• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I came across a peak lapeled tux that I assume was custom made since it had a date label...from 1940. It was pretty worn in some areas, but had grosgrain facing and stripes. Would this sort of thing be worth something?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this legit?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also am getting into vinyl now because of you freaks. Been picky picky picky at thrift stores, the sifting is not getting me much, ha. Except for some extraordinary classical recordings -- am astounded at the 4-record boxed sets on good labels (Angel, Deutsche Grammophon, etc) shrinkwrapped for a buck. That's where the value is in thrift store vinyl up here at least it seems. A lot of Mitch Miller and Ray Conniff and Montovani Orchestra and Barry Manilow to sift through. Someone crapped a ton of Herb Alpert, Al Hirt and Greek folk LPs in all our SAs and Goodwills up here. But a few things can be grabbed among the dreck.

However this place was like a shot of music heroin, OMG it basically bled me of the few Spoo profits I had sitting around ha burning money on Jimmy Smith and Ramsey Lewis and all manner of vintage keyboad jazz and soul-jazz and O yeah a couple PRestige-Era Miles records I adore. And blues, too.

Wow - Looks like a cool place to spend 3 or so hours crate digging! Also, sorry to hear about your losses. :(

Today's finds,
Collapsible light box

And another first for me, Nom De Guerre hooded toggle cardigan. Made in Japan.

:slayer::slayer:

Not exactly sure what I am looking at here. Anybody familiar with Borrelli's luxury vintage line?

What eddie said! Nice find!

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

About as ancient as they come I would say. But I was fooled by one earlier.

Yeah, the style of the tie and the label makes me think 70s or earlier, but I haven't come across this label yet online.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Eazy, you still have this? Might have something to go with it....

I sure do! :lurk:

Quote:

Just want you to know I gave you a thumb for that fit, but you really ought to get the pants tapered a bit. Also, Alden makes Peal & Co? I thought Peal was always made by C&J or Sargent.

Montreal-based company where they send you several things every month, and whatever you send back whatever you don't like. Everything under $50. Unless it fits you well, it probably isn't worth it. Kind of an abhorrent business model if you ask me, but it is smart for people who wouldn't otherwise go shopping (read: most guys).

Depends on the price, but it looks like kind of a cool piece.

What size IS it?

It's a large I believe. I can check when I get home.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between thrifting and discount I have been forced into a serious culling of my wardrobe. Going through pants and you'll never guess what rolled outta my pockets...

A few years ago I ethrifted 400 of these from an archivist who worked for Miramax. They are the actual chips used on the set of the movie Rounders. I think that in the last few years Miramax has released the rest of the chips but at the time they were the only 400 outside of the studio.

The original seller had listed 200 of them in the poker chips section of e bay and was getting little action. I contacted him to make sure he wasn't sitting on thousands of the damn things and when I found out he had only 400 we struck a deal off ebay.

I placed a 200 chip set with a movie type collector in Texas for 12K and sold off the remaining $100 chips in two chip sets for $150 a set.

Or so I thought. Apparently I have one set left!
Jebus Cris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plastic money!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

almosthandsome

Reaction score
Had a productive stop at a favorite little store today. First up: A $20 Hard-bod male (that Brian will travel miles for) THRIFT THREAD SYNERGY!

Much smaller than my current dude, who can't wear anything under a 40. Made my day.

Lorenzini, Ted Baker London(what size is a 6? buttons as a mens), Nat Nast Silk, Paradise Found

BB Makers (TurtleTurtle), Facconable

PRL Braces - a little wear I missed in store

From a different stop, older PS for me in Sea Island. Real nice but sorely needs the treatment.

And an Oxxford tie for me as well. Woohoo.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I came across a peak lapeled tux that I assume was custom made since it had a date label...from 1940. It was pretty worn in some areas, but had grosgrain facing and stripes. Would this sort of thing be worth something?

Lets get some pics! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390593210761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

e-thrifted these. Probably paid too much. Not too sure what I was thinking.

You know what to do with those. The Pancaldi, something else you can do with :) but the others, you know.

GM-H

Reaction score
Cross post from trading thread

I'm looking for a tux for prom on the 10th of June. doesn't need to be anything special brand wise, just classic looking. Peak or shawl laples, I would really like Dual or no vents but at this point i would even do single vent. . Needs to be a 36-38 short(17.5ish shoulders, 20ish Pit, 23.5ish sleeve, >30 LOB)

I have trade goodies or money!!!

Thanks!

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
As usual, a slight bounty

Pringle

Zegna

Pm me if anyone is interested in waist 44 zegna khakis or medium dark wash jeans, I passed them up but I can go back if you're hankerin' for them

sn0wman

Reaction score
Actually no. All the chips were made by ASM (American Standard Molding) which IMHO make the best poker chips out there. I much prefer them over the Paulson's (although really we are really splitting hairs here). The thing I like most about the ASM chips is that as they wear you can start to see the brass powder fill show through. Very old school.

Spoo, you should have seen the 200 chip set I sold. Had chips in all denoms from $1 to $500, most of which you never see in the movie.

Never played with ASM, but I sure do love my set of 500 Paulsons... snagged them for $100 at an estate sale.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two firsts:

J Press Linen (I assume) herringbone, half-lined, fits me so not available.;)

It looks hella-vintage, but feels hella-fused. Anyone know how to date a J Press?

And this Chester Barrie / Hawkes & Co (?) sport coat is definitely hella-vintage, and definitely available.

Horn buttons, hidden pocket on inside, in very good shape. I don't know my history well enough. I know Gieves bought Hawkes & Co. in the 1970s, but I don't know how Chester Barrie fits into the picture. At any rate, I assume this was an OTR model, or it wouldn't have the size written on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads