• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fistbump:
PS Thanks for the breakdown on Gant, Ken! I've been wondering about that. I did find a very nice vintage red chambray shirt awhile back (a 'made for' and a Rugger, I think, with MOPs) that just didn't square with the zillions of polyester hybrids I'd seen.
One lingering point of confusion: aren't the old and new Rugger lines both/sometimes labeled 'The Rugger ?

"Gant Rugger" (no "the") is the contemporary line. However the shirts sometimes say "The Rugger" in them as that is the name of the fit. It can be confusing because Gant Rugger is a line in which they go through the archives and remake some of their peices. Similar to L.L. Bean Signature or LVC.
I recently picked up a Gant Rugger shirt with that "R" shield on the breast pocket. Chelsea Trill. But made in the Philippines...WTF? Where does that fit in? It's a white shirt with 1/4? lined with blue fabric. Blue label with white writings.

Sorry no pics, my phone is being a ***** almost cause me to smash it against a wall. :fu:

Sounds about right. The stuff is not top of the line, but definitely trendy and good for an ebay flip. If it's a Medium, hit me up :D
Here are todays finds.

NWT A Bathing Ape Polo, tagged XXL fits like a XL available.

Now would be the time to start an eBay account, that is CASSSSSHH. Shame that ZegnaSport vest is to big for me!

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Almost a 100% thrift fit for a job interview this morning.
file-1500.jpg

file-368.jpg

• Samuelsohn SC
  • No name cotton PC (Trade from Spoo. He called it "Best Trade Ever". That's in my resume now! :lol:)
  • BB shirt
  • BR silk knit tie, Made in Italy (bought new almost 17 years ago).
  • Boss HUD model trouser. I love these. They're a heavyweight calvary twill and I have a few of them.
  • OTC socks, can't remember the brand but I need more OTC.
  • Florsheim Imperial Longwings from GMMcL.

don't love the pocket square fold, and i would reccomend a spread collar for an interview

Looking sharp! I'd agree with the pocket square. However, I'm possibly the most uncreative person when it comes to pocket squares. Mine end up just sort of stuffed in the pocket.

I have a question for the forum's American lawyers. I know that each firm has their own dress code/standards, but I'm thinking of getting one of the Hermés ties that I posted earlier. This can't be worn to court, right? They're all animal prints. It would be a gift for an attorney that has his own firm and works in criminal defense. I don't know about his schedule really, but I know he's a fairly conservative dresser. Would that be an appropriate gift?

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't love the pocket square fold, and i would reccomend a spread collar for an interview

Good point. I've toned it down for other ones (left the PS at home) but this one I wasn't too excited about so I was trying something a bit less conservative.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 (not on you being a moron, on the wife's thoughts).
I'd like to ask mine to do a thrift fit pic but she'd just roll her eyes.

To paraphrase Joe Piscopoe in Johnny Dangerously: My wife took a thrift fit pic for me once. Once.

Too bad. I've got a decent one on today. Blue and green herringbone tweed with rust overcheck SC by Stuart/Samuelsohn, Light blue with green stripe shirt by Chang, wool plaid tie that picks up the rust overcheck, linen square that picks up the brown in the tie, chocolate wool trou and AE penny loafs.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Almost a 100% thrift fit for a job interview this morning

Good luck on the interview.

Second the spread collar, probably go with pale blue solid pattern shirt with a slightly darker microdot blue tie. More conserevitive but this also somewhat depends on the "type" of job your interviewing for.

So many good things coming across the forum, but depending on when you tune in, it's been 15-48 hours old, tough to comment on those. Just have to nod at the monitor and mutter WOW!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

To paraphrase Joe Piscopoe in Johnny Dangerously: My wife took a thrift fit pic for me once. Once.
Too bad. I've got a decent one on today. Blue and green herringbone tweed with rust overcheck SC by Stuart/Samuelsohn, Light blue with green stripe shirt by Chang, wool plaid tie that picks up the rust overcheck, linen square that picks up the brown in the tie, chocolate wool trou and AE penny loafs.

My wife took one fit pic for me as well. I don't think she could have been less interested in the process. I take awful mirror pictures and I would like to try to take pictures like some of you guys or the guys in WAYW. It's actually a time consuming process, though.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested to hear @ if this is worth grabbing or not , I assume its not mainline Versace, but I ran into one just the other day (edit- suit, not tux),,,,price was $50 +, and ebay completed show a range from @ $50 or so to $150, so I didn't kop.....
From Spoo:

"Maybe a hundo?"

probably a good pass for you.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo .......

Wherefore art thou?

Eddie ......

Other Versace enthusiasts ......

By Zegna, yes? But is this the Versace I'm looking for?

From what I've read the V2 is high end Versace but older, not a diffusion line so yes it is the Versace you're looking for but not at the $50 mark.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score

Speaking of rust over check thrift pic:

This is pretty far past what I would normally wear color wise

Hickey Freeman SC, super low outlet price last month $44 (was $895)
Nordstrom button down (thrifted)
DKNY tie (thrifted)
Hickey Freeman flat front gray slacks, same sale $27 (were $250)
AE Grayson's (free from AE for buying a dozen pairs, over a long time)

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah, ldb, not a fan of super low-contrast fits like that. Much better with a white, ecru, or light blue shirt. Tie is not my cup of tea, either - color is in the right ballpark, but the pattern makes it look kinda cheap, TBH.

Fit of the jacket and trousers is very good, though.

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found two Thomas Pink dress shirts in Large today that I was gonna grab to pass onto another member here but I realized I had forgotten my wallet at home and I didnt have enough cash for them. Maybe they will still be there next time I go back.

highlifeman

Reaction score
You are correct...thanks for the correction, I have edited my original reply to include your addition.
No problemo!
Seriously, Capn is the man when it comes to shoes. I dont think anyone comes close. Really glad we have such a generous knowledge base when it comes to this stuff.
+1111111111....he is the man....... Dont post there much but keep up with the labels id thread, he is always helping people out on that thread....he is even patient with them when they ask the same question 10 different times...(saw that a day or to ago
lol8[1].gif
.)

I was just browsing the re-released McAllister on the interwebs and it looks like the toe box has been rounded out slightly. And $355, zoinks!!! I'll take the $10 pair please.
biggrin.gif
Would take the $10 pair every time as well....I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to pay retail again for shoes or clothes......
From Spoo:

"Maybe a hundo?"

probably a good pass for you.
Thanks!- May check back and see if it makes it to 1/2 price day...then it may be worth it, but probably not otherwise....

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of rust over check thrift pic:

This is pretty far past what I would normally wear color wise

Hickey Freeman SC, super low outlet price last month $44 (was $895)
Nordstrom button down (thrifted)
DKNY tie (thrifted)
Hickey Freeman flat front gray slacks, same sale $27 (were $250)
AE Grayson's (free from AE for buying a dozen pairs, over a long time)

Not a fan of the low contrast between shirt, jacket and pants... Maybe light shirt and charcoal or navy pants?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads