• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali

Surcingle belt. I'm unfamiliar with the maker, any info appreciated. And these are flags representing what exactly? Boating clubs?

Leatherman LTD is a local maker (to me) in Essex, CT. They make trad-y belts and are pretty cheap at retail (< $40). I always grab them though, I am sucker for that stuff!

rayxlui

Reaction score
Some of the better finds from the past week.

Isaia trousers and Robert Geller flight pants.

2 x Billy Reid shirts. One is NWT.

Willis and Geiger chinos

Canali suit. Suoer 120's.

Most were actually from consignment, but consignment is sometimes cheaper than thrifts here.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym

Frenchy was Valium who had been banned. When we realized this, we banned him again.

Actually it is believed that Frenchytoo was Valium who had been banned who was Frenchy who had been banned. So they re-banned him over again.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this a full suit or just a coat?

Just a sportcoat. I'm assuming I was right to not look for pants, as it doesn't look like an orphan. The cashmere makes it super-soft, but it was made in Israel
mad.gif

At least that means it's pretty recent, yes?

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up today:

It is dual vented and has all the bells and whistles: Ticket pocket, throat latch (removable), flat front with watch pocket. The tweed is flawless--no signs of moths--and super thick. I suspected it was Harris Tweed when I first picked it up, but no--still, it's a fabric that would stop bullets. A button hole needs to be re-stitched and it is missing a button on one sleeve, both easy fixes, and it's a brand that doesn't get much love. The worst flaw, however, are the piss stains on the cotton lining--as bad as I've seen. But I couldn't leave it behind. Not sure what to do with it. If it fit, I'd spring for new lining in a heart beat. Not sure that makes sense for flipping. Advice appreciated.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ties I picked up on my last few trips. If any questions of the authenticity please let me know as these are my firsts of each designer.

From L to R: John Varvatos; RRL; Canali; Canali

Close-ups:

Some other stuff (unavailble):

Tie carousel with compartment for accessories and blank name-plate

Surcingle belt. I'm unfamiliar with the maker, any info appreciated. And these are flags representing what exactly? Boating clubs?

Old Benrus military watch, my new favorite. Needs new strap but works fine.
Leather Man surcingle... Pretty well known and common... Made in Essex CT. right?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Willis and Geiger chinos

Most were actually from consignment, but consignment is sometimes cheaper than thrifts here.
What size are the Canali suit and Isaia trousers?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up today:

It is dual vented and has all the bells and whistles: Ticket pocket, throat latch (removable), flat front with watch pocket. The tweed is flawless--no signs of moths--and super thick. I suspected it was Harris Tweed when I first picked it up, but no--still, it's a fabric that would stop bullets. A button hole needs to be re-stitched and it is missing a button on one sleeve, both easy fixes, and it's a brand that doesn't get much love. The worst flaw, however, are the piss stains on the cotton lining--as bad as I've seen. But I couldn't leave it behind. Not sure what to do with it. If it fit, I'd spring for new lining in a heart beat. Not sure that makes sense for flipping. Advice appreciated.

Measurements?
drool.gif

Canvassed or fused?

Also, what's with the creepy clown head?
crazy.gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Measurements? :drool:
Canvassed or fused?

Also, what's with the creepy clown head? :crazy:

Not very good at the pinch test, but it feels canvassed. It's roughly a 41R. Clown head is a self portrait.

DeadBoy

Reaction score

Willis and Geiger chinos

Nice haul! Especially liking those Geller pants and the blue BR shirt. All for you?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard people talk about Value Village/Savers and I just read about them on Wikipedia. Can anyone tell me if they're worthwhile? Do they know their brands and do good things exist at decent prices?

^^ Feel free to let me know if this type of info is top secret :D

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard people talk about Value Village/Savers and I just read about them on Wikipedia. Can anyone tell me if they're worthwhile? Do they know their brands and do good things exist at decent prices?
^^ Feel free to let me know if this type of info is top secret
biggrin.gif

depends on the location, but yes, i regularly find things in the super cheap -> moderately high priced range in the 8-10 savers in a 100 mile radius that I have visited.

they are QUITE large though, so be prepared for a ton of garbage to sift through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads