• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pair of AE Strands in an 11B. It is a little wide, but I might keep it.

Edit- Only paid $1

Sisko

Reaction score
Found a pair of Church's Consuls in v.good condition in a size close enough to my own 8.5 H, paid $10 AU.

Temujin

Reaction score
Found a beautiful midnight blue Majer blazer in my size. Gold buttons and all. What I really like is the iridescent burgundy lining. Out w/ the old RL, in w/ the Majer. Also found a nice online article that helped me know the difference between a blazer, sport jacket, odd jacket etc.
Also found an H. Freeman & Sons custom tailored gray pinstripe suit, jacket fits, pants are being altered. Been seeing a lot of Giorgio Brutini shirts lately. Didn't know they made anything other than shoes.

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Found a pair of AE Strands in an 11B. It is a little wide, but I might keep it.

Edit- Only paid $1

Strand is one of my favorite AE's. I have a pair in dark blue!

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Found a beautiful midnight blue Majer blazer in my size. Gold buttons and all. What I really like is the iridescent burgundy lining. Out w/ the old RL, in w/ the Majer. Also found a nice online article that helped me know the difference between a blazer, sport jacket, odd jacket etc. Also found an H. Freeman & Sons custom tailored gray pinstripe suit, jacket fits, pants are being altered. Been seeing a lot of Giorgio Brutini shirts lately. Didn't know they made anything other than shoes.
Nice find. I really like Majer stuff. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of either of those if you get a chance. Not much style related today, other than a really nice Hickey Freeman tan herringbone camelhair sportcoat, but I found some more nice outdoor stuff today... North Face reversible fleece/nylon jacket REI fleece pullover REI hiking shorts Nike ACG hiking shoes Columbia freezer shirt Some mammut rope, and a Petzl headlamp

lynch_king

Reaction score
I found an orphaned zegna suit coat, It's in a grey windowpane design.

What should i do with it. Can i pull it off as a dinner jacket? or a casual blazer or something?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at my local Salvation Army yesterday, and saw a great pair of Allen Edmonds chukka boots in like-new condition -- soft brown leather, with a strap going all the way around. But I had to pass because of the size - 13AAA. Couldn't possibly squeeze my 11.5 feet into them, and resale might be hard with that unusual size...

HOWEVER I did see an interesting little round end table with two opposing drawers and two opposing pull-outs. It had some scratches on the top, but the quality of the piece was evident. Looked kind of like this:

bs341-24.jpg

So I took out one of the drawers... had all the telltale signs of a quality piece -- dovetailing, solid wood on the sides and bottom of the drawer, reinforced points, etc. Then imagine my surprise when inside the drawer there's a metal oval plaque that reads "Baker"! So I guess when this piece was new, it cost between $2,000 and $4,000? That's what they seem to go for at the Baker store. Admittedly I'm a furniture newb, but isn't this the equivalent of finding a Kiton suit at a thrift shop? Has anybody else ever found any Baker or other high-end furniture at a thrift?

So tomorrow night I'm going to drop it off with a furniture restorer who will take out the scratches and basically get it looking like new for about $200...

I'll take pictures once it comes back from the repair shop!

Cost was $39.99... if I had waited until today, it would have been $30 (with 25% off) but of course didn't want to take the chance that it would have still been there today! Gladly paid the $10 "peace of mind insurance".
smile.gif

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

So tomorrow night I'm going to drop it off with a furniture restorer who will take out the scratches and basically get it looking like new for about $200...

I'll take pictures once it comes back from the repair shop!

Great find, but pause for a moment. Is this something you're going to keep or try to resell? If resell, then please don't mess with the original finish or have any scratches removed. Refinishing a piece of furniture of any age destroys much of its resale value.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Great find, but pause for a moment. Is this something you're going to keep or try to resell? If resell, then please don't mess with the original finish or have any scratches removed. Refinishing a piece of furniture of any age destroys much of its resale value.

Great advice, and it sounds like a great find!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC

Great advice... I even read on the furniture restorer's website his mantra of "less is more"... but I definitely want to keep this for myself... so I want to have it looking as good as possible -- like it could still be on the floor of the Baker showroom -- and looks like someone spilled a drink on one of the pull-out ledges so the finish is messed up a bit there, and it has a nick on the top of one of the drawers...

but I'll definitely take pics after I get it back and hopefully people can tell me as much as possible about it -- like what kind if woods it's made from, etc. It has beautiful inlay work all around it too... just a really neat piece and I would have to say it's my best thrift store find ever!
laugh.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Has anybody else ever found any Baker or other high-end furniture at a thrift?

I think I posted my dining table in the thread a few months ago...
Yellow blue-dot table for something like $25. It had a small chip in the surface and some wear on the edges. The chip was filled with epoxy filler and then my dad picked up a free bottle of matching touch up paint (his studio is right by their warehouse) which was used to touch up the edge damage and the filled in chip.

Not a thrift, but I have a pair of Wegner "the chair" that were acquired as left over furniture in an apartment I was subletting in school. They need the cane work replaced as they have clearly spent many years being abused by college students who probably found them at a yard sale or in the alley (there used to be a high-end Scandinavian furniture store in the neighborhood...an ex girlfriend of mine briefly possessed a nice danish teak table that was left behind by previous residents). I also know somebody who has pulled eames chairs out of dumpsters in years past...but of course finds like this are much rarer now as the mid-century stuff is back in.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Good finds the last few days:

- Polo Blue label seersucker sportcoat. 3/2. surgeon's cuffs, open patch pockets. Finding matching pants should be a breeze but I may pass: around here I see them worn as sportcoats but never as a full suit. - $4.99
- RLPL d/b orphaned suit jacket - the works, pick-stitching, ticket pocket, surgeon's cuff, 6 on 2, etc. It's a beautiful wool/cashmere in a dove gray color: I think it'll make a gorgeous spring/summer blazer if I swap the buttons out. I'm thinking maybe a dark blue or gray MOP. - $14.99
- At the same store I found the PL jacket I found a basket of NWT JosBanks ties that was on the floor. The owner was planning to put them out but hadn't gotten around to it. I talked to her while I looked at each one. Since I was already going through them I hung them up as I was going. When I was done she told me to pick any three I wanted. All for 10 minutes worth of work that I would have done anyway.
- Hugo Boss dress shirt in green - $3.99
- Austin Reed plain front dress pants in gray sharkskin - $4.99
- Borrelli dress shirt - this one in my size! - $3.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics