• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Oh what the hell, I'll send it overnight for no extra fee.

You'll get extra props in the feedback thread for that. Well deserved
fing02[1].gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAMN.
Id give you $50.00, we need to have a thrift exchange on here.
Hot find Moo.
I scored a tasteful RT 7 fold for 24.99 at Nordies Rack tonight and stocked up again (2nd time) on the $5.95 OTC RT socks.
I couldnt resist after the hyper expensive valentines day dinner.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
It's an Acurus acd-11. I'm sure true high-enders would scoff at it, but it's a definite step up from the various Sony ES players I've been using.

rnoldh, I think the Duke did visit SF from time to time, but I have yet to find any tangible evidence. SF was then both more and less provincial.
Who made the GHWB jacket? I recall him being a big J. Press fan (don't think he would have harbored, say, an inner Chipp).

You would be correct. And to make it even better it's one of those summer camp type "this belongs to" tags and not his name on the J Press tag. I really think he is a humble preppy guy. This was a long time ago and I'll try to find the coat.

These days I suspect he might wear Oxxford like his son, but I think he really is a genuine type of guy and might be sticking with J Press till the end.

I was kidding about The Duke of Windsor, of course. But I wonder if he ever donated anything to his servants or to charity that ended up at a thrift shop. That would be a holy grail find for a curatorial thrifter ( and even for a reseller that realized what he had! ), I seem to recall some used items on Ebay that had belonged to Royalty but nothing of the Duke's.

I believe much of his wardrobe was sold at a major auction at Sotheby's or Christie's. LK might know.

Keep up with those fabulous finds. It's really interesting to see the amazing things you come up with. It must be good karma for all those years you left behind fabulous items that didn't fit you.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twenty vintage silk pockets squares from an antiques/collectables stall on the local market (2 are solids, but the rest are patterned), condition varies from the very good to apparantly never used. I was happy paying £20 for the lot.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I seem to recall some used items on Ebay that had belonged to Royalty but nothing of the Duke's.

I believe much of his wardrobe was sold at a major auction at Sotheby's or Christie's. LK might know.

It was in the late 90s. A little of her stuff (much had gone to the Costume Collection of the Met) and a lot of his.

Also books and things from the house, and servants' uniforms.

It was originally scheduled for a date just after the death of Princess Diana, then pushed back about half a year.

According to DNR, the bosses of Brioni and Kiton were dukin' it out for some of his stuff:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n14978571

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Trenton NJ - while I was there i hit up the red, white, and blue thrift store in Hamilton - after about 30 minutes of sifting I came away with two gorgeous and seemingly brand new shirts -

Paris Custom Shirts in a nice traditional slim blue stripes
Geneva Custom Shirt in a light lavender check - I've never had a shirt with purple before but figure this will be an good way to ease myself in.

Both have MOP buttons, both are flawless (except for the stapleholes for the pricetag through the collar - savages working at these stores I tell you.)

Total = $14

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Got a small Prada bag for $1.99 at GW. But I am not sure about the authenticity, what do you think?

I think that bag is a gift with purchase.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni black captoes in size 13 - too big for me, but likely headed to ebay. Decent condition.
Paul Stuart navy flannel blazer.
Battistoni navy cotton trousers.
Corneliani dark green cotton trousers.
Holland & Holland shirt.
Boosey & Hawkes clarinet. Anyone play/interested?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a Crosby Hallen & Cobb suit - cotton windowpane with functioning buttonhole cuffs, brand new with tags - yesterday for $161. It's a very casual suit, but the details on it are awesome.

DrArmstrong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
Just got back from Trenton NJ - while I was there i hit up the red, white, and blue thrift store in Hamilton - after about 30 minutes of sifting I came away with two gorgeous and seemingly brand new shirts -

Paris Custom Shirts in a nice traditional slim blue stripes
Geneva Custom Shirt in a light lavender check - I've never had a shirt with purple before but figure this will be an good way to ease myself in.
_.png

Both have MOP buttons, both are flawless (except for the stapleholes for the pricetag through the collar - savages working at these stores I tell you.)

Total = $14

Its like all the good deals are upnorth.

emptym

Reaction score
Got a nice vintage, dark blue-gray, cashmere sweater vest by Ballantyne and a Bergdorf cashmere crew at the Goodwill $2 sale this weekend.
Originally Posted by pejsek
..This fall I ran into a near motherload of five current model Brioni suits....
Were they 38 S and at the Salvation Army on Geary? I saw several of them there in the fall. Bought one and posted the rest here. Didn't fit right, so I gave it to a friend. I would love a tutorial from you and maybe to join forces. I only buy stuff I think I'd wear and leave behind so much good stuff. It's tough to leave it though, and would be happy to pass stuff on to you, especially if you'd occasionally throw me a 39 R, 33 pants, or 9.5-10 shoes!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads