The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Window

Window Senior member

I decided to go back and buy them, what do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

2. dport86

dport86 Senior member

^paid $120 plus shipping on ebay for a NOS pair of pebbled brown Royal Imperials. nice find

3. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

4. otc

otc Senior member

I found a pair of burgandy shell longwings a while ago...but they nowhere near as nice (the inner footbed lining seems to be missing). Probably going on ebay if I ever stop being lazy...they are really big (like 13-13.5) too

What is the significance of the v clean? That extra metal triangle has never made sense to me.

5. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

What is the significance of the v clean? That extra metal triangle has never made sense to me.

well... it's almost killed me a few times. pivot the wrong way on the wrong surface (marble) and you'll bite it hard. it eats up my hardwood floors too.

6. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

well... it's almost killed me a few times. pivot the wrong way on the wrong surface (marble) and you'll bite it hard. it eats up my hardwood floors too.

Charming as the v-cleat might be, it's quite lethal (both to floors and to the shoe owner). Some choose to replace the heel altogether.

I have a pair of the v-cleat longwings with the original heel and I don't wear them often--mostly because they're blk pebblegrains, but also because I've slipped and 'windmilled' in them several times on sidewalks.

7. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I decided to go back and buy them, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have a thrifted pair of longwings in just about every color but I have never seen any in that great of condition. Outstanding!

8. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Thanks for all the kind words on the longwings! I wish they fit me, anyways I put them on eBay for $99 does that sound reasonible?

9. mystillwater

Thanks for all the kind words on the longwings! I wish they fit me, anyways I put them on eBay for $99 does that sound reasonible?

you might be better off listing them at .99 and let the bidding run it up. sometimes they go for well over $100. especially when they're pristine like those.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1. Low starting bids attract more bidders. That's how I work for some reason too. I'll "watch" something at $5, but ignore the one at $75, even though I know both are high dollar items. I'll end up getting caught in a bidding frenzy on the $5 one usually.

11. mystillwater

can somebody finbd a Kiton or a bespoke wardrobe or something so we can end this 2-page longwing-lust-fest :)

12. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Ive given up.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^Man, you're in such a prime area too - I can't believe you haven't been finding anything! I'm going to hit a few shops tomorrow but it's probably going to turn out to be another wasted $8 in gas and 2 hours of my time. Still, you never know! I haven't found anything worth mentioning in over a month. It's pretty depressing around here.

14. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Well-Known Member

^^ +1. Low starting bids attract more bidders. That's how I work for some reason too. I'll "watch" something at $5, but ignore the one at $75, even though I know both are high dollar items. I'll end up getting caught in a bidding frenzy on the $5 one usually.

You have to watch out pricing things too low. I had some pretty nice ties and I thought I was being smart starting my bidding at a dime. Yep, they all sold for a dime a piece. Most were bought by one person who wanted me to combine shipping. I really lost money on that one.

Now I at least start bidding at about what I paid for things. That way I won't lose any money. Didn't Ebay used to show what price auctions started at? That would be a helpful tool.

Chad

15. mike540

mike540 Senior member

Had a pretty good night tonite. I spent more than usual, $92.Nothing really pic worthy but got some staples:
    Brooks Brothers blue 100% linen SC
    Zegna suit, it's solid black but after recently attending a funeral and realizing I didn't own a decent black suit I figured I should grab it. It fits well, no alterations required except maybe a bit of waist suppression.
    Canali solid navy suit. I need to lengthen the pants a touch but otherwise a very good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.