1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

I've been on a cold streak for the past two weeks, so I'm reverting to ebay as well. Only thing I'm really in the market for are BB Slim Fit (or XSF) shirts and there seem to be a lot in my size, but they're all outlet finds with the line through the tag.

Cannot wait for tomorrow...on the road for work and passing by 6 thrifts/cosigns!!

2. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I found a pair of Moreshci Italian shoes sz 13 black cap toe. Their web site said it is peccary leather!
    PM me if interested, before I ebay them.

3. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

I've been too busy to take pictures and post about most of my finds over the past 3 weeks or so, but I've found some good stuff.

For the last 3 weeks I've been going to a particular thrift store every Friday morning, and each week I've bought a bag of some sort.

The first week is the best. I found a NWT Holland Brothers (now they are Mulholland Brothers) weekend canvas and leather bag that was part of a promo giving them away to people who bought Land Rovers. This will be a father's day present for my Dad since he's notoriously difficult to shop for. Got it for $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second week I found a very good condition canvas garment bag from Eddie Bauer. Couldn't find anything online that looked like this, but it has the Ford logo as you can see, so it might have been related to their SUV's (some other promotional campaign?). This one was $4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last Friday I found a tan leather briefcase from McGuire Nicholas, which apparently are mostly known for toolbelts and pouches, I can't find anything resembling this briefcase online. Not exactly a steal, as I paid $25, but it looks nice and was at least worth that much for my own use.

4. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Finally ended my unreal cold streak with nothing spectacular, but good finds nonetheless. Scored a beautiful Salvatore Pellegrino tie and a pair of Brooks Brothers Elliot Chinos in my size (33 x 30). Nothing great, but I'm happy with something at this point! Hopefully this weekend brings some finds as I'm going away for the weekend and shopping new territory.

I tried on the BB Chinos and they don't fit all that great on me. If there is any interest, PM me and I'll get some pics.

5. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Casmir, that land rover mulholland bag is an excellent find at an outstanding price. I found one a year ago, same company, also for land rover, but with a different shape / style. Same idea, though, with canvas body, brass hardware, and leather details, strap, trim. They're really well-made and look great.

6. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

The second week I found a very good condition canvas garment bag from Eddie Bauer... This one was $4.

[​IMG]

I haven't had any luck with luggage, though I admit I don't always hit that department. I've been looking for something exactly like that. Great find!

7. Taken Aback

Taken Aback Senior member

The second week I found a very good condition canvas garment bag from Eddie Bauer. Couldn't find anything online that looked like this, but it has the Ford logo as you can see, so it might have been related to their SUV's (some other promotional campaign?). This one was $4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn, I think that might be older. I remember one of these from years ago, from which I still have some hangers. In fact, had you not posted the image, I probably would never have remembered where I got those damn hangers from. [​IMG]

8. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

[​IMG]

I haven't had any luck with luggage, though I admit I don't always hit that department. I've been looking for something exactly like that. Great find!

Interestingly enough I was just at a Salvation Army and for some reason I can't comprehend, they were swimming in garment bag luggage. They had 6 of them, all from different makers. Including a Samsonite (which had some sort of weird gunk on the inside lining, wasn't sure how easy it would be to clean), a Fifth Avenue (in a not terribly attractive floral pattern), and one that I'm almost certain (now that I am home on the internet) is this Mulholland Brothers bag in very good condition:
    http://shopmulholland.com/product.ht...ct=CSE6053-HZB

I might try and go back for that last one tomorrow. I was thrown in the store, because it's markings don't quite jive. One one leather patch it says only "Mulholland" instead of "Mulholland Brothers". And on the round patch on the front it has what looks like a very ornate "S" for some reason. But everything else is identical. Does this make sense to anyone?

Also found a pair of very nice condition black AE McAllisters in... wait for it... size 16d. A few creases on the uppers (looks like no shoe trees were used), and the soles look like they were worn 10 times on carpet, if that. Left them because... well, who wears a 16?

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

At a guess, somebody died and the people donating the wardrobe to the store stuck it all the the garment bags he had around to deliver it?

And 16? Holy shit.

10. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Found a brand new Canali shirt today, size 43|17 At least I assume it's new because the cloth looks unwashed and the plastic collar retainer is still in place.

Unfortunately one of the buttons had some sort of accident:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite my size, anyone want it?

11. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

Some good finds last week

Brioni Dress shirt
    RLPL dress shirt
    two LL bean shirts

I love the way the old LL Bean shirts fit. The Brioni and RLPL both had stains on them, pics after they get cleaned. Both are XXL and might be up for sale.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

size 16d. (looks like no shoe trees were used)

Well fuck man - you would need an actual tree for the shoe then.

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Found a brand new Canali shirt today, size 43|17 At least I assume it's new because the cloth looks unwashed and the plastic collar retainer is still in place.

Unfortunately one of the buttons had some sort of accident:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite my size, anyone want it?

Pix aren't showing but that is my size. Would like to see.

14. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Been on vacation and haven't really been thrifting. Went today and found an awesome vintage Oxxford light grey flannel suit. Too bad the pants had too much wear to make taking the suit worth it. Thought about just taking the jacket, but I already have a grey flannel jacket and it wasn't quite my size.

Also, and it really pains me to say this because I've really loved this thread, and I feel a certain kinship with many of you ... But between the whining about crappy finds, corrupt thrift store managers and voracious flippers, the anti-semitism, and the abundance of garbage that newbies are posting as "finds" (sorry but it had to be said), this thread is really going down the crapper. Not trying to make enemies here, but can we all show a little restraint and keep the posts to relevant and valuable thrifting finds? My suggestion is that if you're not sure on what you've found, err on the side of caution and keep it to yourself or seek assistance from one of the more knowledgeable thrifters (i.e., not me necessarily).

Sorry guys, just trying to keep it real here ...

15. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Pix aren't showing but that is my size. Would like to see.
    Imageshack is acting funny for some reason... give me a second. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.