• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CesarC

Reaction score
+1
nod[1].gif
Oh, and thank you capnwes for hooking me up with that beige overcoat/carcoat! My first beige overcoat.
inlove.gif
Wore it today in the snow with my new Dents gloves from Marshalls, but didn't take a thrift fit pic since only half of my outfit was thrift/discount store (though I was wearing 5 layers on top, and two pieces were vintage/consignment...).
Quote:
+1 Is this the first Tom Ford that was actually thrifted (as opposed to negotiated)? Nicely done.
tell us more about the tom ford find!

I actually really like this. I can see how the blue hues would really pop in different lighting.
Found this guy at the same place, same day. Versatile or burn it with fire? Haha... Photo doesn't do the hues justice.

Feels pretty sexy and the colors are riiiiich.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special here, but I think this is about as big as a haul gets out here in mid-Missouri.

zegna shirt

Lands End Charter Collection Harris Tweed

Vintage BB tie

Solid navy BB suit

And finally, looking for help on the maker of this knit tie. Found it at Marshalls, 100% silk, made in Italy, but no maker tag or RN # or anything.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

doesn't sell for a ton but i like to think of it as nautical themed polo ralph lauren style stuff, only better quality

tell us more about the tom ford find!

Yes I thought the Paul and Shark was really pretty nice. I cannot judge a brand on one piece but I certainly would not mind picking more of it up :nodding:

Tom Ford - Hah, some MTM thing I guess, it is missing tags. Shoulders width out at 22" and the pit to pit is 23". Like a 42/44US with 50US shoulders. Maybe an olympic swimmers jacket. Pants also incredibly trim, nut crushers. Pretty unforgiving for me I am taking this to a tailors to see what can be done to it to make fit. If not destined to work for me, will be trade fodder here or have to be sold.

Tom Ford at a Nor Cal thrift???!!! WHAAAAAAAA!? :wow:

I will say picked from the Central Coast me old beauty - San Francisco sucks for thrifting lately. Northern California has taken a turn for the worse last one year - way too many people doing exactly what we doing. I am planning on returning to South Bay to pick (and get reweaving done) - I am desperately in need of provisions for my wardrobe since I junked approximately 60% of it when I decided most my gear was past its shelf date.

Too many pickers, my local (as in 20 miles from where I live) had around 6 flippers chucking stuff in trolleys. It was easy for me, enter and leave in a matter of 10 seconds. My favorite spot in Napa has been killed recently - hordes of people all the time and seen one or two flippers decimating the stock :(

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I thought the Paul and Shark was really pretty nice. I cannot judge a brand on one piece but I certainly would not mind picking more of it up
nod[1].gif

Tom Ford - Hah, some MTM thing I guess, it is missing tags. Shoulders width out at 22" and the pit to pit is 23". Like a 42/44US with 50US shoulders. Maybe an olympic swimmers jacket. Pants also incredibly trim, nut crushers. Pretty unforgiving for me I am taking this to a tailors to see what can be done to it to make fit. If not destined to work for me, will be trade fodder here or have to be sold.
I will say picked from the Central Coast me old beauty - San Francisco sucks for thrifting lately. Northern California has taken a turn for the worse last one year - way too many people doing exactly what we doing. I am planning on returning to South Bay to pick - I am desperately in need of provisions for my wardrobe since I junked approximately 60% of it when I decided most my gear was past its shelf date.

Too many pickers, my local (as in 20 miles from where I live) had around 6 flippers chucking stuff in trolleys. It was easy for me, enter and leave in a matter of 10 seconds. My favorite spot in Napa has been killed recently - hordes of people all the time and seen one or two flippers decimating the stock
frown.gif

Damn, we should keep this thread private. Too man lurkers on here! OH well, It's too late. I still think there's plenty to go around. But I've killed my dream of becoming a professional flipper. Way too much work and way too much competition. I guess I'll stick to my day job...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, we should keep this thread private. Too man lurkers on here! OH well, It's too late. I still think there's plenty to go around. But I've killed my dream of becoming a professional flipper. Way too much work and way too much competition. I guess I'll stick to my day job...

Aye, to get to the point one could make a viable living off of thrifting is beyond my intellectual and physical means. How Eddieveddr, Mainy, DM7, Spoo do it so well is incredible - highly motivated and talented guys in this arena.

It is a hobby to me nothing more nothing less. If I find something my wardrobe will like or something someone here will like, then great, job done. Outside of that, I have no real ambitions to stretch beyond a couple of hours here and there. Even if I had a 300K plus job, I would still enjoy rummaging through junk and used clothing racks. I almost considered dumpster diving as well - I am deadly serious on that one just do not tell anyone about that :lol:.

Last edited:

Randomore

Reaction score
Couple shoe finds and of course they are just slightly too big for my 11 1/2-12 foot.

Charles Tyrwhitt boots. Who makes this? In amazing shape. Size 12

Allen Edmonds Concord size 12 3E

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing special here, but I think this is about as big as a haul gets out here in mid-Missouri.

And finally, looking for help on the maker of this knit tie. Found it at Marshalls, 100% silk, made in Italy, but no maker tag or RN # or anything.

Tough work identifying that. Gut says Brooks Brothers, but it's not much more than that. Tag isn't dissimilar to what I've seen, plus that neck reinforcer and the color combo.

Several stops today, including my local. Passed on several nice pocket squares that had machine sewn edges, incl PRL (WTF is up with that?), but did grab a couple of Trafalgars. Jack squat the rest of the day.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, thrifting during the small snow storm we got today turned out to be a success. While the transit was less than desirable, the weather kept the crowds down in the stores. I was able to snag lots of things and get in and out quickly without lines and cart kicking....

I have quite a list of braggable items including appearances by the likes of Samuelsohn, Vintage Banana Republic, Gitman Brothers, Bills Khakis, Church's, PRL, Orvis, Harris Tweed, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, Some NY Bespoke ****, etc...

I did have time tonight to take a few pics of two items which stood out of the haul. More pics possible this weekend. I am sanding/refinishing my hardwood floor this weekend so my SF time will be scarce.

Crazy Evisu Genes Reversable Selvedge, likely only one or two washes. Selvedge is on the outside, seamed in a inverted fashion from the typical setup. I can't find a lot on this model, but there are indications of around a $400 MSRP. I went through a few guides and am 99.99% sure they are authentic, based on rivets, stitching, labels and denim quality.

Then there is this sweet NWT PRL Quilted Shooting Jacket....it hit the rack exactly when I walked by....didn't stand a chance.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tough work identifying that. Gut says Brooks Brothers, but it's not much more than that. Tag isn't dissimilar to what I've seen, plus that neck reinforcer and the color combo.

thanks. I looked up some knit ties - it looks like Paul Stuart has a similar neck reinforcer, but I can't get any pictures of a brooks brothers silk knit to compare with this one. oh well, I'll probably just have to wear it, which isn't a terrible outcome

Last edited:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Remember those The West is Dead selvedge jeans somebody posted here the other day? Well a few dozen just landed in my local Buffalo Exchange, NWT. Most sizes, a few different washes, even some chinos. PM me if you're interested in a proxy (about $50 a pair shipped).

Edit: I would recommend sizing down two on these. In normal pants I'm a 30 but the 29s were too big and the 28s fit me perfectly. I'd say they're a slim/slim-straight cut with a medium rise.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not kidding. You missed the matching hoodie though, its a suit!

:lol:

Just got a PRL sc from the bay. Damned thing smells super thrift musty. Come on guys get a fabric steamer!!!

I know that smell anywhere. I wonder if after the success of Macklemore, we should make a thrift cologne. We can call it "Eau de Popped Tags". Who's with me?

DAFUQ Thats a grenadine. Likely the #1 most desired Drakes tie ever. I sold one for $170 not too long ago.

thanks. I looked up some knit ties - it looks like Paul Stuart has a similar neck reinforcer, but I can't get any pictures of a brooks brothers silk knit to compare with this one. oh well, I'll probably just have to wear it, which isn't a terrible outcome

Theres only one or two companies in Italy who make the knit ties for everyone - cant remember the names now, but without the brand label, its pretty much unable to identify.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd heard something like that, that knits are basically the same quality anywhere you buy from because one maker does them all.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Score on that Drakes grenadine. Incredible find.

The dotted knit tie is great too. Regarding the maker, I've seen silk knits lately at Marshalls and TJ Maxx by Paul Stuart, PRL, RLPL, Billy Reid, Corneliani. FWIW, a Paul Stuart knit I got a few weeks back at Marshalls has a different tag than the one in your photo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads