• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
A tale of two halves today - on the plus side I got some hand-sewn unlined tan leather gloves and a pair of Church's cordovan brogues from a consignment store at a fair price.

On the other hand, I found a truly phenomenal bespoke DB flannel suit in mid gray with light gray pinstripes which was way too big, and an SR bespoke SB which fit perfectly apart from sleeves 3" too short. Oh well....

post the glove photos!

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I trolled a few of my favorite thrifts and found a pair of vintage custom made burgundy shell cordovan plain toe bluchers from Kow Hoo of Hong Kong and they fit me! Thick firm soles with nice even heels. Someone treated these nice! Cost was $7.50, I spent two hours scrubbing off old darker polish, buffed them to a shine and wore them to work today!

This was half way through rubbing the right footed shoe, it was brutal and I see I'm still not done. I used the inside of an athletic sock and scrubbed hard I had to use the sock over a finger nail to clear polish from some creases where the lacing leather is stitched to the upper vamp. They smelled of lexol as though some one had preserved them in it, I am grateful because they are very supple and not dry in the least.

DSC05946.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
Yesterday I trolled a few of my favorite thrifts and found a pair of vintage custom made burgundy shell cordovan plain toe bluchers from Kow Hoo of Hong Kong and they fit me! Thick firm soles with nice even heels. Someone treated these nice! Cost was $7.50, I spent two hours scrubbing off old darker polish, buffed them to a shine and wore them to work today!

Pics? Before and after?
smile.gif

Doorstop

Reaction score

Congrats on the shoes, and please, help me out here. I have a pair of cordovans I thrifted that were just mucked up with old polish. What kind of brush did you use, and anything other than warm water?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
post the glove photos!

Here you go;

sam0359.jpg

I think I'm all done for casual gloves now - I've got unlined buckskins, these above, dark brown shearling, tan Venanzi peccary with cashmere lining and mid-brown Dents fur-lined...!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit my secret spot today. Came out with a few things: - Pal Ziliri windowpane sportcat - Mabro Houndstooth check sportcoat - My first ever thrifted Kiton item. A pair of navy striped trousers. Sadly, I fear these are orphans and someone purchased the jacket already. Still, I'm not gonna complain about finding my first Kiton for $2.99!
DSC02693.jpg
DSC02694.jpg
DSC02702.jpg
DSC02704.jpg

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Kiton. I think I spotted a fake Canali shirt, felt weird walking away from a nice
$5 Canali shirt and a $5 Armani Collezioni..

edaminski

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about

Giannelli

I found a nice shirt in my size. Liked the look so I grabbed it.

The only labels are the one in the collar that says;

Giannelli
Italy

and tag with 100% cotton

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
Congrats on the Kiton. I think I spotted a fake Canali shirt, felt weird walking away from a nice
$5 Canali shirt and a $5 Armani Collezioni..

I picked up a Canali Italy shirt w/ a made in China tag on it. I thought that was very curious myself.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^I'd keep my eye on the place to see if the Kiton jacket shows up.

Exactly my plan. Who knows, maybe more Kiton items will show up as well. There was a nice Cantarelli for Bergdorf Goodman suit jacket which I passed up. Had a tear in the arm and was also an orphan. Oh well - this place does indeed get good stuff, though!

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doorstop
Congrats on the shoes, and please, help me out here. I have a pair of cordovans I thrifted that were just mucked up with old polish. What kind of brush did you use, and anything other than warm water?

I have used a big (cobbler big!) brush and a cotton towel to scrub hard and wisk the leather to a brilliant shine if the oils are still extant in the leather and that worked well. Do not use acetone or alcohol to hasten the process, they will dry out the leather and you run the risk of it tearing, that happened to me with some vintage shell cordovans and it broke my heart. If you must cheat, you can actually use nuetral polish in small quantities on a cloth and the polish will come right off onto the towel each time you apply it and rub. This can safely be done on burgundy and black shell, I wouldn't do it to a lighter shell color for fear of slightly darkening the leather. You give us some b4 and after shots please!

At some point I'll buy the saphir and crema nubiana products that the serious guys here on SF use on their shoes (RIDER, REBEL 222, Distinctive, etc). Thats how you get the awe inspiring shine!

petrus81

Reaction score
Some great finds from the UK:

Three shirts, all in the same trip, a pink check Burberry, a bold stripe Ralph Lauren and a lilac oxford Brooks Bros: $3.75 each. Both the RL and BB were a little large over the chest, but the Burberry is a lovely tailored fit, immediately became part of my regular rotation.

Georgia

Reaction score

This was half way through rubbing the right footed shoe, it was brutal and I see I'm still not done. I used the inside of an athletic sock and scrubbed hard I had to use the sock over a finger nail to clear polish from some creases where the lacing leather is stitched to the upper vamp. They smelled of lexol as though some one had preserved them in it, I am grateful because they are very supple and not dry in the least.

DSC05946.jpg

GREAT shoes. I found a pair of Stuart McGuires like this last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads