The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I found a Zegna sport coat today that looked like denim. In about a 40R/L. I passed but was wondering if that would be something anyone would wear.

I also found a beautiful navy Zegna jacket in navy. Orphan but one could convert the buttons. About a 44L. Oh yeah, and a very cool brown/black houndstooth Zegna sports coat. It was a Zegna day

2. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

A lucky strike today after struggling through some thifters malaise lately. I found another goody - a sweet navy blue with pale rose & maize windowpane Isaia Napoli 100% cashmere jacket. 3 button side vented with working cuffs. Luck was with me again as its sized to fit me at 44L.

[​IMG]

3. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

A lucky strike today after struggling through some thifters malaise lately. I found another goody - a sweet navy blue with pale rose & maize windowpane Isaia Napoli 100% cashmere jacket. 3 button side vented with working cuffs. Luck was with me again as its sized to fit me at 44L.

[​IMG]

Awesome find, I have yet to even see an Isaia in my thrifting.

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Found a 4 or 5 Brooks Brothers Makers ties today. Only paid $1 for each.

5. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Had a good run today:

Johnston and Murphy Wingtip:
    [​IMG]

Vintage Dior Tie:
    [​IMG]

Major score for me -- "made in France" Glenn Plaid YSL Jacket -- Sending it to the tailor tomorrow to get the sleeves shortened and the Jacket taken in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG]

Damn! Nice score!

7. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

In the middle of a week-long honeymoon right now. Yesterday me and the new misses were driving around South Lake Tahoe and visited 5 thrifts we were able to find. Not much to find though. At one store I started to get excited about a white Borrelli shirt, but it had stains and a monogram on the cuff. At the end of the day my only purchase was a white button-down J-Crew shirt.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

In the middle of a week-long honeymoon right now. Yesterday me and the new misses were driving around South Lake Tahoe and visited 5 thrifts we were able to find. Not much to find though. At one store I started to get excited about a white Borrelli shirt, but it had stains and a monogram on the cuff. At the end of the day my only purchase was a white button-down J-Crew shirt.
    I usually try to restrain my pedantry, but here's one place it's important. Missus = your new wife Misses = plural unmarried women [​IMG] Congratulations!

9. Sisko

Sisko New Member

Had a good run today:

Johnston and Murphy Wingtip:

The colours on those shoes! Damm!

10. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Just found some Ermenegildo Zegna khakis, in escellent condition, and they pretty much fit! (they measure 34x31, which might be an inch short. I'll probably let the cuffs down). I had never found anything Zegna before. Front has a single pleat on each side.

11. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

^^ Nice score on the Borrelli! I actually found something today! Amazing, first find in almost two weeks!

- MTM Isaia shirt
    - Vintage (60's) Charvet tie

[/IMG]

Great finds! That's a sweet way to break a dry spell. I admire your restraint: when I have a dry spell I often end up trying to break it artificially by buying something I'd normally pass on or I hit eBay.

Epic! [​IMG]

Just found some Ermenegildo Zegna khakis, in escellent condition, and they pretty much fit! (they measure 34x31, which might be an inch short. I'll probably let the cuffs down). I had never found anything Zegna before. Front has a single pleat on each side.

Great find. I live in khakis but other than a pair of Tommy Bahama silk/cotton plain fronts with the $125 tag still on them I have never seen anything above a Dockers/Polo variety. I'd love to score some Bill's or Zegna's. Looking around the office 80% of the guys in here are wearing khakis so I guess not many survive intact to the thrifting stage.

12. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

Finally found my first pair of good shoes.

Nettleton Longwings in pebble grain like new, looked to have been worn only a couple times

8D if anyone is interested I'll post pics.

13. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

Finally found my first pair of good shoes.

Nettleton Longwings in pebble grain like new, looked to have been worn only a couple times

8D if anyone is interested I'll post pics.

Those sound very nice indeed. Way too small for me, but I would love to see pics anyway.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

HOWEVER I did see an interesting little round end table with two opposing drawers and two opposing pull-outs. It had some scratches on the top, but the quality of the piece was evident. Looked kind of like this:

[​IMG]

So I took out one of the drawers... had all the telltale signs of a quality piece -- dovetailing, solid wood on the sides and bottom of the drawer, reinforced points, etc. Then imagine my surprise when inside the drawer there's a metal oval plaque that reads "Baker"! So I guess when this piece was new, it cost between $2,000 and $4,000? That's what they seem to go for at the Baker store. Admittedly I'm a furniture newb, but isn't this the equivalent of finding a Kiton suit at a thrift shop? Has anybody else ever found any Baker or other high-end furniture at a thrift?

Wow - how did I miss reading this? Awesome score! I'm no expert on furniture either, but that table looks beautiful. Can't wait to see pics of it!

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

HOWEVER I did see an interesting little round end table with two opposing drawers and two opposing pull-outs. It had some scratches on the top, but the quality of the piece was evident. Looked kind of like this:

[​IMG]

Yo Jinda, if thats a 44 I'll buy it off you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.