The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    damn! stopped in at my favorite gw after my pupusa run for lunch and there was an absolutely gorgeous armani borgonuovo sportsjacket for like $8 ... amazing material. but it was 42L, not S. also, there was a nice black harris tweed that was 42s, but it was stanley blacker and i was too snobby.

2. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Just gonna let you know about my cobbler in case you don't have a good one where you live. They are a father and son team and very knowledgeable about the trade. They also operate a mail in service for out of towners. Here are there prices:
    14.95/pr of heels
    33.95/pr of full soles and heels
    25.95/pr for half soles
    16/pr of protective soles/toppies
    25/pr of protective soles/heels
    Their names are Jim & Hardy Johnson and their phone # is :865-689-6486

CUSTOM SHOE REBUILDERS
    5503 N. BROADWAY
    KNOXVILLE, TN 37918

Please let me know about other threads where this post would be welcome, or feel free to paste it there yourself

They'll slap a double sole with heels on my florsheim shell wingtips for $33.95? These guys will be flooded with business in no time!

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

what size?
    DV?
    Id love to see them.

Here are a couple pics. The 44 (windowpane) fits like a true 44.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. otc

otc Senior member

damn! stopped in at my favorite gw after my pupusa run for lunch and there was an absolutely gorgeous armani borgonuovo sportsjacket for like $8 ... amazing material. but it was 42L, not S. also, there was a nice black harris tweed that was 42s, but it was stanley blacker and i was too snobby.
    I would have taken it off your hands Edit: noticed it was a jacket and not a suit...probably still would have taken it off your hands though but I'd be more picky

5. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior member

Yeah I've always had luck at most thrift stores that I've been to. Some in Windsor, England were pretty cool. I've always wanted to try here in SF too but never knew where they were and which ones to go to! I hope to find out soon!

The two main areas I thrift are in the Mission and Haight-Ashbury. The Mission is probably best (also my girlfriends works in the area) because if you're ever in the mood you have Self Edge and Unionmade within walking distance. Community Thrift is right next to 18th & Valencia and they usually have some great stuff (plus the largest thrift store record collection in SF, I think). Just up two blocks on Mission is Thrift Town where they're having a big 30% off all clothes sale on Sunday and a 50% off sale on Monday. I always have good luck with ties here, but occasionally I score with suits (it's how I got my Hickey Freeman cashmere blazer).

Walk out Thrift Town and take a left and about a block and a half down you'll find a Goodwill. This place is definitely hit or miss, usually miss, but look around and you could get lucky (their ties suck, however). The next block is a more niche thrift store with some kind of vintage/cowboy theme. Go here to look at shoes (and boots) and generally wacky articles of clothing.

There are more places, but with a little searching you should find the good ones.

P.S. If you're a 46R forget everything I've told you.

6. BBC

BBC Senior member

Picked up this Oxxford suit yesterday at a thrift sale for $1.00. The fabric is an airforce blue with white pinstripe in a heavy worsted (the third pic shows the color next to a navy suit) Just need to take the suit in to have the sleeves shortened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Passed up on a Brioni 2B, twin vent, patch pocketed navy blazer the other day in a 44R, if anyone is interested.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Looks great and super-wearable, Cards! I need some of your luck, finding shells and Oxxford within a week or two!

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Picked up this Oxxford suit yesterday at a thrift sale for $1.00. The fabric is an airforce blue with white pinstripe in a heavy worsted (the third pic shows the color next to a navy suit) Just need to take the suit in to have the sleeves shortened.

You are absolutely out of control lately.

10. birdman59

birdman59 New Member

]Hi everyone, I found this forum through some Google search a few weeks ago, found this thread and got all excited. I went out and found this shirt at a thrift store in town for $2.25. I believe it is brand new but had no tags. Anyone have any idea it's worth? Couldn't find the exact one on the Brooks Brothers website. I bought it because it was so nice even though it is a lot too big for me. They also had a Brooks Brothers 2 piece suit for $10, how do I know if it has value? Shirt: Brooks Brothers size 18 6/7 dress shirt with the following on the tag: 346 The original polo shirt, Non-Iron, All Cotton, Made in Malaysia. I may post it for sale in the for sale forum, PM me if you are interested. [​IMG]

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you're interested in the value of something you thrift, look for comparables in eBay closed auctions.

12. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Grabbed a brand new corallorosso sportjacket at Nordstrom Rack 75% off $430; Norstrom list price $1050. It's got a super light canvass and very soft shoulders, either just the canvass and no padding or extremely minimal. Very pleased. Seems to be Isaia's housebrand for Nordstrom. Marked a 42S, but fits me in the chest and across the shoulders and I normally wear anywhere from 38R to 40S. It may cost me as much to get the button holes cut and sleeves finished as it did to buy the jacket.

13. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

The two main areas I thrift are in the Mission and Haight-Ashbury. The Mission is probably best (also my girlfriends works in the area) because if you're ever in the mood you have Self Edge and Unionmade within walking distance. Community Thrift is right next to 18th & Valencia and they usually have some great stuff (plus the largest thrift store record collection in SF, I think). Just up two blocks on Mission is Thrift Town where they're having a big 30% off all clothes sale on Sunday and a 50% off sale on Monday. I always have good luck with ties here, but occasionally I score with suits (it's how I got my Hickey Freeman cashmere blazer).

Walk out Thrift Town and take a left and about a block and a half down you'll find a Goodwill. This place is definitely hit or miss, usually miss, but look around and you could get lucky (their ties suck, however). The next block is a more niche thrift store with some kind of vintage/cowboy theme. Go here to look at shoes (and boots) and generally wacky articles of clothing.

There are more places, but with a little searching you should find the good ones.

P.S. If you're a 46R forget everything I've told you.

Sweet thanks for the tips! I'm going to head out to all of those stores today and see if I find anything interesting! I don't know my exact size yet. Generall an S, so I don't know what that equates to. But I'll go check it out anyway! Maybe I'll get lucky!
    BTW the easiest way to get there seems to be the BART, but everyone is saying that the 16th and Mission stop is very dangerous. I haven't been myself. Do you know if thats true?

14. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you think the 16th & Mission street bart station is dangerous, you should just move to Milpitas and be done with it.

15. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior member

Sweet thanks for the tips! I'm going to head out to all of those stores today and see if I find anything interesting! I don't know my exact size yet. Generall an S, so I don't know what that equates to. But I'll go check it out anyway! Maybe I'll get lucky!
    BTW the easiest way to get there seems to be the BART, but everyone is saying that the 16th and Mission stop is very dangerous. I haven't been myself. Do you know if thats true?

Do you live in the city? If so the BART seems unnecessary (and costly). There are several bus lines that go there, but I usually just take the MUNI lightrail to Church Station and then walk down and take a left at 18th (Valencia is straight ahead). You'll walk right by bi-rite creamery, the best ice cream in the city.

If you have a BART pass and for some reason have to take it, the area is a little sketch, but not as much as hysterical people make it out to be. I've been there dozens of times without problems. Just dress cool, it's hotter there than anywhere else, and leave the valuables at home.

Go to Dolores park in the next ten minutes and you can see tye San Francisco Mime Troupe performing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.