• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF....I need to be in Japan right now.  

You would have went nuts at all the vintage outerwear/workwear labels they had. Seriously spotted at least 10 people a day sporting a vintage or vintage-repro Kelty daypack. Tons of vintage "duck hunter" camo stuff. So jealous as they don't even make the pattern available here anymore (well, they do but there are very few examples).

I'm going to spoiler these as they aren't thrift related but I know a few of you may be interested.

Vintage label Mountainsmith

This was a cool 60/40 style parka.

Figured I would post these as if I remember right, there were some fellow Studio Ghibli fans on here.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would have went nuts at all the vintage outerwear/workwear labels they had. Seriously spotted at least 10 people a day sporting a vintage or vintage-repro Kelty daypack. Tons of vintage "duck hunter" camo stuff. So jealous as they don't even make the pattern available here anymore (well, they do but there are very few examples).

I'm going to spoiler these as they aren't thrift related but I know a few of you may be interested.

Figured I would post these as if I remember right, there were some fellow Studio Ghibli fans on here.

I am going to cry I want all of those things, especially the studio Ghibli stuff and duck camo stuff, also I have a repo kelty
shog[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Norton and Sons

Bogogli

Jesus Christ! That Norton & Sons is super rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently picked up a Coat orphan seersucker pants. Super nice!

Me, me, me!!! I was humming the damn theme song from Ponyo for days!

rayxlui

Reaction score
Oh yeah some notable passes:

Recent 15milmil15 with tiny stains.
Gucci shirt
Prada shirt
J Brand jeans
Denim Island.

emptym

Reaction score

This thread used to be a place where people found great great things and wore them with pride or passed them at cost as favours - you might have noticed or not but I'm doing that myself with a Caruso jacket.
Nowadays it's just a joke because it reeks of niggardly greed.
"Shite jacket by some awful maker - AVAILABLE"
A true true joke.

While I share your complaint to some degree, I'm not sure you're the best person to cast the first stone, since a significant percentage of your posts depict items you're selling (see the Folded Shirt Pron and in Praise of Navy threads).

True, the pics are helpful, and the posts contain no overt solicitations. But the ads in your sig reveal that these post are made in part out of a commercial interest no less than that of some members here.

This is true to some extent. eBay discussions and people posting prices on stuff never used to happen. Still, with change comes good and bad. We've got a lot of new members and I love reading about other people's interests besides clothing that they look for in thrift stores (art, records, bikes, etc) There is still a little spirit from how it used to be with some folks passing stuff on at cost, for free or trading but as 300ck stated, I've seen a lot of quoting eBay prices. If you want eBay prices, take it there. With that said, I love the thread for what it is. It has it's ups and downs, but what doesn't?

+1

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all you record guys. I thrifted these this evening in the best way possible; free! A friend of mine's mother is moving into a care home so him and his brothers went through the house today and took what they wanted and filled up 2 Salvation Army trucks with the rest. I told him if him and his brothers didn't want them, I lay claim on any records or audio equipment. No stereo stuff, but he did just drop 4 milk crates of LPs on my doorstep.

This is really all I got out of the 4 milk crates. Everything else was 50's easy listening (Ray Coniff, Guy Lombardo, Mitch Miller, etc), polka and some common 50's-60's country that I already have copies of. From what he told me, his mom was the "rocker" and his dad was the mellow jazz/easy listening guy. What a contrast! Was thrilled to find Wanda Jackson's first album. Great female rockabilly.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

Saw Wanda ten-ish years ago at a club in Seattle. She still had it. The back-up band was local, but she either did her homework or got incredibly lucky. A memorable night.

acosbysweater

Reaction score

Sick stuff Nat. I actually have an OG Wilderness Experience daypack that I use on the daily. Not quite as nice as the repro you posted here, but still great. Thrifted, natch.

Some more dumb crap I found today:

AE Fifth Aves in 11D

Viyella (L) and Zegna Sport (M) casual shirts.

Here's some weird Japanese brand that I have no idea about...Nat, any help deciphering the content tag? It feels like part cashmere, so that might be the 10% with the other 90% being wool? I think it was probably an expensive piece given that the flagship store is in the Shibuya prefecture. It definitely has the dated styling everyone likes to hate (fishmouth, unvented, jetted pockets), but realizing that it's a Japanese brand with a recent looking label, I think that's fully intentional. I'd put the sizing at close to a 36R due to the shoulder and pit to pit. The sleeves are quite short, but that makes sense given its provenance.

Anndddd...a soft as a baby's bottom Brioni tie.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, I dont know when I am going to have the time to take pics, and I know text posts are no fun, but for now its all I can muster. Local event in .0001% status wealth had a "flea market" at a fair that had fill-a-bag for $30. I got 2 garbage bags for $60 and took home :
4x Stubbs and Wootton needlepoint embroidered loafers
2x Bass brick sole suede PTBs
1x Bass black Weejun penny (with pennies still inside)
2x Brooks Brothers mocha and chocolate suede brick sole PTBs
Ralph Lauren made in Italy chestnut handstitched loafers
NWT $1550 Celine floral printed skirt from 2 seasons ago
black double turn lock Coach mens briefcase
4x JCrew tailored fit 2 ply cotton shirts
1x Hermes striped button down with silver bullet buttons
Kiton 7 fold tie
Bergdorf Goodman alligator belt
Davide Cenci trench coat with zip out removable lining
Banana Republic cotton/poly essential Mac raincoat
NWT Holland and Sherry heavy woven tie
Allen Edmonds Randolph loafers
Noname handmade in Brazil tassel kiltie shoes
PRL emerald green wide wale corduroys
Polo Ralph Lauren white true buckskin bucks with brick soles
Tods womens Gommini driving loafers
Previously thought to be NWT but was just drycleaned and folded Tom Ford white tuxedo shirt
:slayer:

I want to see that BG gator belt and the hermes bd with silver bullet buttons.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn I missed an excellent discussion of a somewhat intellectual nature. Should teach me to log off Styleforum and go out for dinner!

post .... "no man, when i called your mom a '***-guzzling whore' ... rest of post

Hahahaha, awesome.

Nice Ferragamo shoes by the way.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nataku,

Any thrift spots you can recommend in MN? I typically hit up the GW in shakopee, Lakeville and Apple Valley alone with the SA in Burnsville and Unique. It seems like Unique is the only place that ever has quality stuff. Ut they are for-profit so a suit can easily run $60.

Care to spill the secret spots? :slayer:

GHo

Reaction score

Nataku,
Any thrift spots you can recommend in MN? I typically hit up the GW in shakopee, Lakeville and Apple Valley alone with the SA in Burnsville and Unique. It seems like Unique is the only place that ever has quality stuff. Ut they are for-profit so a suit can easily run $60.

:nest:

come down to Des Moines. best thrifting in the midwest. :embar::crazy:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nataku,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads