• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Reaction score

Why do u think that's recent? That style looks way dated.

I'm going with the "anything with the following label is old":

My label is a little more recent.

I agree with the 3 btn style is passe. However, I think tall dudes can pull it off. More than 3 buttons and you are in the NBA player/Magic johnson realm:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found my first pair of Incotex!
biggrin.gif
Not my size.
ffffuuuu.gif

Also found a pretty sweet cashmere sweater from Neiman Marcus. Don't know if it's super valuable, but they seem to sell well on eBay, which is enough for me.

And a couple of knit ties. Brooks, Talbott, and this purple one that has no text, just a strip of purple fabric on the back. Any idea of the maker? (not that it matters much, as I intend to keep... unless it's ridiculously valuable...)

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a bit of a drought right now but I did find something interesting.

Most of you have probably haven't seen a pair of seal skin boots. They have silver/grey translucent 1/2" fur all over. I've worn some in -40 and they keep your feet are toasty. These were hugely popular in Canada in the 1960s and 1970s.

These were $9.99. If anyone wants to run a PETA gauntlet, get at me. They're about an 8.

file-110.jpg

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a bit of a drought right now but I did find something interesting.
Most of you have probably haven't seen a pair of seal skin boots. They have silver/grey translucent 1/2" fur all over. I've worn some in -40 and they keep your feet are toasty. These were hugely popular in Canada in the 1960s and 1970s.
These were $9.99. If anyone wants to run a PETA gauntlet, get at me. They're about an 8.
file-110.jpg

woah! i've totally been looking for a pair of shoes like that for when we go out clubbing!!!

:smarmy:

Last edited:

bytor13

Reaction score
Giovanni by Domenico Vacca suit (Available) Measures about a 44R/L. Does anyone know more about this? I've heard of Vacca before, but was unsure of this "line". From what I can tell it's just MTM. Can anyone confirm or add?

P2P - 23
Waist - 21
Sleeves - 27
Shoulders - 20.25
BOC - 33
3-btn,1/2 canvassed, side vents, pick-stitching galore
Pants - 36x33.5 (FF, cuff)

T&A light blue/pink striped OCBD (Available) Measures about 15.5x36

P2P - 23
Sleeves - 26.5
Shoulders - 18
Length - 32.5
MOP buttons

Washington Tremlett shirt (Not Available) - Never heard of them before. Apparently bespoke. Really odd & small snap cuffs, though. I'll have to add some buttons.

T&A (Not Available)

LL Bean Made in England Blackwatch wool slippers (Not Available)

PRL POW w/ faint purple overcheck 31x26.5 (Available - BRIAN?). Not sure of the maker, as the tag's shredded and I can't find the country of manufacture.

Burberry London brown mini-gingham SZ M (Available) - Sadly, too a little too slim for me.

P2P - 20.5
Sleeves - 25.75
Shoulders - 17
Length - 28.75
MOP buttons

Last edited:

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Another question: Alfred Dunhill, I know it is a very highly esteemed brand, but is it something that I could easily move? I ran into a chunky cable-knit cardigan with these interesting metal toggles by Dunhill today, made in italy. I already had things I wanted more and had reached the limit I had set for myself for thrifting today, but I'm really questioning whether it was wise to pass up on it. If anyone is interested, I have the pictures of it, and I can go back and get it (it would be available/for sale, its size M). I really need to increase my repertoire of thrifting knowledge its holding me back haha, but reading this thread is murderously addicting and long. First world problems....

Last edited:

bytor13

Reaction score
Another question: Alfred Dunhill, I know it is a very highly esteemed brand, but is it something that I could easily move? I ran into a chunky cable-knit cardigan with these interesting metal toggles by Dunhill today, made in italy. I already had things I wanted more and had reached the limit I had set for myself for thrifting today, but I'm really questioning whether it was wise to pass up on it. If anyone is interested, I have the pictures of it, and I can go back and get it (it would be available/for sale, its size M). I really need to increase my repertoire of thrifting knowledge its holding me back haha, but reading this thread is murderously addicting and long. First world problems....
I'd say it's a grab as long as it's in good condition and wasn't too expensive. eBay completed's weren't much help, though. Maybe someone's eBay/Google-FU is much stronger, however. What color & condition was it in? I'd certainly be interested.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Come on man, You just said Hermes overcoat like it was nothing
crackup[1].gif

Congrats

California, where modesty goes to die, but not before having children named Jade(d) and Blase(e).

Edit: I just looked at your auctions and you have an amazing lighting setup....looks a lot like what wowniceshirt uses. Any tips for someone who is a novice and has zero lighting/backdrop equipment?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just saw on my facebook feed that a pair of louboutins were pulled nearby :fu: Best men's shoes I've seen were those Hanovers a few pages back.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are real.

And spectacular.
That's right , folks, and STILL undisputed champion of authentication FAIL: GMMcL!

this rack ... to display their ties, .

Hate these effing things. Nice tie tho.

I agree with the 3 btn style is passe.

I remember thinking at the time how aesthetically pleasing all the ratios were, though. The jacket quarters, the shirt, the tie, the lapels.... Now they look so off. Someday, thats how today's ticket pocket/dual vent/flat front will look. *sigh*

this purple one that has no text, just a strip of purple fabric on the back.  Any idea of the maker?  

Check "Blank Label". I bought a few well made shirts of theirs a few weeks back.

Picked some stuff up earlier today, . . .
Overcoat:
Hermes

True story: I was reading on my BB and could not see avatars. I got to here, and said "gotta be DM7." HFS, dude.

Another question: Alfred Dunhill, . . .but is it something that I could easily move?

Yes. You could move them here.
Next question?

Edit:  I just looked at your auctions and you have an amazing lighting setup....looks a lot like what wowniceshirt uses.  Any tips for someone who is a novice and has zero lighting/backdrop equipment?

+1. Lighting/whitebalance are my nemeses.

Oh yeah, while exchanging the fake True Religions for a bike, I also grabbed a pink Gitman. Pearly buttons, twill weave, tagged 15/33, but measures closer to 15.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads