• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb9

Reaction score
Size small

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't tell by that photo, but I remember your other photo and they looked like croc. Now, whether they're actually croc or not, I'll admit that I'm not an expert. I own a couple of pairs, but nothing in black.

By the way, thank you for posting in a manner that makes it easy to quote/remove unnecessary information :slayer:

thank you sir. There are some numbers inside the shoe, so I thought maybe I'd be able to consult a chart like you guys do to see if a shoe is shell cordovan, but I don't know if there's a J&M chart or an exotic leather chart.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Officially my worst day of thrifting ever went to like 10 stores and logged tons of miles and tj Maxx and Marshall's and I found were 3 ties (only picked up the talbot because it is patchwork and i thought someone on here woulld want it...)

Also my friend picked up some varvatos mainline pants for personal consumption...

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I know there's some cashmere in here because of the feel test next to an actual 100% cashmere jacket I have, and they feel the same to me. The burn test won't say "blend" or "100%." But thanks for trying!

My pleasure! Short of using a GC-MS, it will be hard to certify something as "cashmere" without the label. If you're trying to find out for flipping, I've come to realize that a short explanation to your customers usually convinces them. I will tell someone "I can't be 100% certain that this is 100% cashmere, but based on the fact that I've felt hundreds of cashmere jackets, I'm fairly convinced that this is at least part cashmere."

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

thank you sir. There are some numbers inside the shoe, so I thought maybe I'd be able to consult a chart like you guys do to see if a shoe is shell cordovan, but I don't know if there's a J&M chart or an exotic leather chart.

I can't help you there, but those look like either 'gator or croc. :satisfied:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hit 2 places yesterday, and because I was pressed for time, never got to spend the time I normally like to spend. Still, I think I made out pretty good.

Boss wool/cashmere SC, heading for consignment. Still had a dry cleaning tag on it dated 2010.

I currently have a few Pendleton items up on ebay that are getting some interest. So I thought I'd take a chance on another one. This is a wool (woven, not knit) cardigan.

Aran sweater, S or XS. Probably a women's.

True vintage shawl collar wool cardigan with mechanic's style neck. I put this probably late-1950s to early-1960s. Made in Canada and no CA number nor any French to be seen on the tag so definitely pre-mid-1970s.

Burberry Brit knit cardigan/jacket with zipper and buttons. Not a bad piece but a little ostentatious with the buttons and the epaulets.

Not one but two Gloveralls in classic camel.

Prada monk straps. Rubber soles, but I'm sure will have no problem moving on ebay. I'm not sure why this picture is so small...

A bit outside my comfort zone but I got some help from mjt73106 when I was in the field yesterday. Vasque hiking boots, Made in Italy, in 7 1/2.

These have been popping up all over the place, recently.

Thrift fit with one of the RLPL suits I posted a couple weeks ago. Jacket is a touch snug.
301712CF-FBDE-48D4-9B79-E13E98E97567-3880-000001C5F86A2567.jpg
9917EB8F-365F-464C-9D13-16AF93A423FD-3880-000001C5F1C84C92.jpg
7C319F43-987D-4654-80F1-CE6FFD7D8D31-3880-000001C5FCFA4D57.jpg

RLPL suit
BBGF shirt
Talbott tie

That's a great fit, as usual.

Officially my worst day of thrifting ever went to like 10 stores and logged tons of miles and tj Maxx and Marshall's and I found were 3 ties (only picked up the talbot because it is patchwork and i thought someone on here woulld want it...)

Also my friend picked up some varvatos mainline pants for personal consumption...

Did that VV tie cost you $7, too?
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Polo gurus. Any idea who made the US made polo suits and such in the beginning? I never even realized the Polo label went back that far until I found this yesterday.

Saw Spoo had one a month ago or so....except without the insane lapels. Fully Canvassed, Pick Stitched, Dual Vent.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I put this probably late-1950s to early-1960s. Made in Canada and no CA number nor any French to be seen on the tag so definitely pre-mid-1970s.

That's gorgeous!

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I come back from two days in Uosemite, and only three pages to catch up? Where are all the posts?!?

On a side note, I have more than ten EBay sales to ship tomorrow!

rathebaindc

Reaction score
My haul from the weekend, lots of different stuff, all available:

Orvis sweater vest with leather pocket trim Large

Orvis vest XL

Camp 7 vest Medium

Garrick Anderson shirt 15.5-34

Anyone heard of Broletto? I've never seen this type of Loro Piana Fabric. 42S, basting still intact,

Paul Stuart 39 Long- It's a project, but it was $1. If anyone wants, hit me up.

H&M- I know, but I think it fits well, I'll have to take pics, but it's a 42 and looks like it will be sweet action come summer time.

PRL by Corneliani Made in Italy 100% linen 34x29

My First Oxxford Orphan Fits to ~38/39

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
Last edited:

Wizard Swears

Reaction score
Picked these up today

Waist ~32

Paul & Shark XL

And this awesome vintage Columbia jacket that fits me but could benefit from a trip to the dry cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads