• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Quote:
Hermes find for client Holiday gifts!

Which ONE should I keep?
How much of a peacock are you?

Personally, I think Cosmos is the best design, bar none. Beautiful color variation, good contrast. Follies de Ciel is whimsical (I have it in a black 90cm)

But, would you wear a pink pocket square? Would you frame it, if you don't wear it? Or would it languish, forgotten and unloved, in the bottom of the drawer?

If you are a bit more conservative, I think the dark grey tie-pattern (top row, fourth from the right) would look wonderful with a dove grey, navy, or charcoal suit.
Excellent eye, I am close to the same debate. I know the Cosmos is the most desirable but alas the one I would get most use of would be one of the tie patterns. Thank you for the post.

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found these Allen Edmonds dress shoes in size 12a the other day. I typically wear a size 11D but they fit well enough that I may hang onto them.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most likely not the LBM 1911 you're looking for. The one that will sell is the trendy stuff: narrow labels, slim fit, double vent, high button stance, etc.

I think Zegna cloth is underrated as a selling point; a few weeks ago I sold a random unvented Coppley jacket with Zegna cloth for $50, which is more than I got for an Oxxford jacket, two HF jackets, a full Paul Stuart suit, and any other jacket I've listed before (individually, not combined).

I found these Allen Edmonds dress shoes in size 12a the other day. I typically wear a size 11D but they fit well enough that I may hang onto them.

You could also probably flip them and use the money to buy a pair on eBay actually in your size, which will probably make you a lot happier and more comfortable.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Coppley seems like decent stuff. I pick up pretty much anything loro piana because the name carries enough weight. If you're getting less than $50 for an Oxxford though, unless it's an orphan or something seriously wrong with it, you're doing something wrong.

Also, did you get my money? :happy:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could also probably flip them and use the money to buy a pair on eBay actually in your size, which will probably make you a lot happier and more comfortable.

I was thinking that very same thing just now actually. I listed them on Craigslist so Ill see what happens.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most likely not the LBM 1911 you're looking for. The one that will sell is the trendy stuff: narrow labels, slim fit, double vent, high button stance, etc.

I suspect you are right. Fortunately, my investment is low. Pictures (and I know, I need to spend more time with staging):

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left an old Pinstripe db Luciano barbera in charcoal and same db pinstripe Oxxford in navy maybe 44 or 46 in good condition. both unvented. Trousers pleated. Okay to leave stuff like that?
Might post some cool finds later if I get a lil more good stuff soon.

I would pick up the Barbera.

. it was holding a Tom James suit -_-

I would totally get that Brioni hanger plus the Polo behind it. Did you at least get that Brioni?

I don't think that's the Givenchy you are looking for. I've ran across a few of them in the field. They don't look to be quality made.

Hermes find for client Holiday gifts!

Which ONE should I keep?

Jesus Christ!!!

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coppley seems like decent stuff. I pick up pretty much anything loro piana because the name carries enough weight. If you're getting less than $50 for an Oxxford though, unless it's an orphan or something seriously wrong with it, you're doing something wrong.

Yeah I'm not sure what happened with that Oxxford. I put it on B&S and didn't get any offers and I listed it on eBay twice; I think it was because the arms were 2 inches shorter than a normal jacket, though.

Also, did you get my money? :happy:

I did; I'll be picking up the glasses tomorrow afternoon and I'll probably be able to get them in the mail after work.

Xenos

Reaction score

Fay is good stuff? I wasn't familiar with them.

Found a Fay coat for my daughter over the summer. I had never heard of them either but the quality seemed very high. A quick Google search yielded a pic of Madonna wearing the same coat, which retails for about $1,100. Mine was $20.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Fay is good stuff? I wasn't familiar with them.

Found a Fay coat for my daughter over the summer. I had never heard of them either but the quality seemed very high. A quick Google search yielded a pic of Madonna wearing the same coat, which retails for about $1,100. Mine was $20.

Definitely nice. I have only seen it in high-end stores. The quality is definitely there and I would assume it would stick out against the normal stuff on thrift racks.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Zegna cloth is underrated as a selling point; a few weeks ago I sold a random unvented Coppley jacket with Zegna cloth for $50, which is more than I got for an Oxxford jacket, two HF jackets, a full Paul Stuart suit, and any other jacket I've listed before (individually, not combined).
how is that even possible?!?!?! I flipped a canali proposta orphan for $200 without much effort. Have you tried taking better pictures or putting the jackets on a mannequin?

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Had a Nataku kinda day today...some Americana, some Militaria, some SW&D, some breathtaking MC, and some horse's ass.

I need a Nat signal for this one....

Probably the heaviest piece I've ever thrifted, upwards of 6 or 7 lbs. Has over a half dozen pockets, three of which are on the back. Tons of snaps, RiRi zippers, it's been repaired numerous times. Nat, any idea what country this is from, what the camo's called, what era? I think I can estimate by how it fits me that the "52" stamped inside is a euro size large, but everything else about this is a mystery to me. Could it be a hunting jacket?

I only hit three stores today, two of which were home runs, while the first was a strikeout. The first, usually the honey hole, has been consistently raising their prices on suits so while I've seen some nice stuff, I'm not ready to drop $40-70 on possible flops.

The second store is one I usually let recharge for awhile. It doesn't often have the most current stuff and I can tell no flippers go through there because I left a meh Etro shirt two months ago and it's still in the same spot. Good news for me. The funniest part about this store is that they are always 30% off the ticketed price, but 50% off when it's currently snowing. It snowed last night, but not today. Damn.

I hit the suits and SCs first as they moved them and looked like they added tothe collection. Mostly polyester junk, but what's this?

Gianluca Isaia. Yes, unvented but in a very pleasing to the eye pattern. Great condition with the exception of a smudge at the lapel that should brush off or come out with a cleaning.

Also found this recent small J Crew corduroy blazer that I'm going to put to use (N/A)

This place is rad in that they often have oddball, very well made outerwear. I passed on a pilled vintage Golden Bear peacoat, a really nice peak lapel charcoal overcoat, and a tan overcoat with zip-in lining in my size (36R).

What I did pick up is this baller, on point with FW12 style, Clicker car coat with a slight shawl collar, ribbed cuffs, lined, Talon zippers. It has the works as far as well made jacket from the 50s/60s go. Looks like a little fading on the collar...could also be dirt that could wash out. Stupidly nice coat. sz, 40

Riding this high, I hit another store that I let recharge, but that has high traffic so the turnover is awesome. I always scan the shoes first as they are mostly at eye level, displayed above several of the racks. Oh, what's this my little horsey friend.

Super nice, barely worn shell loafers. Royal Tweed Premium Grade by Cheaney. Can't quite make out the size, but they look to be around 9 1/2.

On to the outerwear as there tends to be a congregation of people tearing this rack apart, flinging jackets any which way.

I have no idea how this jacket accumulated so many patches over a decade as I would've torn, stained, or lost this in the first couple of years. Hard to believe, but this jacket must've been on the launchpad at least a couple times in its life. The owner is obviously from CO and worked for companies that supplied parts to the various space missions in the late 60s and 70s. He looks to have been a high end European auto enthusiast. I love the Coor's, Spacelab, and Roadrunner/Wiley Coyote patches the most. You can't make this kind of piece up. Best of all is it's a size 36. Fits me and when I grow tired of it, I will probably be sending it to Japan for a decent chunk of change.

Hit the shirts next...left a beautiful Battistoni that had some loose buttons and just the beginning of fraying at the collar and cuffs. Did snag this rad RRL flannel in size large.

and for the big jawdropper of the day...no idea how this made it to this particular store, but I'm not complaining.

BOOSH.

Who makes or made jackets in Italy for RLPL? I don't recall this label.

Some other quite buttery things from the past couple of weeks which I hadn't had a chance to take pics of.....

PRL ~36R schoolboy wool blazer. Throat latch, gold buttons. Tradsplosion.

Wes, how old is this union label?

Way vintage Chester Barrie 100% cashmere houndstooth blazer. Soft as a baby's ass after a bath.

Near mint Gerry suede patch, partially shearling lined down-filled vest.

Ridiculously overbuilt vintage wool flannel trousers. These are the reference point for current Engineered Garments and Michael Bastian winter pants. Slanted side pockets, cargo pockets, metal buttons, stiff wool, button fly, reinforced cuff with adjustable leather strap. Legit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics