• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Holy hell Nataku! Very nice of you to be thinking of the rest of us.

I haven't been thrifting in a while, but I went to a local Goodwill with my girlfriend to drop off some clothing. I just wanted to check out their stock and stumbled upon some great finds.

I've been looking to get some more pairs of pants and found 4 in my size. I picked up the following, all in my size:

> Light gray wool Made in Italy Polo pants (wearing these now)
> Dark gray wool Hugo Boss pants
> Charcoal gray wool (Loro Piano fabric) Brooks Brothers pants...very nice feel to the wool
> Medium brown wool Luciano Barbera (not Club) pants
> Blue Zegna dress shirt
> JPress silk tie

I also found an "odd jacket" (seems like an orphaned suit jacket) in a very dark brown. It's fully canvassed with surgeon cuffs and no tags whatsoever - no designer label, no contents label; nothing. It fit me perfectly - even the sleeve length works.

jeremyjoe

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im a long time reader but this is my first purchase after reading this forum for a couple weeks. Can you guys tell me if i did any good. Two E. Zegna Suits, $25 Each - The both fit my very well, except i have to take in the sleeves and shorten the pants Burberry Sportcoat, $9
m200655862.jpg
Blue Striped 2 button single vent with vest, flat front with cuff, 100 Virgin wool
m200655902.jpg
Gray 2 button single vent, flat front with cuff, 100% wool
m200655885.jpg
Burberry Made in England. They also had about 4 or 5 more Zegna Suits at $25 a piece but too small for me (prob 38 American) Can you guys make any comments on my finds? Also im a shorter guy so i want to take the cuffs out of the pants, should i do that with this suit since it is flat front?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
**Advance apology for the ****** pictures. Our office camera sucks, as do my photography skills. Not a good combination.)**

So today I had one of those epic finds that make your heart skip a beat when you try to take it all in. It's been a very slow year so far. It's been a couple years since I had a really good find (four recent Isaia suits). This summer, as most summers do, blows thrift wise. Garage sales usually never have anything unless you go to a really wealthy neighborhood, but they rarely have garage sales.

I heard about a local church sale today, so I figured "what the hell", got up at 6am and went to stand in line for 1 1/2 hrs so I could get first dibs on stuff. Just as it started to rain, they started to let us in. The place was a maze and the mere size of the place didn't help either. I got lost, but finally found the men's clothing room(s). Dress shirts, trousers, suits/jackets and outerwear were in one room and tee-shirts, knits, ties, belts, etc were in another. I didn't even find the shoes, though I bet there were some nice ones!

Poorest set-up ever! I probably passed up some very nice dress shirts, ties and trousers because of the way they set up! Dress shirts were folded in half and stacked 20-30 shirts high. This made a huge mess as people wanting to see what was on the bottom messed the piles up. Ties and trousers were tossed in random cardboard boxes. The suits/jackets was the only section that was easy to look through. As soon as I got in, I went straight to the suit rack and pulled out a very recent Brooks Bros. Golden Fleece (Hand Tailored in Italy, but not by Isaia) suit. 50L and $20. Not bad, but too big. I keep flipping and find two beautiful recent Oxxford suits. Next is a bunch of Versace V2 garbage. Then a couple Armani black labels and then I see this label staring at me:

DSC05821.jpg

I thought "Damn! I know that label. But can it be....."

Flipped the jacket open to find that I was right:

DSC05823.jpg

I keep going down the line, Brioni, Brioni, Brioni, Brioni....... I couldn't believe it!

Here's the haul. All pretty recent Brioni suits, except for two older suits and one older sportcoat. Sportcoats were $13 and suits were $20. I spent way more than I ever have at any thrift/garage sale but this basically the deal of a lifetime and I know I'd regret not picking them up! All in excellent shape. Mix of 44R/44S. The 44S ones will be for sale shortly.

DSC05825.jpg

DSC05826.jpg

DSC05827.jpg

DSC05828.jpg

Among my favorites is a 100% silk herringbone blazer (left).

DSC05829.jpg

DSC05833.jpg

DSC05834.jpg

DSC05837.jpg

Now for those of you who are thinking "Damn, did you leave anything behind for the potential sartorial bargain hunter?!" I did indeed. I left behind at least 4 more older Brioni suits, 3 older Brioni sportcoats, at least a dozen recent Brooks Bros. Golden Fleece and mainline suits and a handful of Oxxfords. Partially because I only had so much cash and partially because I wanted to leave behind some stuff to make this sale worthwhile to others too. I can't stand people who "clean house" when they find a load of nice stuff, so I didn't want to become that person, though it was very tempting!

Anyway, long story short - be persistent. Keep at it and good finds will come!

whoah - that's awesome! great finds!!!
worship.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, we hit the jackpots on the same day!

I finally found a Kiton suit.
A 100% CASHMERE SUIT!!!! In perfect condition, fits like a glove. $29.92
A Kiton Blue Blazer, seems to be a size too large for me. It is shown as a 58L, but fits like a 44-46, not really a L.
A Zegna, 1/4 lined travel blazer for $4.00 somehow still basted shut.
I am not sure if I will keep it or see if the thrifters want to trade for something cool?
Then I found a pair of brown Peal and CO BRAND NEW Monk straps, Totally unworn.
They were $5.00, not my size, but I had to pick them up.

greenyco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

A Kiton Blue Blazer, seems to be a size too large for me. It is shown as a 58L, but fits like a 44-46, not really a L.
I am not sure if I will keep it or see if the thrifters want to trade for something cool?

What size are the monkstraps if you dont mind me asking?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I found two Kiton cashmere suits once but 10 Brioni tops that.

Yeah. I think this thread can be successfully ended. 10 Brioni suits is the pinnacle.

Swan Song

Reaction score
my puny Florsheims pale next to Brioni, but here they are, none-the-less. $5
A little more burgandy than the recently found JM. Needs sole/footbed/heel.

A new pair of E. Zegna Super 100s Worsted Wool Trousers, Tobacco color $2

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
**So today I had one of those epic finds that make your heart skip a beat when you try to take it all in....

This thread has nowhere to go from here but down.

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

Originally Posted by jeremyjoe
Hi guys, Im a long time reader but this is my first purchase after reading this forum for a couple weeks. Can you guys tell me if i did any good.

I would consider that a very good day. Well done.

A Kiton Blue Blazer, seems to be a size too large for me. It is shown as a 58L, but fits like a 44-46, not really a L...want to trade for something cool?.

Damn, I don't have anything in your size!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where did you make this amazing haul????

jpo

Reaction score
Although, nothing approaching the scale of the above posts, I very much enjoyed my find.

Stopping at my nearby Sbucks, there is a clothing reseller, Platos Closet next door, mostly mall stuff for teens, I bought my coffee with $10 bill and with the change bought a Borelli striped dress shirt. It was in perfect condition, ultra soft and the fattest mop buttons I've ever owned. $2 coffee and a $6 Borelli shirt. Funny enough, it's the highest-end shirt I own probably :]

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpo
Although, nothing approaching the scale of the above posts, I very much enjoyed my find.

Stopping at my nearby Sbucks, there is a clothing reseller, Platos Closet next door, mostly mall stuff for teens, I bought my coffe with $10 bill and with the change bought a Borelli striped drew shirt. It was in perfect condition, ultra soft and the fattest mop buttons I've ever owned. $2 coffee and a $6 Borelli shirt. Funny enought, it's the highest-end shirt I own probably :]

I didn't know they bought back Borrelli from people.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes are 8 1/2, not sure if that is UK or US.
Ill snap pics and measure for accuracy. Again, they are not my size so I can not attest to fit.
Also, they are marked on the inside so they cant be returned.

I live up on the Northshore, there is a little secret consignment/thrift that often gets goods from Syd Jerome, Gorge Green ect. Also, the Lakeforest crowd donates and this is one outlets it gets sold out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads