• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

messenger309

Reaction score
Between thrifting and discount I have been forced into a serious culling of my wardrobe. Going through pants and you'll never guess what rolled outta my pockets...

A few years ago I ethrifted 400 of these from an archivist who worked for Miramax. They are the actual chips used on the set of the movie Rounders. I think that in the last few years Miramax has released the rest of the chips but at the time they were the only 400 outside of the studio.

The original seller had listed 200 of them in the poker chips section of e bay and was getting little action. I contacted him to make sure he wasn't sitting on thousands of the damn things and when I found out he had only 400 we struck a deal off ebay.

I placed a 200 chip set with a movie type collector in Texas for 12K and sold off the remaining $100 chips in two chip sets for $150 a set.

Or so I thought. Apparently I have one set left!

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Between thrifting and discount I have been forced into a serious culling of my wardrobe. Going through pants and you'll never guess what rolled outta my pockets...
LL
A few years ago I ethrifted 400 of these from an archivist who worked for Miramax. They are the actual chips used on the set of the movie Rounders. I think that in the last few years Miramax has released the rest of the chips but at the time they were the only 400 outside of the studio. The original seller had listed 200 of them in the poker chips section of e bay and was getting little action. I contacted him to make sure he wasn't sitting on thousands of the damn things and when I found out he had only 400 we struck a deal off ebay. I placed a 200 chip set with a movie type collector in Texas for 12K and sold off the remaining $100 chips in two chip sets for $150 a set. Or so I thought. Apparently I have one set left!
I know we generally focus on clothes, but I nominate that for Overall Best Thrift of the Decade.

Steve Kane

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with a brand called Burma Wear Inc? I found this Schott-esque motorcycle jacket the other day, but can't find anything about the brand. It doesn't feel like the greatest leather ever, but it does feel pretty durable and heavy. Size Large, Made in Pakistan. Here are some photos, sorry for the iPhone pics.

klay49

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what I am looking at here. Anybody familiar with Borrelli's luxury vintage line?

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
luxury vintage is a notch below mainline nice find!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy BB Golden Fleece - working cuffs. The tag inside says 100% camel hair, but it doesn't look like camel hair. It is soft, though. I thought camel hair typically had a fluffier weave than this...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LL
A few years ago I ethrifted 400 of these from an archivist who worked for Miramax. They are the actual chips used on the set of the movie Rounders. I think that in the last few years Miramax has released the rest of the chips but at the time they were the only 400 outside of the studio. The original seller had listed 200 of them in the poker chips section of e bay and was getting little action. I contacted him to make sure he wasn't sitting on thousands of the damn things and when I found out he had only 400 we struck a deal off ebay. I placed a 200 chip set with a movie type collector in Texas for 12K and sold off the remaining $100 chips in two chip sets for $150 a set. Or so I thought. Apparently I have one set left!
Jesus christ. Do you know what I would do for a set of those?! Paulson top and cane too....right? on the left looks like it.

Last edited:

messenger309

Reaction score
Jesus christ. Do you know what I would do for a set of those?! Paulson top and cane too....right? on the left looks like it.
Actually no. All the chips were made by ASM (American Standard Molding) which IMHO make the best poker chips out there. I much prefer them over the Paulson's (although really we are really splitting hairs here). The thing I like most about the ASM chips is that as they wear you can start to see the brass powder fill show through. Very old school.

Spoo, you should have seen the 200 chip set I sold. Had chips in all denoms from $1 to $500, most of which you never see in the movie.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually no. All the chips were made by ASM (American Standard Molding) which IMHO make the best poker chips out there. I much prefer them over the Paulson's (although really we are really splitting hairs here). The thing I like most about the ASM chips is that as they wear you can start to see the brass powder fill show through. Very old school.

Spoo, you should have seen the 200 chip set I sold. Had chips in all denoms from $1 to $500, most of which you never see in the movie.

I wouldnt have spent 12k on it, but I would have been tempted to. Do you know how sick that would have made my home game?! :)

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks! I like day 3

But the fit above is from the winter. Here was today's thrift fit: It was cold again here, hence the flannel trou and cashmere SC.

HF custom (for someone else; it's secondhand)
British Textiles (by Ascot Chang)
Some bespoke Neapolitain tiemaker I can't recall -- again, secondhand
Square unknown; silk
Trafalgar
Corneliani
Pantherella
Alden for Peal

Just want you to know I gave you a thumb for that fit, but you really ought to get the pants tapered a bit. Also, Alden makes Peal & Co? I thought Peal was always made by C&J or Sargent.

Then here I though, "that sounds like a name I heard on one o' them intertumblers", then I thought "Made In China", and passed. Are these any good?

Montreal-based company where they send you several things every month, and whatever you send back whatever you don't like. Everything under $50. Unless it fits you well, it probably isn't worth it. Kind of an abhorrent business model if you ask me, but it is smart for people who wouldn't otherwise go shopping (read: most guys).

This was tagged as a men's blazer, but I probably should have picked it up, right?

Depends on the price, but it looks like kind of a cool piece.
I wish it was my size.
baldy[1].gif

What size IS it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads