thrift stores doing 1/2 off everything sales!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found at least two dozen Robert Talbott ties yesterday. Unfortunately they were all of flimsy construction and in early nineties patterns like they used to wear on Frasier:

E8828F4C93D5C7B12FC986832F079.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I've found that newer Talbott ties feel like they're made a lot better than the old ones too. Same with a lot of stuff. Zegna too. Their older stuff feels like garbage, but some of their newer stuff is amazing. What's the deal? I've heard of quality going down with time, but quality going up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads