1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

^ I wore it once to a dinner with a western chambray shirt and some cowboy boots. [​IMG]

2. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

That's the way to do it. I couldn't pull it off but it's gonna make somebody happy.

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:fu:

I tried to find some before SF and after SF pics of me but they're lost in the mists of the internet. I'm wearing things now that I would have never thought possible before and in most cases, didn't even KNOW about to wear. Count me as fortunate that I came to the internet for advice on what to wear! :worship2:

I've only ever found the one piece and had to look it up (hence the retail factoid) and it has jumped to the head of my summer wear shirts. It's that nice (in my world). :lol:

[​IMG]

Agreed! If someone doesn't ask for opinions, then it's business as usual. I'm only talking about those here who might WANT to learn more within the confines of this thread's community.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I could put all five sets to use right now! I'm betting you'll be holding on to them! :nodding:

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Dig, I don't have a problem with your proposal re: fits, but I think it's gonna be hard to make it happen. As DeadBoy said, the default assumption on SF is that if you post fit pics, you're opening yourself to advice and criticism. Gonna be impossible to change that apart from doing like they do in SW&D and have a fit pic thread that says NO COMMENTARY in the title.

5. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

I've pretty much taken over our guest bedroom in the house. That is until my parents decided to come visit us this weekend and I had to find a home for the stacks of clothes and floor full of boxes... luckily I'm at my lowest inventory of stuff to get rid of that I've ever been.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Please explain how your life is better because of listening to advice from a bunch of people you've never met prognosticate on the ins and outs of old-school style. I came here to help figure out how to quantify quality, not for style advice.

Perhaps I'm set in my ways as a 36 year old old coot, but I don't give a damn what other people think of the way I dress. If you do, you're missing the point of individuality.

I'll compare it to the people on the radio bitching about how Pope Francis is hard line against homosexuality. He's a Catholic ferchristssake! Have your opinions on style, but don't hate others for being different!

7. FillW

FillW Senior member

I listen to what they have to say because they post pics of themselves and they look great. They know how to dress. They know what's wrong with someone's clothes when they see it.

1 person likes this.
  8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

+1

9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I don't mean to be rude, and forgive me if I'm off base at all, but I'm pretty sure the majority of SF members come to SF exactly to learn about style, and the thrift thread is no different. People are here to learn how to quantify quality in order to enhance their own wardrobes and then to test out their knowledge in the real world. Sure, there are a ton of pure flippers who populate this forum, but they hide in the shadows, taking bits of quality-quantification information from people who care about enhancing their own style and using it to flip clothing on ebay.

I'm not saying pure flippers haven't become valued members of the forum, but they generally don't complain about things (generally). We all flip, but the majority of us flip in order to enhance our wardrobes.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

What ATLJon said, but also if you don't care about tailored clothing then you should probably just skip it. You know your stuff, the hiking gear, biking stuff, etc. so stick to that. If you're set on looking at the suits and sportcoats to flip, just memorize the good brands. What does it matter to you how the quality is if you're just looking to flip?

Also, quit bitching at people.

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Sometimes I would have liked to have seen the original owner of things in thrift stores, just to get an idea of who buys some of that stuff. This pair of shoes is one of those situations:

Dolce & Gabbana (possibly Couture?) python loafers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tod's in great condition:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent (I think) Versace tie:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dolce & Gabbana tie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corneliani suit. Not too hold, but it is a hard 3 button. Photos are terrible, way overexposed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice finds! What size are these? [​IMG]

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Pope Francis doesn't come to the homosexuality.com forums for advice on how to identify homosexuals

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks! They're around my size...I'll have to check though. In my haste, I actually thought the were brand new when I bought them, explaining why I paid the price I did. :embar: It wasn't until I got home that I realized that they're not new, but in brilliant condition. Maybe they were floor models?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  15. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Wearing this again today and still wondering....

SPOO!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yes, the Toots version is the gold standard, But you really should give Old Folks (from the previously mentioned Whose Garden Is This) a listen:

One of the all-time best bad songs.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Well, I was going to comment on any number of other things, but this -- this --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

The comments on thrift fits in this thread are SO much kinder than the comments on fits in other threads. This feels like a pretty safe space for posting fit pics, even with commentary.

2 people like this.
  19. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm not hatin'. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyhow, you asked for it but I'm warning you, once seen, it can't be unseen.

This was me, 2 years ago almost to the day.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Um...this is not the thread to post fit pics...it's the thrift bragging thread...

Now if ur fit pic falls under thrift/trade/discount brag worthy fit, then by all means post it. But please don't generalize this thread as a fit pic thread. It won't be a good outcome for u.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.