• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goddamn it. Im allergic to alpaca.
Really? thats no bueno. My wife and I adopted two alpacas at our local zoo...random I know but we got free admission for a year.
Probably a trend but nothing to do with this thread. The end result of prices increasing really has nothing to do with this thread, or SF in general, but more people thrifting = more demand = less supply...you get the picture.
+1 this thread isn't going to be the sole reason of price increases at thrift stores. Heck if anything the song on the radio (which i still here
facepalm.gif
) would probably have more of an affect than a thread full of thrift talk.

One of my salvation army stops tries to price things they think they know are good brands for higher prices like 60+ on suits that carry the label of Brooks Brothers or Chaps (lol). I dont really mind much because they still leave behind plenty of oxxford and HF amongst others that apparently they have no clue about with an average price of about 4 bucks.

The thing I'd be most concerned about is not a price increase, rather the amount of thrift flippers popping up in our communities. I cant help but wonder when in a thrift store what I missed lately in here and which random person is wearing it (not knowing the value or quality of the item, such as say a brioni, or a kiton, or even an oxxford).

But hey...at the end of the day, its a thrilling hunt for a reason...without a hunt its no fun in my book.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Recently read that's physically impossible (I have horrible allergies, I get four shots at a time once a month and am on sudafed and Zyrtec 24-7...and half the year, inhaled steroids). People who are "allergic" to some fibers, the theory goes, are sensitive to the gauge of the fibers and it is a physical response that make it feel like their skin's crawling. You could technically be allergic to alpacas the animals (ie have a sneeze fest at an alpaca farm) but supposedly, by the time the fibers get made into clothes there's no trace of dander or oils or anything else that people are allergic to.

Mind you, im not an allergist and i don't know if this is true, it's just what I read at a credible site. I do know, however that I am allergic to literally every common tree and grass pollen native to New England, dogs, cats, dust and other animals...but I can wear alpaca like a champ.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
+1 this thread isn't going to be the sole reason of price increases at thrift stores. Heck if anything the song on the radio (which i still here
facepalm.gif
) would probably have more of an affect than a thread full of thrift talk.
I had a girl tell me today she thinks of me when she hears that song....not sure if this is good or bad
puzzled.gif

"Nah, Walk up to the club like, "What up, I got a big c*ck!""
or
"Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R. Kelly's sheets"

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Also, if the goodwill pricing people happened to read this thread & just went off mexicutioner's price rants (which I agree with) for a guide, then we're good, no?

aglose

Reaction score

Recently read that's physically impossible (I have horrible allergies, I get four shots at a time once a month and am on sudafed and Zyrtec 24-7...and half the year, inhaled steroids). People who are "allergic" to some fibers, the theory goes, are sensitive to the gauge of the fibers and it is a physical response that make it feel like their skin's crawling. You could technically be allergic to alpacas the animals (ie have a sneeze fest at an alpaca farm) but supposedly, by the time the fibers get made into clothes there's no trace of dander or oils or anything else that people are allergic to.

Mind you, im not an allergist and i don't know if this is true, it's just what I read at a credible site. I do know, however that I am allergic to literally every common tree and grass pollen native to New England, dogs, cats, dust and other animals...but I can wear alpaca like a champ.

I too feel your pain. I'm not allergic to three plants I believe in all of human existence :(

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Allergybroesforlyfe :slayer: trees, grass, cats, dogs, penicillin, mites, etc. and thats not counting food allergies! Though alpaca and especially mohair are no bueno for me. Its got nothing to do with sneezing, they give me terrible rashes. Poor me, stuck to cashmere. LOL

I had a girl tell me today she thinks of me when she hears that song....not sure if this is good or bad :puzzled:

or

Likely those flannel zebra jammies with the socks on the mothafucka.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Need genuine input from you folks:

What do you guys think of pants by these brands:

Santorelli seems to be a a poorer man's Zanella but they not bad so picked up two

I picked up a couple pairs of these, I put them in the canali quadrant, they're nice. I have some, what's the expression someone once used here, "generic uomo" that are worse --but still passable for office wear. Like tan wool generic uomo pants next to the cotton khaki man at the keurig machine makes you look pretty good, and santorellis are a notch or two above that. IMHO. Some people here might not get them but damn, you see what new ones go for? At $5 a pair, they're a great deal if there's no damage, stains, wear spots or the unmentionable stuff on the inside lining people like to talk about here...

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I just assumed you were trying to impress MartiniGirl
uhoh.gif

Man, I wonder how long it'll be before she moves on to greener pastures.

My first every Chester Barrie find. Saw the jacket w/o pants, went searching and found them. Flat front.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Unlabled Navy Cashmere blazer 5.99. Will upload pic later but found a camel hair brown and navy hounds tooth jacket VERY COOL 3.00. Hanover wingtips - new. Been wearing them two years LOVE. 15.00. 10k Lindy sapphire men's pinky ring. Found in 2.00 bag of buttons. RL highball glasses .69 a pop set of six.

Is this thrift store free verse poetry?
Shirts:

Best of the Best (no known brands exceed this quality), Excellent (few brands are better), Very Good etc etc.....

B.O.T.B:
Kiton

Fray

Got to say, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the few Kiton shirts I've handled. Maybe I was just expecting too much, but I didn't find them to be as nice as Borrelli. Wasn't underwhelmed with how they did on eBay, however.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldnt get properly exposed and focused photos today for some reason, but you get the idea. My second attempt with this tie, hopefully better this time)
Zegna DB pinstripe (thrifted by me)
Massimo Dutti shirt (thrifted by me) needs better collar stays, apparently.
Zegna tie (thrifted by me)
AE Delrays (ebay)
total $49.50

That is a fine fitting suit you got there, sir!
Sneak preview:

bounce2.gif
From the same donor and from the same store? What are the chances of that?! Crazy!
Need genuine input from you folks:

What do you guys think of pants by these brands:

Santorelli
Valentini (not Valentino)

Valentini seems uber high quality to me, so picked them up.
Santorelli seems to be a a poorer man's Zanella but they not bad so picked up two pairs.

Would like to read your input.

This thread is a learning pot, we above most in the other parts of the forum handle much more gear. I sometimes think one of us should start a thread looking at whats hot and whats not. There is a suit thread where all the brands are ranked according to quality, I feel a shirt thread and a pants thread has been long overdue (where all brands are categorized).

Format something like:

Shirts:

Best of the Best (no known brands exceed this quality), Excellent (few brands are better), Very Good etc etc.....

B.O.T.B:
Kiton
Fray

Excellent:
Charvet
Borrelli
Finamore
Barba

Very Good:
Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Lorenzini

Good:
Canali
Turnbull and Asser

Average:
Ralph Lauren Polo non Italian made
Brooks Brothers Luxury

Poor:
TM Lewin
Ben Sherman

Same treatment for pants so we know whats what. I would definitely like to know more about whats good and whats not...
They make really nice pants! I think a member found a jacket by them just recently! Super rare!
Ahhh man, I was just about to ship you 8 Kiton alpaca jacket!
censored.gif
Jk, jk, so does that mean you have to handle all of your alpaca consignment items while wearing gloves?
I had a girl tell me today she thinks of me when she hears that song....not sure if this is good or bad
puzzled.gif

or
Or "only got twenty dollars in my pocket." Cuz, you know, we are working class here. Blue collar thread!
biggrin.gif

It's time to look at shoes.

I guess that was self explanatory.

AE Birmingham 10D

Alden 8.5E

Alden 10C

Cable & Co 9D

Cole Haan 10.5D

Bostonian Crown Windsor 9D

Florsheim 8.5B

Hanover 9.5EE

Hanover 9.5EE

Hanover 9.5EE

Hanover Shell 9D

Hanover PTB 7.5 D

bounce2.gif

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I'd prefer we didn't publish a pricing guide for all of our favorite thrift stores. It's too bad we can't keep a specific, password protected reference for those thrift thread members that have reached a certain level of participation.

This entire thread is a pricing guide and should be password protected.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got to say, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the few Kiton shirts I've handled. Maybe I was just expecting too much, but I didn't find them to be as nice as Borrelli. Wasn't underwhelmed with how they did on eBay, however.

Kiton do not do those great thick MOP buttons, nor do they use the hefty solid fabrics that some other brands go for. However, every Kiton shirt I have handled has for sure being handmade. They have a slightly more whimsical nature but I like my shirts like that. A bit like Charvet, initial appearances are unimpressive, close inspection, very impressive.

I picked up a couple pairs of these, I put them in the canali quadrant, they're nice. I have some, what's the expression someone once used here, "generic uomo" that are worse --but still passable for office wear. Like tan wool generic uomo pants next to the cotton khaki man at the keurig machine makes you look pretty good, and santorellis are a notch or two above that. IMHO. Some people here might not get them but damn, you see what new ones go for? At $5 a pair, they're a great deal if there's no damage, stains, wear spots or the unmentionable stuff on the inside lining people like to talk about here...

Thanks broski. Yup figured they seemed solid enough. They a size 38 and got a NWOT pair as well that appear size 32. I will post em up here with pics and see who wantsies.

Allergybroesforlyfe :slayer: trees, grass, cats, dogs, penicillin, mites, etc. and thats not counting food allergies! Though alpaca and especially mohair are no bueno for me. Its got nothing to do with sneezing, they give me terrible rashes. Poor me, stuck to cashmere. LOL.

Allergies suck. I am not allergic to many things but I am slightly allergic to dairy and severely allergic to eggs. What does not eating eggs do to a person? It drives them mad, to near insanity. Sugary Yummy Bakery goods (outside of breads)? Cannot eat them because everything has ******* eggs. No Donuts, No Danishes, No Cakes, No Pancakes, No Waffles. 90% Ice Cream brands have eggs. Most salad dressings have eggs. Pasta is very hit and miss - a lot contains eggs. Limits me to salads or pizza in an Italian restaurant although sometimes a pasta dish will be OK. Worst thing is I love Pasta.

I get horrific guts from egg, like a whole day going back n forth to the loo. Is eating egg worth drastic bowel movements? Well, I do sometimes just say fuckit but I made the mistake of eating a cake on a long haul flight and lets say I regretted sitting by the window. Every ******* 30 minutes, I would say excuse me... and then find a queue at the lavatory. One woman took forever in the toilet I resorted to banging on the door in desperation telling her if she did not hurry up with her dump I would soil my own pants.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads