• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejay1

Reaction score
I decided to play dress up with my mannequin and I solicit your critiques or suggestions on the thrifted outfit before I wear it on myself. Does it work?

In particular- pattern scale (shirt & coat), fiber textures (silk square ok?) and of course, colors. TIA

All thrifted except for sport coat (nSuited flash sale)
coat: Belvest (wool,mohair,cashmere)
shirt: Loro piana (cotton)
tie: Borrelli (cashmere/silk)
square: Santorelli (silk)

ejay1

Reaction score
I'd much rather see it with a plain blue shirt rather than what you currently have. It's a but busy at the moment, but the colors do say fall. Give it a shot with blue and see what you think.

I was sort of attempting to emulate Stanley Korshak's presentations and if you notice, the green lines in the shirt almost exactly match the subtle green in the coat. But I do see now that it does look quite busy with the number of varying patterns. Thanks for the input.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is the haul this evening from the GW near my house that I only had 20 minutes the prior day to go through. I still didn't finish and left some potential nice items after looking them up that I'm going back for.

Anyway here they are:

Yves Saint Laurent Tweed Jacket - maybe 38-40R

Donegal Magee Tweed - again 38-40R (haven't measured either yet - just eyeball sizing)

Patagonia Organic Chinos, 36

Brooks Brothers tan Chinos, 33/34

Orvis Hiking Pants? size 32

Bespoke Shirt with MOP buttons. Size 16.5 slim-extra slim. This one is mine and fits absolutely perfect.

Similar bespoke with MOP. 16-16.5 slim to extra slim. French Cuff. Initials RL on cuff. Think I can pawn this off as a Ralph Lauren, lol. Fits perfect as well, but not sure I use FC shirts much.

There were 2 other bespoke, MOP french cuffs I left behind from the same donor. Might go back and grab them, but not sure if they are worth it to flip with no label.

Lorenzini. 16 32/33

Thomas Pink

Ted Baker. Looks unworn. 16 32/33

Orvis Super heavy Flanel like shirt. Size M

Left behind a similiar Viyella that I'm going back for tomorrow.

Also ran across 4 Polo Ralph Lauren Blue Label Chinos. Are these worth picking up?
Made in Italy, yes. Made in USA, maybe. Made in anywhere else, no. But YMMV.

bboowwyy

Reaction score
Luciano Barbera 'club' sold navy suit - EU 54 (Available)

Ties - L to R
Ferragamo, Zegna, Zegna, Hermes

Belts - L to R
YSL, Trussardi, no-name

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Honor of Wes, I submit my first ever official Tweed fit!! Just got it back from the tailor last night.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chalk another one up for LA.

The game itself was terrible last night, but these were our gifted seats.

No zoom.

wilay05

Reaction score

I find a $1000 record for $3.50 and all I get is one reply. Tough audience!

On another totally unrelated note, I'm heading to Denver, CO, in a few weeks and was planning to hit up the Avalance - Hurricanes game. Anyone want to grab a brew before or after, give me a hollar!

Didn't realize the record was worth that much! Great find!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd much rather see it with a plain blue shirt rather than what you currently have. It's a but busy at the moment, but the colors do say fall. Give it a shot with blue and see what you think.

I was sort of attempting to emulate Stanley Korshak's presentations and if you notice, the green lines in the shirt almost exactly match the subtle green in the coat. But I do see now that it does look quite busy with the number of varying patterns. Thanks for the input.

Mixing patterns is a delicate business. I certainly understand the allure, but I've come to realize it's really easy to overdo.
That shirt seems a bit casual -- the check is neither large nor small, which means it's intended to be the focal point. It needs to be smaller to work with the boldness of that jacket. The stripes on the tie are similarly fighting the scale of the others.
If this is the direction you want to go, I'd go tighter check on the shirt and a plain burgundy tie -- maybe a knit wool or cashmere; grenadine in a pinch.

GM-H

Reaction score
So i just got a pair of LVC 1966 501's and they fit well everywhere but the waist. Anyone have any experience with how much the waist will stretch on 501s??

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit. 100% thrifted, traded here for thrifted goods, or bought at substantial discount in a discount store. Note the large/small patterns with a solid tie for focal. And the gray flannel trou. Posting here as a HUGE SHOUT OUT to MZHams for an AWESOME deal on this Khulman.
Details: Khulman Borrelli Vintage wool knit Unknown hand rolled wool Trafalgar Vintage Kilgour Panthy TBNY

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Details:
Khulman
Borrelli
Vintage wool knit
Unknown hand rolled wool
Trafalgar
Vintage Kilgour
Panthy
TBNY
Dude that fits you perfect. It's killer, glad it went to a good home! can't see the ticket pocket though!

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMMcL, that is a great look. Especially the jacket.
Jacket looks more country, and shirt may be a bit too city for it. I dunno...
The maroon tie plays off well for a color, but maybe a tie with a bit more substance or width to keep up with them lapels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads