• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
worship2.gif

There is ALWAYS time for thrifting. Just think about it: I bet a guy broke up with his girlfriend last night and she dropped his 7 Kitons off at the thrift store this morning. They're just sitting there, waiting for somebody to find them...
devil.gif

That happened to someone I know. He purchased a year old lexus gs300 (2002?) for $5K or something very little compared to what it was worth. The lady found out her husband was cheating, sold it to the first buyer, who was my friend, and rubbed it in his face. My friend basically got a $40K car for a fraction of the price. Talk about luck.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
That happened to someone I know. He purchased a year old lexus gs300 (2002?) for $5K or something very little compared to what it was worth. The lady found out her husband was cheating, sold it to the first buyer, who was my friend, and rubbed it in his face. My friend basically got a $40K car for a fraction of the price. Talk about luck.

That would be like hitting the Lotto. The big question would be to keep it or flip it, buy a cheaper ride, and pocket the difference?
decisions.gif

Jan_

Reaction score
After reading this thread for some time I got the idea to look for stuff myself. Yesterday and today, four stores in Berlin, two brought nothing, two delivered four nice shirts (brands unknown, but quality is fine) for EUR 7.50 and this one for EUR 19:

kitonthrift20101230.jpg

Obviously it could have my age. Padded shoulders, one little moth hole (but that's fixable), one size too big (sleeves and length both 1" too long), but no signs of wear and no need to slim it since the drop is okay. Will see whether I shorten the sleeves (at the armhole, of course).

The padded shoulders make it look terrible. Any ideas?

Anyway, I think I begin to like thrifting...
smile.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jan_
After reading this thread for some time I got the idea to look for stuff myself. Yesterday and today, four stores in Berlin, two brought nothing, two delivered four nice shirts (brands unknown, but quality is fine) for EUR 7.50 and this one for EUR 19:

kitonthrift20101230.jpg

Obviously it could have my age. Padded shoulders, one little moth hole (but that's fixable), one size too big (sleeves and length both 1" too long), but no signs of wear and no need to slim it since the drop is okay. Will see whether I shorten the sleeves (at the armhole, of course).

smile.gif

Nice find!

Gentleman,

As seen in the pic above, what is the point of having sleeves that can be unbuttoned on a jacket? I mean it's not like I would ever unbutton it while wearing it out, right? Just curious.

EBTX66

Reaction score

kitonthrift20101230.jpg

smile.gif

It is pretty easy for a tailor to take the padding out of the shoulders. If it's really heavily padded then it can make the shoulders too loose but since you plan on having the sleeves shortened at the shoulders your tailor is already going to have that area opened up. It probably won't be cheap - though you guys may have more tailors than we do - but for a Kiton it is well worth it. Great finds!

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find!

Gentleman,

As seen in the pic above, what is the point of having sleeves that can be unbuttoned on a jacket? I mean it's not like I would ever unbutton it while wearing it out, right? Just curious.

When you are going to perform surgery at a whim, you unbutton them and roll your sleeves up. Then you do your cutting and sewing without blooding your Kiton.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Made in England tweed, a Harris pattern that I did not have and fits. Also a nice JCrew tweed waistcoat, fits nicely. Passed couple of beat-up Aldens, and a nice but large for me CJ PoloRL loafer. Not in the mood for flipping. I left something for the next guy. Hopefully thrifting spirits do not punish me. Also a 42 Zegna overcoat. It was "Soft" , 25 bucks, and I did not like it. Again not in the flipping mood.
No Kitons! Never seen them or RLPL or anything like in the wild. Live in a trad area though.

Jan_

Reaction score

Either catside's answer or for all the non-medicos: Just to show that you wear some high quality stuff and not just decoration. It goes like this: "O I forgot to button my sleeves after washing my hands..."

It is pretty easy for a tailor to take the padding out of the shoulders. If it's really heavily padded then it can make the shoulders too loose but since you plan on having the sleeves shortened at the shoulders your tailor is already going to have that area opened up. It probably won't be cheap - though you guys may have more tailors than we do - but for a Kiton it is well worth it. Great finds!

The padding is only light on a second look (not 80s style). For shortening at the shoulders I pay around EUR 35-80 (depends on the tailor), which I don't consider as too much.

BTW: I saw a navy DB from a brand called "The Label" from UK. On a first superficial look it had some quality signs, on the net I found them to be sold retail for around GBP 150, so I guess they're nothing special. Anyone here knows more?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be like hitting the Lotto. The big question would be to keep it or flip it, buy a cheaper ride, and pocket the difference?
decisions.gif

We were in our early 20's so he kept it to "impress" the girls! Haha
Sadly, it worked

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Passed couple of beat-up Aldens, and a nice but large for me CJ PoloRL loafer. Not in the mood for flipping.

I my experience if condition is good, you should never pass CJ up. Especially if it is cordovan PRL. I dont know if this was, but there are plenty of us on SF, that would love to trade for them if they are not your size. Just my thoughts.

mco543

Reaction score
Today I found a great Barneys New York black/white houndstooth wool robe thats made in England for $6.00. It has a black shawl collar and black piping and trim on the sleeves and pockets. Pictures are coming later on.

Any ideas as to who would've made it

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smile.gif

Congratulations! That looks to be a very fine sportcoat. Also, that fabric will make it very versatile. Also impressive is that you found it on your very first thrifting adventure! Few here have ever found a Kiton anything, let alone a sportcoat, even after many years of thrifting. Good for you!

I have had some success having shoulder padding removed. I think the most important thing is to find the right tailor to do it. Shortening sleeves and length is no problem, I do it on probably 75% of the jackets I find.

Maybe my next vacation will be to Berlin!

hmmurdock

Reaction score
Good day yesterday...unfortunately all will need to find another home. Oxxford grey check suit, RLPL navy sportscoat, two pairs of Alden's Norwegians and the shocker of the trip...a pair of unworn brown pebble grain v-cleat Florsheim Imperials....if only I was a 11.5....sigh.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had high hopes today by seeing all the cars in line to donate stuff today. Sadly, out of 7 stores, every one was a bust.
baldy[1].gif
I did meet up with member Achilles_ who happened to be in town. We did a thrift trade of sorts. I traded him a nice shirt for a pair of gray flat-front Incotex trousers. Fit looks about perfect, I may not even need to have them hemmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads