• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
I am not a Tag expert but shouldn't it say Swiss Made? It could be before and/or during a time when Tag didn't use that phrase...? I am not really up on anything Tag Heuer. Did you remove the caseback?

I removed the caseback and it looks authentic to me. I'm not an expert though. Maybe I should take it to a watch dealer and see. Unless someone can assist.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So remember when a couple members mentioned that I should drop out of school and open up a used clothing shop / business?

Well...

I congratulate you for doing what you love (if I had more luck I'd be tempted to do the same thing!) but I would also say to finish college slowly. At least as a backup.

acosbysweater

Reaction score

Best of all it's barely been used. It's seen some famous faces already though, it was used to photograph everyone seen here... Sound City.

Wow, is that standard issue for insulated, indoor shoots? I thought it was some sort of waterproof dive enclosure. Had no idea there was such a thing to muffle sound. I'm assuming it's to eliminate the sound of your camera, but if you're shooting video (as on the sound city site), there is no shutter sound.
dozingoff.gif

pfhtrad

Reaction score
So remember when a couple members mentioned that I should drop out of school and open up a used clothing shop / business?

Well...

Well, a word of caution. There is a war on, most people still forget that. When all that stuff started I was in college - remember the rather pathetic protests and counter-protests by the school's republican club. I dropped out and found myself on a boat. Spent a couple doing "stuff" mostly mundane but some interesting. Those in the republican club where later photographed drinking champagne in Saddam's pools - pretty darn jealous. First time I made "good" money too (not really knowing how close to poverty wages it really was). Overall was a nice/stable feeling.

Well, If I had a college degree then, I would have been financially better off by about a factor of 3 - 6x. Returning to college and getting my degree later sucked. There is a time and a place to do everything and college is best done when your young. I was the crotchey old guy - at 28. Some of my former classmates became my professors (weird). That being said, if your heart is not in it (and your not earning at least straight B+'s) your wasting a lot of money. But it only gets more expensive: college was 30k a year when I went, and about 55k a year when I returned, but I went to a well-regarded private school. You won't know if you could have made a "better" choice until once this is all done - i.e. you return to school later and realize you forgot your all point-set topology tricks which you find so easy right now.

I'd advise you to just finish your degree. If I recall correctly, yours is in math which will really make life very easy - give you something with a solid fallback option with a better salary than a business/econ/english degree - but most importantly teaches strong logic and critical thinking skills. If you can do this is your spare time, you'll live well for a college student and have a hobby to keep you out of trouble.

But, one big mistake is chasing 1 car when you could have been chasing 3:

Have you considered keeping the same course but hiring help?

I find shopping to be fun and easy, but the processing and what-not takes my time away from my studies. Just hired my first helper, and last week was able to more than double my regular output in half the time. Thanksgiving artificially distorts sales but I had my best one-day sales ever after successfully completing two back to back graduate term tests (in math). Couldn't have done that without help. With proper scheduling, I plan on moving 3x what I have before (removing the hoarder element of overflowing stock) in about half the time.

On average, every $15/h I spend on help translates into an additional $100 in revenue. Sadly, this is better pay than a highly-skilled machinist which in a non-union shop starts at about $14/h. But this is with Philly's shops which aren't that great, I hit a couple stores every day. Unless you plan on starting a brick-and-mortar store, your empire can easily expand from your dorm room without you ever leaving school and give you more free time, as long as you don't have to go out of your way to feed the beast you've created.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
HOW DID I DO?

Hey friends,

I went thrifting yesterday and picked up Hickey Freeman jacket for $5. The tag on the inside is a silverish- gray, that says Hickey Freeman/ Nordstrom. It doesn't say that it was made expressly for Nordstrom. The label says that it is a Madison. The material is 100% wool, and it says 'Tasmanian Super 130's made just for Hickey Freeman'.

It doesn't quite fit me, but I thought for 5 bucks I had to pick it up. I could sell it or give it to someone in my family if it fits them.

So the question is, how did I do?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics.

HOW DID I DO?

Hey friends,

I went thrifting yesterday and picked up Hickey Freeman jacket for $5. The tag on the inside is a silverish- gray, that says Hickey Freeman/ Nordstrom. It doesn't say that it was made expressly for Nordstrom. The label says that it is a Madison. The material is 100% wool, and it says 'Tasmanian Super 130's made just for Hickey Freeman'.

It doesn't quite fit me, but I thought for 5 bucks I had to pick it up. I could sell it or give it to someone in my family if it fits them.

So the question is, how did I do?

Dudeasincool

Reaction score
Avirex Bomber for Catside

BB for me. I was going back and forth on the color. Would you guys wear this color? I wish it was more tan, but decided to get it because it was $10 and I don't find much that fits me right.

I'd wear it. What size is it?

tubs

Reaction score
Anyone want me to pick up a 42R polo linen SC for $25+ tax? Nice cream/light tan color. Send me a pm. Also, I can get a 36s boss lambs wool tweed. Shoulders must be under 17 bc it's a little tight on me. GW fashion focus for $40+tax

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Wow, is that standard issue for insulated, indoor shoots? I thought it was some sort of waterproof dive enclosure. Had no idea there was such a thing to muffle sound. I'm assuming it's to eliminate the sound of your camera, but if you're shooting video (as on the sound city site), there is no shutter sound.
dozingoff.gif

It's actually made by a company that makes dive enclosures, so it's not too far from that. It's to eliminate the sound of still photographs (stills) being taken, not video. That way the sound guy won't pick up the sound. So for example, the previous owner of the blimp was probably sitting to the side of the guy filming it, shooting pictures.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone want me to pick up a 42R polo linen SC for $25+ tax? Nice cream/light tan color. Send me a pm. Also, I can get a 36s boss lambs wool tweed. Shoulders must be under 17 bc it's a little tight on me. GW fashion focus for $40+tax
Polo made in USA or Italy? If Italy, DIBS

Randomore

Reaction score
Here are last weeks finds after dry cleaning. Modeling edition! lol
I apologize about the dirty mirror, didnt realize it until after pics.

NWT Eddie Bauer Down jacket came with matching down gloves. Keeping

Rag & Bone unscructured Blazer in size 44 fits like a slim 42ish, wish it fit but its too big even when wearing a sweater so AVAILABLE

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are last weeks finds after dry cleaning. Modeling edition! lol
I apologize about the dirty mirror, didnt realize it until after pics.
NWT Eddie Bauer Down jacket came with matching down gloves. Keeping

LL

Rag & Bone unscructured Blazer in size 44 fits like a slim 42ish, wish it fit but its too big even when wearing a sweater so AVAILABLE

Do you have a brother who's an alcoholic Baltimore cop named McNulty?

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words, and words of advice.

I agree with parts of what all of you have said, and my plan is similar to what most of you recommended.

I plan to continue college, taking one or two courses at a time at UCSB. It will be far cheaper to do this at UCSB than at my current school. I really love maths, and I will continue to study that. This will allow me not only to continue growing my business, but also to focus more deeply on each maths class. One of the main reasons that this business venture has been profitable is my math education. Behind every non-thrift purchase is a 500+ line spreadsheet in which I do analysis. Beyond that, maths is my passion. Take classes in this way will lower my stress, and allow me to study each topic with greater intensity.

I will finish my math degree. It may take me 8 years, but instead of finishing it lost and in debt, I will finish it with direction and a large chunk of change in the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics