• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting... in the Cleveland area, the GWs are all over the place in price. Curiously, I found that the GWs in the better neighborhoods are priced lower in general than the ones in the bad neighborhoods. Shirts for example are a flat $4.35 around me (no distinction between labels), but $6-$10 elsewhere, depending on the label.

In Austin, it's exactly the opposite. GW in the good neighborhoods are easily twice as much as the others, but the selection is fantastic. Scored a black chalk-striped Polo flannel suit in fantastic condition, made in USA.

Speaking of Austin and approaching suspected StyleForum thrifters, I could have sworn I saw some today around 6pm. We need a secret hand signal or something to alleviate that awkward introduction.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Speaking of Austin and approaching suspected StyleForum thrifters, I could have sworn I saw some today around 6pm. We need a secret hand signal or something to alleviate that awkward introduction.

I believe you're supposed to kick the nearest cart.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote:
Those of us who joined the scavenger hunt (and snap photos all over the store) have no problem being noticed by other members(and everyone else in the store too). Just saying.
nest.gif

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those of us who joined the scavenger hunt (and snap photos all over the store) have no problem being noticed by other members(and everyone else in the store too). Just saying.:nest:

Is that an invitation or a challenge? :)

dz-015

Reaction score
Not a lot of stuff this week, nowhere near the volume of the regulars - I did pick up my first suit and blazers, but only one my size
ffffuuuu.gif
. The one that fit is a Magee Donegal tweed blazer, which in is for altering at my tailor.

I wasn't sure if this was a good pick up at the time I bought it- the Damiani name threw me off. But it is available, size Euro 56. It has gold trimmed onyx?-like buttons, but some have scuffs on them. It is not as deep and vivid a blue as the full pic appears to be, but more like the navy blue in the button pics.

This Brooks Brothers suit was a 44R, so too big for me. I think the cashier made a mistake and rang me out at $4.35.
Is this an older BB label?

Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35.
Slightly long in the shoulders. Alteration: waist taken in.

Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35.
More BB. Nice casual plaid that I should have ironed first. Alteration: waist taken in.

Ted Baker Necktie - $2.00.
My first Ted Baker. A bit flashy so more of a casual tie, here worn with a summer linen blazer.

Zegna Necktie - $1.99.
My first Zegna also.

aglose

Reaction score
Looks like making. the rowing team could save my life, the whole dang town will. Be underwater here soon.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one thrift leads to 2, 2 leads to 3 and before you know it you're lying face down in a pile of moth destroyed Stafford blazers and don't know what's happened for the last 72hrs!
puzzled.gif
rotflmao.gif
More likening this to a horrible addiction, I agree wholeheartedly. This game is for those with enthusiastic or at least understanding (and enabling) significant others.

Nice :D Lodenfrey is a big store in munich. As you can see, it was made by Steinbock form Austria. It is a typical mohair blended Loden Coat. Loden is great, because it is very tough, water- and windproof. Here you can see, how Loden is made: http://www.lodenwalker.at/cms/
I'm going to be in your neighborhood for the kick off of Oktoberfest, I'm so psyched! My 7th visit to Germany, the first one that will actually be a vacation. Promise I won't hit the thrifts there. No I don't.

Those are the only one's I clicked on too.
Not what I meant to quote, but it was regarding those RLPL shoes, there are only 2 left and one is in my size. Must....resist....have....to....save....for.....vacation....

Ralph Lauren Rugby shirt campus classics brushed flannel. Where do these stand in the RL hierarchy?

Discontinued brand, I think the ones with skull and crossbones logo sell better. There are some cool ones out there.
Not a fan of the tie, but that blazer is awesome. Are you using some sort of instragram photo app to get those pics like that?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like making. the rowing team could save my life, the whole dang town will. Be underwater here soon.
this reminds me of a funny story from my crew days, which I won't do justice because I'm on my phone.
We were doing a fundraiser where we were going to row 10 miles or some absurd distance, and we would be making money for every mile we went. The year I rowed for Cal Lightweights was the el Nino year, so it had already started the biblical flood. But the team needed Money, so the event went on.
The rain wasn't the problem so much as the chop. We practiced on the Oakland Estuary, which is an inter tidal and quite large. So there was plenty of fetch and therefore plenty of chop. As we started, we noticed a bit of slop over the gunwales. Then more. Then the cox started bailing the boat with her latte cup. Then our footplates were under water. And then some genius got spooked and called out, no joke, "abandon ship!" And 9 rational, highly educated college students jumped out of a perfectly seaworthy, $10,000 piece of precision equipment with basically no plan in mind.
I had over a dozen years on the swim team and nearly a half dozen as a beach lifeguard and swim instructor. So I am swimming around teaching the guys who don't know how to swim how to breathe down their shirt to inflate it and helping people to shore. Then I realize the Empacher is in the middle of the shipping lane, drifting aimlessly. So I swim out and grab it.
I was a ridiculous, hilarious scene seeing 8 soaking wet 20-some things carrying a boat over their head (with one bossy, petite 20-something lady yelling at them and carrying oars awkwardly) for a mile through the Oakland longshore district.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are doing it right, you're never in the water. So yes. Most of these guys picked it up in college, and some came from central California. Not that they didn't have pools, but its not like they were surfers either. Most tended to have run cross country.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35. Slightly long in the shoulders. Alteration: waist taken in. Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35. More BB. Nice casual plaid that I should have ironed first. Alteration: waist taken in.
These are from Brooks' Country Club line. The second is particularly nice. When they're on sale they're a pretty decent buy.

ScottW

Reaction score
Just made the collegiate rowing team. Spent lots of time and will spend loads more on one of these.

I'm originally from Wheat Ridge. Where are you rowing in Colorado? I mean besides Pearl Street through the middle of Boulder earlier today. I don't remember very many significant waterways. Do you just get in a reservoir and go in circles?
These are from Brooks' Country Club line. The second is particularly nice. When they're on sale they're a pretty decent buy.
+1 on BBCC. The thrift stores don't recognize the label so they're less likely to be put on the "boutique" rack compared to the regular line.

I see the ones poasted are M/L though. Rather than paying a tailor take in the waist on thrifted shirts, that money would be better spent on postage to ship them to me!

aglose

Reaction score
^ We go to Boulder res and row around the res. Our boats might well be underwater though with the recent 48 hour downpour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members