The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Great finds, guys. Great job on putting that Oxxford together, 83glt.

Doc, I think I'm going to grab some white Levi's sometime soon.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

we need to have a thrift exchange on here

I think this is a great idea.

A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size.

Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.

3. creampiggy

creampiggy Senior member

I think this is a great idea.

A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size.

Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.

Great idea!

I have got some nice shoes in size 12D and a few sport coats from size US 44 to 50 that I don't know how to deal with. I will post picture if such a thread appears.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think this is a great idea. A thrift exachange area in BS would be perfect for many of us that find great stuff thats not in our size. Rather than flipping it, an exchange marketplace would give everyone the opportunity to aggregate the thrift store finds into the community and benefit us all.
    Yup, I too think this is a good idea. I've found a lot of stuff in 44-48 sizes that I sometimes leave behind. Passing the good deals on is a good idea.

5. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Great idea!

I have got some nice shoes in size 12D and a few sport coats from size US 44 to 50 that I don't know how to deal with. I will post picture if such a thread appears.

Yup, I too think this is a good idea. I've found a lot of stuff in 44-48 sizes that I sometimes leave behind. Passing the good deals on is a good idea.

I"m 48L [​IMG]

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

are they in your size? if not, what size and willing to sell?

Strangely enough, they are both my size. [​IMG]

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Should we talk to the admins about this? I see no reason that this wont work?

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why don't you just list the stuff in B&S at the price you paid + shipping? Same thing without the need for another forum to check.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Why don't you just list the stuff in B&S at the price you paid + shipping? Same thing without the need for another forum to check.

I think the idea was to create a no or minimal cash offset trading forum... I view BS for those who choose to thrift and flip for $$.

11. DocHolliday

I think the idea was to create a no or minimal cash offset trading forum... I view BS for those who choose to thrift and flip for $$.

But how often are two people going to be able to work out a trade? If I have a 44R coat, what are the odds some 44R will have found a 38R coat (or other item in my size) I find appealing enough to do a direct swap? I'd guess very low.

The Trad thrift thread over at Andy's seems to have settled on offering stuff at relatively low prices.

12. randallr

randallr Senior member

But how often are two people going to be able to work out a trade? If I have a 44R coat, what are the odds some 44R will have found a 38R coat (or other item in my size) I find appealing enough to do a direct swap? I'd guess very low.

The Trad thrift thread over at Andy's seems to have settled on offering stuff at relatively low prices.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing Doc. BTW, what is the marshall's near you? I may call them and see if they will ship.

13. DocHolliday

Don't remote order the white denim -- many of the Levi's have slight defects. The pair I picked up had a little indigo on 'em, so I brought 'em home and bleached it out. But other pairs have weave issues, etc. you'll want to stay away from.

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If memory serves, VMan (I think) started a barter thread, probably in the old Buying & Selling. A search would probably turn it up. The problem that Doc raises is the issue. Barter is great when it works, but money was invented for when it doesn't.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1

That and I think that this would be cool for just us thrift-hounds. Anyone who's not into thrifts will probably see the word "thrift" and pass it over. The B/S forum is filled with so many lurkers as it is something priced cheaply will be gone in a split second.

I'm not sure about you, but I do buy some things too good to pass up (Brioni, Oxxford, Isaia....) and hang onto them in the case someone will want it. I think there are a couple other guys on here who do the same thing. We can also use it as a lookout page, where we post our size and if someone finds what we're looking for, they post it up. There are only a handful of us who frequent this thread (20 members maybe), so it shouldn't be too hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.