1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Re GMMcL's pants: lol, my first thought was "Damn nice to finally see someone on here with jeans that fit." Minority viewpoint, I know. Just so many people's fits seem top heavy to my eye.

2. suited

suited Senior member

This stuff feels great, fully canvassed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

WHOA! Is there a material/manufacture tag? Curious who made that. As promised, here are pics of the YSL and KFS. Both made for Barneys in what I assume are the early/mid 1970s. Feel fused not canvased, but every single other aspect of the tailoring screams quality: Seams are tight, plenty of handwork at pocket edges, silhouette is nicely nipped in. If the KFS doesn't sell, I may looking into having the trouser legs taken in at the bottom and wearing this one, at the very least as a beater/travel suit. YSL, measures as a 40 or 41R [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    KFS, measures as a 41R [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

YSL lapels too slim

2 people like this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

LOL. I can't help but see them and think of the flying nun.

Srsly, I don't know why these things have me so enchanted. Old licensed YSL and KFS should be nothing special. Maybe it's the fact that these are in pristine condition over 40 years later, and maybe it's just the novelty of seeing such a mashup of current and modern (dual vent/flat front/nipped waist with HUUGE lapels and bell bottoms). Or maybe it's just that suit quality has gone so far down that middle-of-the-road from 40 years ago seems high quality. Whatever, these have me thoroughly enthralled.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

About 100 pairs of cuff links, and lots of extra pins and tie bars. I found 4 or 5 novelty pins that will easily pay for the entire lot. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Fake??

[​IMG]

It has the gold cuff buttons and the rest are MOP

9. DanM

DanM Senior member

So jealous, I never find cufflinks or tie bars. Nice haul.

10. suited

suited Senior member

Some shop in HK, must have been an online order. The lapels on that YSL are insane!
    Wow, make sure to post that in the vintage clothing thread.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Wes, jesus christ man, that coat is like top 10 coolest shit posted. Srs.

Was out in the field today, couple of cool things to pay bills with - pics eventually - air force/marines jacket (I posted earlier), gucci sneakers, Dolce & Gabbana couture leopard tie, PZ SC, Saks cashmere SC, couple of other things (is anyone a Yankees fan, BTW? I grabbed a minty G-III Leather look jacket, if anyone wants to trade).

The coolest shit I found (again, sorry no pics but Im so tired) was a real, vintage 80s Fila leather jacket with the giant logos all over it. Slightly musty smell, but Ill clean it up and likely mack out on that. Those are highly coveted. Psyched about that.

And, in cool news, I found 2 bespoke 1970s Pierre Cardin and Ted Lapidus blazers - the Pierre Cardin is almost a pagoda shoulder action, its made in France and has a label that does not look like anything you see on the licenced crap that you pass. This is the real deal. The buttons are etched and signed, very, very rare and nice. The Ted Lapidus has a bespoke label, numbered like the way YSL couture is done - if anyone has ever seen that - pretty amazing. But the most amazing part about that is that it fits me! Which happens 1/100 times with a thrifted jacket. Staple blue twill SC, nice lapels, 2B/1V, and 26.25" sleeves :slayer:

Real, from here.

1 person likes this.
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Sounds like you had a good day.

Slightly offbase question: Can the waist on jeans be taken in, like trousers? As I look at them, it looks like no. But I wondered if the denim heads knew any better.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Nice, but lose the tee, G! Then pls join SCULPTED BEARD TEAM '13, rule over sucka mc's. :slayer:

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

it can, although might not be worth it

15. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

If they're a good fit for you, yes. Otherwise I think that the fly tag is only from the 90's RRL, and the cuts from then are pretty dad jean-ish. They are selvedge but not very desirable/flippable. The ones I've seen from then don't always have the rear patch so it could be more recent. The newer jeans have tons of print on the inside of the pocket bags and will usually say something along the lines of "made in the USA of the finest japan woven selvedge". The guys over on the RRL thread will know a lot more though.

1 person likes this.
  16. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yes, it could be done but most tailor don't like to do it. I would give them multiple work as an incentive.

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, dude. I'm pretty sure my tailor has a picture of me on her wall with the caption "Retirement Plan." I'd planned to ask her this week anyway, but figured I'd get the inside scoop first.

1 person likes this.
  18. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Ive yet to find a tailor I can completely trust. Half assed work wherever I go. Its unfortunate because they would make a fortune.

19. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Anyone know who makes Peter Millar pants? They are current, as I purchased them in Marshall's while in Vegas. They are made in Italy. Thanks boys.

20. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

My tailor is more than 80years old. his work...............[​IMG]

Previous tailor made wedding dresses, her work was good also, she made a 42R into a 38R. perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.