• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the stuff I found today...

Dale of Norway Torino 2006 Olympics quarter-zip sweater. Really nicely made and fits well, but I'm not sure about keeping it

J Press Donegal Mist Tweed... Fits perfectly so I'm thinking of keeping

Very tradly Chipp navy flannel blazer. Fits like a slim 42R (too slim for me) so available

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ looks like salt marks from wearing them in snow/etc. and then it dried.

Good idea but it seems to be inherent to the fabric and does want to come off. It's integral to the fabric, almost appearing to be a thickening of the weave and not really a breakdown of the fabric.

Oh well, will probably just list AS IS. If someone's got a short inseam this might not be an issue with hemming or cuffing.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not gonna happen.

:plain:

I was momentarily tempted to break it out of storage and thrift fit it tomorrow. But I teach class and, when you add linen after labor day, even I'm not bold enough to break that many sartorial rules.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Very tradly Chipp navy flannel blazer. Fits like a slim 42R (too slim for me) so available

Too long in the sleeves for you too, perchance?

After getting stuck in traffic and mailing off a bunch of stuff, I made it to my local with only about 15 minutes to spare. Tore through the store and found a couple of things:

Armani Collezioni black loungewear? pants. These feel like they're made from a velvet-y like synthetic material, so I'm posting the interior tag. Can anyone tell me if they're fake? They have a one snap, one button enclosure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Left behind some pleated Canali pants, a Canali shirt with collar wear and an Etro shirt that had a crest on it, because I'd never seen one like that before.

Then, just as I was about to leave, I spotted these. Can anyone help ID?

Cap toe...

Bench made in England, not much sole wear...

Handwriting on the inside...

"Joseph Cheaney" written on it for some reason...

And ideas?

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Good idea but it seems to be inherent to the fabric and does want to come off. It's integral to the fabric, almost appearing to be a thickening of the weave and not really a breakdown of the fabric.
Oh well, will probably just list AS IS. If someone's got a short inseam this might not be an issue with hemming or cuffing.

It sure looks like salt damage to me. I've got that on a pair of my jeans... comes from wearing them cuffed and walking around on salted sidewalks in the winter.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too long in the sleeves for you too, perchance?

After getting stuck in traffic and mailing off a bunch of stuff, I made it to my local with only about 15 minutes to spare. Tore through the store and found a couple of things:

Armani Collezioni black loungewear? pants. These feel like they're made from a velvet-y like synthetic material, so I'm posting the interior tag. Can anyone tell me if they're fake? They have a one snap, one button enclosure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Left behind some pleated Canali pants, a Canali shirt with collar wear and an Etro shirt that had a crest on it, because I'd never seen one like that before.

Then, just as I was about to leave, I spotted these. Can anyone help ID?

Cap toe...

Bench made in England, not much sole wear...

Handwriting on the inside...

"Joseph Cheaney" written on it for some reason...

And ideas?

Not too long in the sleeve, but not surgeon's cuffs, so could be let out.

I'm not sure if you're serious on the shoes.... They're Cheaney Renoir. What size? Is that 13 at the end the size?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

ALSO
Looking for a bit of help. Found these buttons on a HF Super 140's blazer. Any idea what the imprint is of? Just genuinely interested.
buttons.jpg

It's a reproduction of a 1/4 Florin coin - the abbreviations going around are for the titles of the Emperor of Austria, he was the illustrious king (ill rex) of Hungary, Bohemia, Lombardy and (et) Venice. Not sure what territories GAL and LOD stand for - either they were more minor territories or just names that I haven't encountered as much as the others.

Correct, though I can only assume it's reproduction. The other side would have the face of Franz Joseph I. GAL and LOD are Galizien and Lodomerian (Galacia and Lodomeria), present day Poland/Ukraine. The Austrian empire lost most of Italy soon after these were made, the final bit was lost after WWI. They still speak German in South Tyrol and had to actually move Italians from southern Italy into the territory to integrate them into the country.

/history lesson

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Not too long in the sleeve, but not surgeon's cuffs, so could be let out.

I'm not sure if you're serious on the shoes.... They're Cheaney Renoir. What size? Is that 13 at the end the size?

Heh, no I was just being an asshole. It is a 13, which I guess makes these a 14. And yet they feel like they fit, or maybe I just want them to.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Did a reverse orphan pair-up today that hopefully someone at the shop will appreciate. Sick sick Corneliani suit, super 150s - Sooo nice feeling. Navy with a thin alternating blue / gray pin stripe. Then I saw the torn lining in the coat and the small hole on the fly of the pants. So close.

Also, thrifters been ravenous today, **** got real. I really think this shop should stop announcing it every time a new rack is about to be rolled out. Six of us rolled up on a rack at the same time, and it was hilarious, everyone grabbing at things and checking tags. A feeding frenzy. Best of all none of us ended up taking anything from it. Apparently one woman was pushed out of the way, and was complaining to the management (must have missed that while reading the rack).

Did manage to harvest a little corn-

Corneliani 1/4 zip sweater. No clue what it's made of (content/size tags are gone) but it might be unicorn. It's that soft. Approximate measures - p2p 23, length 28ish, sleeve 34. Would prefer to see it land with one of you guys, being nearly tagless it'll be a difficult sell on the bay.

So I see some dress boots on a newly rolled out cart, and I grab one to investigate (ended up being for the ladies). As I'm looking over it, a ****** strolls up to the cart, see's the boot mate and says here's the other one. I put the one I had back saying not my thing, and she starts looking at them. Then she says do you think they're unisex? To which I answered "If the shoe fits"...
rimshot.gif

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Also DM - Call me next time, I've got the seats taken out of the back and have tons of room right now. Don't want to risk ******* up any of "the precious".

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so a question and a lesson today. First, the question....

If ANYONE can help me with this label, it's just driving me crazy. Many things about it scream made by Corneliani, but it's also a bit...off. It's driving me nuts, I just can't figure it out. Details in spoiler.

Alright, so here's the overcoat. Really nice, seems very well made. Pick stitching all along the lapels and up and down the jacket in case you can't see. The belt buckle appears to be made of real leather, and the overcoat itself is a 50% alpaca/50% wool blend. So, I saw this....

...and along with the quality, got excited: looks like Corneliani to me. But, looked at the breast label and saw this...

Which is *close* to the Corneliani label, but not quite it. Then, this is the only other label on the coat:

puzzled.gif
. Which just left me more confused. I know that this is wishful thinking, but is it at all possible this was made by Corneliani for this men's shop, or is it just a simple case of really nice/well made jacket with coincidentally very similar labels? I've included the labels from a Corneliani-branded SC of mine below for comparison. Any help appreciated.

And now the lesson: So, there are a series of shops I like to hit up on the discount day (today) that are quite a drive for me, but are really good deals so I make the drive and check them out. For 3 discount days in a row now, I've noticed the same lady hovering around in the men's suits/SCs, and have noticed she's obviously flipping. That's cool and fine by me (aside from the fact that given my current state of affairs it would be pretty hypocritical for me to care, I really don't mind people flipping. It bums me out when someone picks up stuff I want for myself, but beyond that, it doesn't bother me a bit). So I walked into one of my last spots and, predictably, she's there. Deflated, I try to hit the last few suits & SCs on the rack quickly but come up with nothing. Seeing that she already has a bunch of stuff in her cart, I decide it's a waste of time to check what's left in her wake and turn to leave. I figure, what the hell and find this smiling back at me a few items from the front...

RLPL for Chester Barrie 100% silk 6/2 DB suit. Side vented, button fly pants.

The lesson: don't assume that people have any idea what they're doing, even if they seem like they do.

Other stuff:

Prada casual slip-ons

Brioni 6/2 DB glenplaid w/checks suit. Pretty old & some serious staining on the pants (which I'm going to try a new method on), but I couldn't bring myself to leave Brioni.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads