• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stretchy, elasticized hem is a deal breaker for me. Always thought that looked pretty lame on leather jackets. Shame because otherwise it looks nice.

his opinion wasn't even necessarily directed at you, but rather the piece of clothing. i don't really think you need to be so defensive in this situation. i'm sure he has every right to have an opinion on a piece of clothing when you're not even in the picture itself...i don't understand.

The reason his post pissed me off is the vaguely worded reason for not liking the look of the jacket.

What's lame about it? Why isn't it (in his opinion) acceptable?

I have no problem with statements like, "It makes the jacket fit baggy through the chest" or whatever, but to just say that it looks like lame means absolutely nothing to me, nor should it to anyone else here. We're not talking about something as ironclad as color matching or material construction. There's not even a picture of anyone wearing the jacket. Explain why it looks bad as photographed, hanging on a hanger in my office.

If you're going to educate me, educate me; but don't play to the lowest common denominator and bash something just because you wouldn't personally wear it.

Anyway, I'm off to go for a ride. Maybe I'll post a fit pic, maybe I won't.

Last edited:

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason his post pissed me off is the vaguely worded reason for not liking the look of the jacket.

What's lame about it? Why isn't it (in his opinion) acceptable?

I have no problem with statements like, "It makes the jacket fit baggy through the chest" or whatever, but to just say that it looks like lame means absolutely nothing to me, nor should it to anyone else here. We're not talking about something as ironclad as color matching or material construction. There's not even a picture of anyone wearing the jacket. Explain why it looks bad as photographed, hanging on a hanger in my office.

If you're going to educate me, educate me; but don't play to the lowest common denominator and bash something just because you wouldn't personally wear it.

Anyway, I'm off to go for a ride. Maybe I'll post a fit pic, maybe I won't.

i'd be more worried at getting pissed off at someone on the internet for not liking the elastic hem of a leather jacket. i don't like shoes with thick tongues but i couldn't tell you why...i don't think that makes my opinion any less valid, i just think thick tongues look terrible.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, it was @Digmenow who first proposed that fit pics in this thread be without criticism unless explictly requested, but I dont recall a great deal of support for that as a rule (or any strong opinions either way, really). So, I dont think this is a written or unwritten rule.

Clearly someone wearing something not obviously CM or SW&D shouldnt be subject to advice or critique relevant to those genres, but to post pictures of what one is wearing to a forum about clothing and to not get feedback seems odd.
Probably worth debating, since it is the community that makes and enforces the "rules."
Considering that the critiques I've seen in this thread are the most forgiving in all of SF, I dont see the harmn in it myself.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lotta Dunhill

Ricci, Lanvin, Gitman

CHANEL!

and Hermes...real?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr G from SD

Reaction score
Are you guys finding these ties at the same store on the same day? If so that is a very impressive find. Best I found in one stop was 3 Brioni and a Charvet. Finding 10+ is pretty cool, gives me motivation to keep checking. We all get our turn, just have to keep at it.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys finding these ties at the same store on the same day? If so that is a very impressive find. Best I found in one stop was 3 Brioni and a Charvet. Finding 10+ is pretty cool, gives me motivation to keep checking. We all get our turn, just have to keep at it.
different days.

GMMcl found his stash yesterday. i assume htey came from the same store, though

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
different days.

GMMcl found his stash yesterday. i assume htey came from the same store, though

I'm guessing that fastlife followed the thinking that 'if they put out some good stuff, then they probably have much more in the back' and decided to clean house. Nicely done gents.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing that fastlife followed the thinking that 'if they put out some good stuff, then they probably have much more in the back' and decided to clean house. Nicely done gents.

Thanks all. I'm pretty happy. Had to leave quite a few ties that had slight damage too. Wonder if there is more in the back??

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's what i'd do if i was near their area :p

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm pretty happy. Had to leave quite a few ties that had slight damage too. Wonder if there is more in the back??
i'd go daily until they dry up...never know until you check.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I recall correctly, it was @Digmenow who first proposed that fit pics in this thread be without criticism unless explictly requested, but I dont recall a great deal of support for that as a rule (or any strong opinions either way, really). So, I dont think this is a written or unwritten rule.

Clearly someone wearing something not obviously CM or SW&D shouldnt be subject to advice or critique relevant to those genres, but to post pictures of what one is wearing to a forum about clothing and to not get feedback seems odd.
Probably worth debating, since it is the community that makes and enforces the "rules."
Considering that the critiques I've seen in this thread are the most forgiving in all of SF, I dont see the harmn in it myself.

Yep, it was me.

I just wanted to see the finds 'filled out' on actual people instead of draped across a bed or hanging from a closet door. I figured that fit critiques might discourage people from posting the thrift fits, hence that caveat. Oh well.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Take a breath dude, have a drink :D

He doesn't like the jacket, you do. Not a big deal, not worth increasing your blood pressure! Wear it in good health.

Yeah, I do tend to get worked up over stupid ****. I need to treat people I disagree with like I treat unhelpful reviews on Yelp or Larry David's comedy and just ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads