Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

If you mean Bachrachs, I'm pretty sure that's just a store name in this case. I have a coat a few posts earlier with the Cesarini tag, but it has a B Formans tag in place of Bachrachs (BF was a Rochester clothing store—I don't know if they had locations anywhere else.). In my case, it's a Harris Tweed. Is there any sign of a missing tag above the pocket/Bachrachs tag? That's where my Harris Tweed label is.

I find it interesting that two items with that style of throat closure should show up so close together. I've looked through a bunch of HT images, and yours is the only other one I've found with that style.

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I was half expecting pictures. :eek:
    Thank you, THANK YOU for not including.
    Though I'm sure the treatment will handle this, especially if' it's just on cotton.

Edit:
    PS Wear a mask (or hold your breath) when you do it though. I once got spruce sap on some cotton pants. I did the treatment on it and when I worked oxy into the sap patch with a toothbrush I picked up the pleasant scent of spruce as it broke down.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

3. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Generally higher priced than GW/SA in everything. My local is generally $8-10 for any shirt regardless of brand, although occasionally Boss or random stuff like Ferragamo shirts will be more. Prices vary wildly for suits and sport coats... I've gotten a Corneliani suit for $20, Zegna Couture SC for $15 and Canali SC for $10, but I've seen prices go as high as $100 for some designers, and at one store - which I will never return to - the starting price for ANY suit was $40. I go because my local gets good stuff regularly and is rarely picked over.

But yeah, they're much bigger than most other stores. On the one hand it's good... more inventory, more space to spread out. On the other hand... so much Van Heusen.

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks for the info! I'm curious to see what they're like. Ours are so small that it might be a nice change of pace. I was in a 7 or 8 stores in Vienna and suits started at €70. It was insane what they were asking for used and outdated clothes.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - Robert Geller in the wild?? :slayer:

Other finds are excellent too! Wishing those BR shirts were a size larger.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

6. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Ok, I apologize in advance for.not posting.pics.of anything these past 4 days or so, but my friend has.no camera. BUT my first rlpl. today.... if it was your first, what would you want? How about a.suit, made by st. Andrews, that is side vented, has a ticket pocket, and is 100% CASHMERE!!! Also, do you guys know.anything about. moods of Norway? Snagged a suit. Semi dibbed.

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I'm not sure if someone already answered this part, but I believe the flags are international coding flags - each of them has a meaning. (ie. the blue and white checkered one means "N" or "November" or "No" / "Negative" or "Abandonment and Re-sail" (Sailing Regatta) depending on the context.) http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/flags/flags.shtml

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! This is a grail find in any book if you ask me. Can't wait to see pics when you get the chance. Moods of Norway is a edgier/fashion-forward label. Never seen anything from them in person, only heard the name. Can't comment on quality, but I'd assume it'd be on par with United Colors of Benetton/Sisley as the pricing seems to be about the same.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

As if.

[​IMG]

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]

11. catside

catside Senior member

Frenchy was trying really hard here. He may behave differently outside the thrift forum but he very rarely got into his rather impulsive tirades here. I am a thrifter. That is my hobby. I don't care as much about clothes. Frenchy added a lot to this thread. He originally was banned for some anti-semitic words. It is truly unacceptable. However, he did not repeat that. He had a problem with manoflint but frankly manoflint is such a ..., oh well.
    What I am saying is why would anyone get banned for life. When there is a valuable member with rehabilitation potential, however impulsive he is/was. This is America. We do believe in second chances.
    I am afraid eventually a time will come that thrifters will have to move out to an independent forum.

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Well, I added my two cents in the mod thread (which I've quoted below), and may very well be banned for it. And even if I'm not, I'm done visiting this site on principle alone.

With all that said, I have very much enjoyed posting here for the last year. I have seriously learned an immense amount about clothing and all kinds of other cool stuff that I previously knew nothing about, just from posting and browsing in this thread...and I've had a great time shooting the shit with some of the incredibly cool posters here. I'll probably resume posting a bit over at AAAC under the same username (AndroFan), so feel free to hit me up there if anyone wants to contact me going forward, or if I owe you any residual trading karma.

If someone could do me a favor and quote me in case I'm banned so that peeps can contact me through alternate routes, it'd be much appreciated.

Keep it real dudes, and keep reeling in the big fish.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Come here, kid. Ive got some candy for you. :devil:

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A message from Frenchy : His Swan Song - ​

(edited among several emails)
    the boys are no doubt wondering what happened this time,if you could pass this along would be good....
    ..anyway im done with the site tell everybody there will be no comeback,i wish you luck with the new site and the boys in the hunt.
    oh well what are you gonna do,shit happens.
    bad timing too as a i just found a all Campagnolo ROSSIN bike yesterday (the Hermes of bike parts).
    you could post that as my swan song,just to give the guys hope that these things are still out there:

[​IMG]

anyway, talk soon,im off theres carts to be kicked in them aisles today.

[​IMG]

15. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Excuse the cellphone pic - I forgot all about this guy. I had been invited to an ugly sweater party years ago, and my friend and I headed to the GW closest to his house.

He ended up with a women's sweater that looked like the throw covering the couch on Roseanne. This is what I came up with from the racks...
    [​IMG]
    Of course, the party was cancelled, and I never got to unleash this on the masses. Ugly sweater parties seem to be holiday based (the one I was invited to was in December). What holiday would you say this sweater celebrates? I still don't know what the designer must have been on to come up with this piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.