The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Found a couple of nice things yesterday. All are available if you are interested PM me.
    Brioni DB Navy Jacket 42 L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Jacket 44R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also not pictured a couple of pair of Zanella trousers size 35 & 46. I always feels good to find something worth getting.

2. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Well I had a great week for shoes! 2 pairs of Florshiem Wingtips one being cordovan, Hanover suede, cordwainer cordovan, E.T. Wright and some cool Toschi shoes with carbon fiber on the inside.

Solid finds. They may not be EG's, but if those are all the same size/same donor, that's a pretty nice start to a shoe collection.

3. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

As I'm leaving an out of the way thrift store yesterday I glance in the case and see a box for the Canon Rebal XSi, marked at $25. I ask the guy to take it out... and we find a Fuji Finepix in the box.

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Found these today. They are for sale or trade.
    Made in Chicago Simplex Vintage Shoe Trees
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

My first Hickey Freeman!!! It's UUGLYYY! But still for .99...
    Also I saw an orphaned jacket, the label said "H. Freeman & Sons". Is this also Hickey Freeman?
    It was navy with a light blue pinstripe about 3/4 inches apart.
    [​IMG]

6. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

My first Oxxford suit! Man I hope the pants clean up! Passed on 3 others because until this week I didn't know the correct spelling is with 2 x's. DANG it!! And it's my size!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

My first Oxxford suit! Man I hope the pants clean up! Passed on 3 others because until this week I didn't know the correct spelling is with 2 x's. DANG it!! And it's my size!

Great find.

8. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Cole Haan 10.5 brown split toe Oxfords. They are surface scuffed pretty badly, so I will strip and re- dye before selling.
    J&M Heritage cap toe, brown 8.5. Also a re-dye project.
    vintage AE loafers in brown 9.5C
    Alden 8.5 D black loafers. A third dye project, or perhaps just stripping the old stuff off, also a re-heel.
    Cole Haan black loafers, made in England. 13 A ( for an ice skater, no doubt)
    Moreschi black cap toe oxfords 13 D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a woven black blazer by Prada this morning. 3 btn, single vent. $3.99 [​IMG] I've noticed something something very odd over the past week. The Salvation Army has been lowering their prices! I went to three stores including their main store/center today. Recent stock (put out within the last week or two) was priced as follows: Ties were .25 to .50 each. Shirts were .99 to $2. Trousers were $.99 to $2. Jackets were $2 to $4. Suits were $4 to $6. I sure hope this lasts! This is where I got the Prada blazer, luckily.

10. CasmirRadon

I've noticed something something very odd over the past week. The Salvation Army has been lowering their prices! I went to three stores including their main store/center today. Recent stock (put out within the last week or two) was priced as follows: Ties were .25 to .50 each. Shirts were .99 to $2. Trousers were $.99 to $2. Jackets were $2 to $4. Suits were $4 to $6. I sure hope this lasts! This is where I got the Prada blazer, luckily.

I wish that was happening here. Hard to take a chance on some things, like whether I can get the stains out of a jacket with a good cleaning, when the prices are prohibitively high.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Also I saw an orphaned jacket, the label said "H. Freeman & Sons". Is this also Hickey Freeman?

H Freeman is a different company (based out of Philadelphia). They still produce MTM suits for many of the finer mens shops that retail (ballpark) from about $700-$1200. The quality seems very good in the pieces I've encountered.

12. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Congratulations! Now, the hardest part will be controlling yourself. My early days were filled with purchases that I didn't really like/want/need but I picked them up anyway because of the label. It's tough, but trust us, plenty of stuff will eventually come your way.

I like the Oxxford. I'm not sure it's a safe recommendation but I've used the vinegar/Oxy-Clean magic elixir on suits to great success. Oxy-Clean says not to use it on wool but its never damaged any of my stuff.

I've picked up orphaned suit jackets and used them as sportcoats but a pinstripe is really tough to pull off.

13. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I've noticed something something very odd over the past week. The Salvation Army has been lowering their prices! I went to three stores including their main store/center today. Recent stock (put out within the last week or two) was priced as follows: Ties were .25 to .50 each. Shirts were .99 to $2. Trousers were $.99 to $2. Jackets were $2 to $4. Suits were $4 to $6. I sure hope this lasts! This is where I got the Prada blazer, luckily.

I wish that was happening here. SA is one of my most expensive stops: suits are $34.99, shoes are $24.99, designer shirts $12.99, etc.

14. CasmirRadon

Congratulations! Now, the hardest part will be controlling yourself. My early days were filled with purchases that I didn't really like/want/need but I picked them up anyway because of the label. It's tough, but trust us, plenty of stuff will eventually come your way.

This is the damn truth. I'm still trying to teach myself that last part though. I've got a bunch of impulsive purchases in the garage that I need to unload, bought because I either didn't understand well enough what would actually fit me... or because I had a relative or friend in mind and that didn't work out either.

I suppose that means some people will end up getting some fairly nice items (Oxxford suits, HSM Gold trumpeter suit, RLPL shirt, too bad nothing fits me) on the cheap. Just need to take the time to take pics, measurements, etc.

Now that I know how much work it takes, I'll focus a lot more on what I'll actually wear myself, and leave the rest.

15. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'm learning to be more selective as well. I've had several "finds" that I ended up donating back. Does anyone really need an ugly 4" Robert Talbott ties just because it's Robert Talbott?

A couple weeks ago I saw a Pal Zileri. Got really excited because it's the first one I've ever come across. After I looked at it, it had a slight dry cleaner sheen so I left it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.