1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Barrel's suggestion is one way to go, and I've seen it done well but I'm no longer surprised by such bold choices. I do think red pants with black top and black/white heels would look classy and striking. I myself have a linen pinstripe orphan (the matching pants were made for a shapeless stick) that I wear in the summer, and I make it work by picking up the colors of the jacket with a mild but distinct contrast (so it doesn't look accidental, but also not jarring or strong juxtaposition) using a solid pant (usually white). In your case, following that method I would see black pants (imagine not denim, but could be) doing well with a white jacket using the black stripes to connect the two (though still bold, as you will inevitably be with such a garment). Then for the shirt, any dark or not-light color would work, preferably with some texture to soften the hard look. Then I would go with some solid heels in a saturated color with a hue in the red family (or maybe even a teal?).

I have a white cotton summer SC that I wear in the summer, but it doesn't have stripes. In that case, following that I said above about mild but distinct contrast, I will go for a tan (not stone) chino and a light-medium blue shirt with green/blue accents and a rich brown shoe / belt. That has worked very well, using the earth tones to anchor soft natural colors with the bold white jacket to accentuate.

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

My jersey story. I few years ago I was alerted to a custom made sale by Eastbay on baseball jerseys. Free ship, multiple stackable codes, etc. They were nice and, I think, the letters and numbers were sewn on. A lot of guys were ordering their name and number on their favorite team jersey. Ok, but I got creative and had them do a Pittsburgh pirates jersey with Roberto Clemente’s numbers. Actually, stole the idea from some dudes that were doing Mark McQuire, Barry Bonds rookie jerseys (steroids!). It came out nice and I paid like $30 or $40 for it. Wore it for a while and ended up flipping it a year later for about $150.

Had a good week:
    Patagonia organic cotton pants. 33Wx30
    [​IMG]

E Zegna soft SC. Fits like a 40R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

G. Armani suit. I thought this was a "straight to the bay" find, but internet sleuthing suggests that the "borgo novo" tag could be made by Vestimenta. Need to check for an interior label.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesomesauce nettleton shell cordo saddles. Size 11C.
    [​IMG]
    V cleats? How bout some circle cleats![​IMG][​IMG]

E Zegna short sleeve shirt. Tagged 58. Color is PINK. I guess it's available as it makes my nips show.
    [​IMG]

Prescription lensed Ray Ban wayfarers. Two toned black and purple. My big face can't pull these off fo sure, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWT J Press Tux. 46R. Whut?! Peak lapels. First I thought, this guy is really long then I see the pants aren’t hemmed (!). Did the girl stand him up before the wedding? The old “dirt nap”? I did pay boutique prices but I don’t see any problems recouping those and then some.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BB staple navy blazer with gold buttons. 41R

[​IMG]
    NOT 14K gold :( [​IMG]

Semirecent navy E Zegna tie w/ purple dots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not pictured: staple Hickey Freeman custom made solid navy suit.

3. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Made a stop before class, had an insane haul. Proper pictures to follow later
    For now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I always try to make sure the pants are pictured in my main pic just to avoid that very problem. I usually don't bother to put them on the mannequin, but I hang them behind it when taking shots of the jacket so it's clearly not an orphan.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They cropped the pic....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Oh, that's annoying. You could probably email and ask them not to use your photos at all or in any altered form, if it bothers you. It's your intellectual property.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I'm ecstatic to be featured and credited. On the other, I just hope the content of the article won't deter folks from clicking through to SF and eventually my listings. Of course once they get to the linked SF page, they will see it is actually a suit.

I think overall, I'm more happy than not.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

That makes sense. I wouldn't count on too much traffic to your listings, though - PTO readers are too lazy to go farther than one click. At least, that's what I've concluded from the fact that when they feature my listings, none of my other listings get any noticeable bumps in traffic.

1 person likes this.
  9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

True. I have always wondered about that too. It has been a while since an actual listing of mine was featured. Since then I have upgraded to a premium store. The normal traffic report now has some extra features allowing me to see the full path of the shoppers browsing. So next time I get a hit on the PTO roundup, I can see if anyone is actually using the category links at the bottom of each listing.

I must be the exception to the rule. I get clicking on stuff so much I forget where I started.
    [​IMG]

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

[​IMG]
    shiny
    are you selling this?
    can i get measurements on this jacket?

11. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

Wes, that article on PTO was actually written by Derek (dieworkwear). Jesse would have done all he could to drive traffic to your eBay ;)

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oops, I didn't notice it was Derek. Thanks...edited original post to give proper shout outs where shout outs are due.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

Stumbled onto someones soul and jazz LP collection. Al Green, Isley Brothers, Brothers Johnson, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Jonah Jones, Hot Chocolate, Heat Wave, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Friends of Distinction, Spinners, Dells, Aretha, Jonnie Taylor, Main Ingredient. And Bootsy "Player of the Year" .:slayer: :slayer: :slayer: Among others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this place, LP's are 4 for $1, so 24 for $6. :slayer:

4 people like this.
  14. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Yes, made in USA.
    Not sure either has been played much at all. Both are near pristine.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I think this got held up in review and skipped. You've done very well, son. Impressive. I've gotta imagine thrifting kicks some serious tail in Dubai.
    Same year, though I've had bare chin interludes since.
    What is wrong with the sick, twisted mind that would even think of this. Do you know how many times I had to check to see if he was actually a dude? Still not convinced.
    :wow: Thrift fit.
    Unnamed SC, from OCooney in an awesome trade. I failed to do it justice. Sadly, though, as you can see: it's just too short. So this may be its last run. 42S with something to trade for 42R, get at me. JPress Rooster wool linen sq. BB merino BB cord Church's shoes [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^ That jacket is tits!!! Nice look. :fonz:

17. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Nice! I haven't had an LP haul of more than 1 or 2 things in years, I'm jealous.

18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sad part is that it was totally picked over. I can't imagine what I missed out on. :brick: :fu:

19. DanM

DanM Senior member

WHOA.

Nice haul!!!

20. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Wouldn't you know it, first time I ever see G&H (even if not quite the G&H I'm looking for) ...
    [​IMG]
    it has gorges on level with armpits.
    [​IMG]

:fu:

Eazy, awesome vinyl haul. Don't worry about what you missed. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.