1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

By some strange miracle these two pieces survived until 1/2 off day at the most hit/flipped thrift store in my area. Another local I know got a pair of NWT Epaulet pants and a pair of Unis chinos from when I'm guessing was the same day these were put out. I really hate to know what I missed from this donation....

Ervell sweatshirt. Size M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanishing Elephant. XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. tben

tben Senior member

[​IMG]

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

4. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Senior member

Thanks man. I've been going back and forth on this issue for a couple of weeks now. I think I definitely do prefer a shorter jacket, in most cases.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

[​IMG]

6. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Oh hey...

My site finally works.

Looks like I thrifted 300 nwt suits, sport coats, and overcoats....

nsuited.com

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Bump....

15 signed up so far. We need a few more before I release the new list. LETS GO FELLAS!!! YOU AFRAID TO HAVE FUN????

This time, the prize starts at a $100 donation to the winner's favorite charity, but for every actual entry we receive, I will increase the donation amount by $5. Let's see if we can't make it at least $200.

You can do it, you are already out in the stores anyway, all you need is one item to make an entry. Your participation can make a difference!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

Recently, I've gotten into thrifting Tom James sport coats, which can be had for relatively little money. The top-end lines in particular (Ventura and Royal Classic) are full canvas and often made with Holland & Sherry fabrics since both TJ and H&S are owned by the same company. I think because Tom James gets a bad rep in the menswear fora for being over-priced MTM with inexperienced sales reps, there isn't a lot of demand for their things second-hand from people who know a lot about clothes. They're not all great, and you have to depend on the specs of the original buyer for quality, but if you know your measurements and what you're looking for, used Tom James can give your wardrobe some really versatile, high quality pieces for not a lot of money. Here are a couple recent finds:

$40 Glen Plaid Royal Classic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

$55 Dark Navy Royal Classic with pick stitching, half-lining, and working cuffs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

My 9-year-old nephew is nuts over those Nike Elite socks too. Weird trend. My brother works for Nike so he has a ton of them—he's the envy of the third grade.

10. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

Went again today.
    Size 13 AE Benton, Available for you gigantic bros.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An REI Sweater that I think I'm gonna keep for myself.
    [​IMG]

An older (well, its older than me at least) BR Shirt in amazing shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this the right Gitman Bros? It is supposed to be made in America.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then this Veuve Clicquot tie, I just love the color but I have no idea what I wear this with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Nope.

You're looking for a label that explicitly says "Gitman Vintage".

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I've got a few pair that I use for tennis...they are really nice. My so is also getting into basketball jerseys. I actually found him a Bulls Rodman in his size at a GW. My wife said if we got him a wedding vail it would make him a great Halloween costume.

1 person likes this.
  13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I have a 10 and 12 year old. The 12 year old is 5'9" 175Lbs stealing my shoes and shirts. The 10 year old wears an adult small, so might be a little small.They both wear pretty much sweat pants and t-shirts.

14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

15. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

Not sure where you're located, but in San Francisco those are Goodwill suit prices. The thrift stores here where I've found Tom James stuff are a little higher.

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Yep - as the OP replied, thrift prices are relative to location, and it's not only the big cities - all the Goodwill's in Chattanooga TN charge $25 for a sport coat no matter what brand / age / style, and $40 for a 2-piece suit. I have no idea if they actually sell any of them at those prices. At my area Goodwill's, a sport coat is $6, suit is $12 - so if you're paying $9.99 for a SC or $19.99 for a suit then I think you paid too much.

2 people like this.
  17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Seriously? You should check out e-thrifting than, check out the current Tom James prices on eBay.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

$12 for a suit!!???? What a ripoff....I pay $10 at most GWs

I almost threw up this weekend when I saw a Hickey Freeman Orphan for $75 in Stamford CT. I wasn't in that store long at all.

19. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

"e-thrifting"? Sounds like something you'd see on a decade-old cover of Businessweek. Anywho, I can assure you I've heard of the Ebays, where I occasionally look up the higher-end Tom James stuff and tend not to find prices much better than the ones for the pieces I listed unless it's lower end fused TJ or there's something wrong with it. But with ebay, you can't try anything on, can't touch the fabric, can't smell it (which can be important when buying used clothing!) - it's a very convenient alternative but not a substitute for real thrifting.

20. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

like nyc pricing.
    suits start at $30.
    they can easy go much more.
    its part of the big city living everywhere.
    so from where he is, if it fits its not too bad if he gets to try it on.

but once you get sizing down, do what shoeluv says and check ebay

edit: i see you beat me to it, its the trying on aspect that is convenient!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.