• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, I've found yard sales usually suck for nice stuff. Estate sales are another store though. There have been a couple exceptions for yard sales though, but I think most wealthy people are too busy to hold a yard sale and drive all over town putting up and taking down signs.

83glt, I hear ya. In past years, tax season was way better. I've only had good luck at one specific chain so far. Oh well, not much we can do but keep at it and be optimistic.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
For me, I've found yard sales usually suck for nice stuff. Estate sales are another store though. There have been a couple exceptions for yard sales though, but I think most wealthy people are too busy to hold a yard sale and drive all over town putting up and taking down signs. 83glt, I hear ya. In past years, tax season was way better. I've only had good luck at one specific chain so far. Oh well, not much we can do but keep at it and be optimistic.
I know. But it's getting harder all the time. Prices here have also been going through the roof. An older PRL suit, probably from the late 80's was marked at $60, which to me is really high when I'm used to getting suits for $20 or less. And I never see sales anymore. There used to be sales all the time, now never... I haven't even found a good necktie in what seems like forever... Interestingly, I did come across a near identical Panasonic 8 track player to the one you scored Nataku. I left it on the shelf, but knowing this particular store it'll still be there. It's not a TNT design, but it splits in half with a speaker on each half, I guess for stereo. Comes with a radio as well. I might go back to pick it up .... but they're probably asking $2000.00 for it as an antique....

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - prices here tend to fluctuate. They will be reasonable for a long time, then all of a sudden they will be astronomical. The after about a few weeks, they'll go really low (like $1-$2 for shirts), then even out at reasonable again. It's strange... Panasonic had some cool stuff back in the 70's. There is a pretty large group of collectors for the stuff too. Haha, I've noticed the stores getting wise to vintage audio as well. One local store prices all reel-to-reel tape players at $100+ after the manager found me buying a couple. She figures "Oh, anything he buys is nice and probably expensive. I'll price these things higher next time!" I know this because one day she even explained this reasoning to me.
baldy[1].gif

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Any good thrifts or vintage stores in Orange County, CA? I will be down there for a whole week next month.

I haven't found any yet, but please let me know if you do!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah - prices here tend to fluctuate. They will be reasonable for a long time, then all of a sudden they will be astronomical. The after about a few weeks, they'll go really low (like $1-$2 for shirts), then even out at reasonable again. It's strange... Panasonic had some cool stuff back in the 70's. There is a pretty large group of collectors for the stuff too. Haha, I've noticed the stores getting wise to vintage audio as well. One local store prices all reel-to-reel tape players at $100+ after the manager found me buying a couple. She figures "Oh, anything he buys is nice and probably expensive. I'll price these things higher next time!" I know this because one day she even explained this reasoning to me.
baldy[1].gif

In such situations I'm not at all afraid to explain why I won't be coming back to the store, which is significant when they consider how often I'm in there and how much money I spend there over the course of a year. Usually this will result in them coming to their senses. I've gotten prices reduced on more than one occassion this way, but often they won't budge unless the manager is around. Fortunately I'm in good with him, but still, it's such a hassle when things should never be priced that high to begin with.

Exit English

Reaction score
Today I found a pair of Brooks Brothers burgandy cordovan leather wing tips in my size. They are in decent shape and just need a cleaning. Probably one of the nicest pairs of shoes Ive found at a Value Village before.

brooksbrothers.jpg

mco543

Reaction score
Found a pair of NOS Sir Imperial shoes for 12.00 that are god only knows how old. Closed lacing, very nice condition seemed like a good pick up and i also found a pair of old Swank cufflinks that are gold with a massive mother of pearl in the middle for 6.00. Also passed on a couple Brooks Brothers and Paul Stuart ties for 4.00 but I might go back for them and the local Goodwill had a GI Joe footlocker set from 1962 with a huge amount of accessories for the old 12 inch figures.

Are Sanyo trench coats worth picking up for resale? I found a nice one for 35.00 and was curious if it was worth it.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walked into my favorite thrift yesterday and found

Clothes and the Man by Flusser 2.99
DOC: The Rise and Rise of Julius Erving 2.99
National Geographic 100 Best Pictures 2.99
Allen Edmonds Hinsdale Loafers 10D 2.99

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jess, great score on those BB shells! I'm jealous.

Yesterday I picked up a nice pair of Polo RL tweed trousers that I was going to sell. Got them home and was taking pictures for B&S when I noticed a nasty yellow stain on the white cotton lining of the crotch. They went in the trash. Luckily they came from the cheapest thrift store in town, which was having a half off sale. So I was only out $1.50. Word to the wise: check things thoroughly before purchasing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix

Yesterday I picked up a nice pair of Polo RL tweed trousers that I was going to sell. Got them home and was taking pictures for B&S when I noticed a nasty yellow stain on the white cotton lining of the crotch. They went in the trash. Luckily they came from the cheapest thrift store in town, which was having a half off sale. So I was only out $1.50. Word to the wise: check things thoroughly before purchasing.

Clothes can be cleaned.

Even if such a stain lingers, the lining can be replaced.

This is for personal use; for reselling the cost is not worth it.

vinasity

Reaction score

Haha the same thing happened to me yesterday! I thought I scored some sweet Brioni trousers that looked perfect on the outside. Then while I was waiting in line to pay I noticed the same yellowish stain in the crotchal area.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Clothes can be cleaned.

Even if such a stain lingers, the lining can be replaced.

This is for personal use; for reselling the cost is not worth it.

Yeah, if they'd been something that I wanted to keep I'd have tried to clean them. However, I knew that they wouldn't sell for enough to make dry cleaning them worthwhile, even if I knew the stain would come out.

ChadHahn

Reaction score

I was at Goodwill and found a pretty nice Made in Italy dress shirt. I checked it out and then took it in the dressing room to try on. I laid it face down on the bench and noticed a huge yellow stain down the back. If I hadn't seen the back then I might not have known that it was stained until I got it home.

One does need to be very vigilant about checking clothes.

Chad

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChadHahn
I was at Goodwill and found a pretty nice Made in Italy dress shirt. I checked it out and then took it in the dressing room to try on. I laid it face down on the bench and noticed a huge yellow stain down the back. If I hadn't seen the back then I might not have known that it was stained until I got it home.

One does need to be very vigilant about checking clothes.

Chad

That's the only time I wish my wife liked to thrift also: I can meticulously go over a garmet in the store and see nothing but my wife will spot a moth hole in it throught the kitchen window when I'm taking it out of the car.

My mom was visiting and she likes to thrift so I took her to my favorite spot. I picked up a Robert Talbott and an Ike Behar dress shirt for $3.50 each. She scored a Burberry rain coat and a sweater. My wife tagged along (she hates thrifting) and ended up scoring 5 skirts, including a wool/cashmere Armani with the tages still on it. Now she wants me to "keep my eyes open" whenever I shop. We all know that means I better have something for her whenever I have a good haul. Damn, be careful what you wish for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads