• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
Do you live in the city? If so the BART seems unnecessary (and costly). There are several bus lines that go there, but I usually just take the MUNI lightrail to Church Station and then walk down and take a left at 18th (Valencia is straight ahead). You'll walk right by bi-rite creamery, the best ice cream in the city.

If you have a BART pass and for some reason have to take it, the area is a little sketch, but not as much as hysterical people make it out to be. I've been there dozens of times without problems. Just dress cool, it's hotter there than anywhere else, and leave the valuables at home.

Go to Dolores park in the next ten minutes and you can see tye San Francisco Mime Troupe performing.

Yep I do! Very close to Powell St. Nah no BART pass... Guess I'll do the MUNI thing. Can't beat $2 for a round trip! And yeah the way people were describing the station, it sounded like someone dies there every day lol. I assumed it was much worse than the Tenderloin.

I won't be around Dolores Park in the next 10 minutes, but I think I'll go to those stores in about an hour or so!

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
You'll walk right by bi-rite creamery, the best ice cream in the city.
Now that is the damn truth. Also worth checking out for lunch a few blocks over is Ike's Place for the best sandwiches in town (if you aren't in a hurry, they get quite the line at times).

Too bad I didn't turn up anything last time I was in the city and did the rounds of these thrifts. My wife did find an amazing red dress though, so I'll go ahead and count that as a win.

Lokesh

Reaction score
So I went to those 3 thrift stores today. Was quite overwhelmed by the sheer number of things they have in there! I couldn't really find anything that I liked though...

And yeah I've been to Ike's! Stood in a line for 45 minutes to get a damn burger!! But that dirty sauce... mmmmmmm...

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an amazing (in an SF-approved sense) double-faced Drumohr cashmere vest for Jean Jacques Monaco. It's seriously heavy (must be well over a pound in weight) of closely-knitted dense cashmere, and is amazingly warm and luxurious. Photos to follow.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
double-faced Drumohr cashmere vest.

worship.gif
I must see pictures - I've been hunting for a Drumohr for ages.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some amazing Lands End loafers that I might keep.
Double sole, Metal V-Cleat, Made in USA,.... I wish LE made shoes like this today.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
worship.gif
I must see pictures - I've been hunting for a Drumohr for ages.

Here you go;

sam0331.jpg

sam0332c.jpg

BBC

Reaction score
^^ Wow, that's an amazing find. It's so thick it doesn't even look like it could be cashmere. And I love the pockets. Congrats and enjoy.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NVM

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been looking for a classic overcoat, found this today
IMAG0004.jpg
any idea about who made it? reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this?
IMAG0003.jpg
must be old
smile.gif
IMAG0002.jpg
[/quote]

Temujin

Reaction score
Here's a link to those shoes I mentioned last week, all 10.5 A:
Black, and Spectators are FL Imperials
Dark Browns are British Walkers
Light Brown are British Consuls by EC Gravestock, which, BTW, I still have not found anything about.

http://img33.imageshack.us/g/shoes1732.jpg/

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tale of two halves today - on the plus side I got some hand-sewn unlined tan leather gloves and a pair of Church's cordovan brogues from a consignment store at a fair price.

On the other hand, I found a truly phenomenal bespoke DB flannel suit in mid gray with light gray pinstripes which was way too big, and an SR bespoke SB which fit perfectly apart from sleeves 3" too short. Oh well....

Temujin

Reaction score
Found a pair of sz 8 black Sandro Moscoloni loafers, and finally, finally a Samuelsohn check sport coat in lana cashmere 85/15, just in time for fall. Made in Canada, but the fabric is made in Italy!
bounce2.gif
Also saw and passed on a 44L Hickey Freeman Collection black tux for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads