• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Actually I STOLE this pic from google. :embar:
Cool!
I've been looking for the perfect one for awhile now too, check my sig. I've found a couple, but nothing worth holding onto.

I'll keep an eye out. I come across duffles every once in awhile, but honestly eBays' your best bet. I grabbed this one for $15 and change. Most don't know what they're holding when they sell them and Lodenfrey (and the other major German/Austrian makers) make them to last, so a 20 year old coat will still hold up.

I do find mountains of traditional Austrian loden jackets which are almost always green (the traditional color). Most can be overcoats or worn casually. They are made really well and often in Austria (especially look out for Tyrol or Salzburg). I can often get them for next to nothing at flea markets. I have one now with hangtags NOS in my closet. If you're ever in the market for something similar, let me know.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prompted by that rad black watch blazer that was posted a little while ago, I decided to stop being lazy and take my pair to the tailors. Here's the before pic, after thrift fit pic on Tuesday.

Also, since it's been awhile, here's a thrift fit I've been rocking today,

Vintage 70's Munsingwear Grandslam, thrifted
Dockers D1 Slim that I had to make even slimmer, thrifted
Calvin Klein chocolate suede desert boots (Wah Waaah) thrifted
DKNY crono, Ebay
Sharpie, not thrifted

Beck

Reaction score
Just another thrift day in the land of 10,000 lakes. :

The Andover Shop seems to make some really great clothing. Sadly they are all 15 1/2 34". Too small :/..Does anyone know much about them? (All Available)

The most recent Corneliani Blazer 3 button side vent, I have ever found; (Available)size 44L.

Also, a rare find for me. A super nice BREUER Striped Tie. (Available)

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Prompted by that rad black watch blazer that was posted a little while ago, I decided to stop being lazy and take my pair to the tailors. Here's the before pic, after thrift fit pic on Tuesday.

Also, since it's been awhile, here's a thrift fit I've been rocking today,
Vintage 70's Munsingwear Grandslam, thrifted
Dockers D1 Slim that I had to make even slimmer, thrifted
Calvin Klein chocolate suede desert boots (Wah Waaah) thrifted
DKNY crono, Ebay
Sharpie, not thrifted

Nice on the blackwatch. I need more reasons to wear blackwatch trousers, holiday parties aren't enough. I have a pair that's hopeless to alter. Well made BB made in the US, but I could probably wear two adult diapers underneath and no one would know, they're that loose/baggy. I'm going to pick a pair up this winter. I did just thrift a Burberry's NOS blackwatch blazer. It fits and I was thrilled.

I let these go and now I sort of regret it. In all honesty, I would probably only wear them once a year, but I doubt I'll find them again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...K:MEDWX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1171

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Andover Shop seems to make some really great clothing. Sadly they are all 15 1/2 34". Too small :/..Does anyone know much about them? (All Available)

The most recent Corneliani Blazer 3 button side vent, I have ever found; (Available)size 44L.

The Andover Shop is a trad store, like J.Press/O'Connells/Eljo's, they make clothes for Phillips Andover Academy (Harvard of High Schools) and also have a location in Harvard Square. They also clothed Miles Davis. Good stuff, the main guy in the Cambridge store is a piece of work.

Beck

Reaction score
The Andover Shop is a trad store, like J.Press/O'Connells/Eljo's, they make clothes for Phillips Andover Academy (Harvard of High Schools) and also have a location in Harvard Square. They also clothed Miles Davis. Good stuff, the main guy in the Cambridge store is a piece of work.

Thank you for the knowledge! Wow.. I had no idea. Maybe that explains the vintage J.Press sitting on the rack for $45.. Hope to find a good home for the 3. I don't care if I make much on them; it pains me when I see a well made garment not get properly treated :/ ..Yes I feel bad for clothing.
colgate.gif

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out "Ask Andy About Clothes" Trad Forum, offer them up for $28 shipped, they will sell like hotcakes and make some crusty old man happy.

Or PnutPug aka 32RollandRock :)

Beck

Reaction score
Haha very cool thank you for the insight!

Also, picked up this Paul Stuart the other day, single vented, 2 button(42R) . Another great find of the day! Just would never wear it.

Measurements:

Chest: 22" Across.

Shoulders: 19" Across.

Sleeves: 24" w/ 1/2" to let out.

TOC: 32" Long

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out "Ask Andy About Clothes" Trad Forum, offer them up for $28 shipped, they will sell like hotcakes and make some crusty old man happy.

Or PnutPug aka 32RollandRock :)

Concealed speaks the truth--assuming those have no flaws, $15 apiece would be on the low end, AS being fairly tough to come by. If it were me, I'd offer them at $25 per, with discount if someone buys the lot. There are some great buyers over there who know their stuff. If those were 15.5x32, I could set you up with someone in Nova Scotia, but only for the point collars.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Andover Shop seems to make some really great clothing. Sadly they are all  15 1/2 34". Too small :/..Does anyone know much about them? (All Available)

The Andover Shop is awesome! That's my size, but I'm sure those are baggy as hell and I have enough shirts as is.

Being in VA I run into Eljo's frequently. Some of my favorite/tradiest ties are Eljo's. Still regret passing up on a fully canvassed green Eljo's Harris Tweed SC.

Last edited:

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm about 5'10" which would put me at completely average. Maybe it won't be that difficult to find second hand clubs then. As a beginner, what prices should I be looking at for a complete set? I realize it's all relative, but I don't need something crazy nice.

You can buy standard issue clubs off the rack with zero need for adjustments. If I were you I'd hit up Craig's List, especially since you're in the Bay Area. There should be a ****-ton of golf gear up there.

These are nice options and should last you a long time, and you can always negotiate prices:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo/3018960957.html - Nice Iron Set $320
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3018737675.html - Complete set of woods for <$200

Or you can go with a one-shot transaction like this. Bag, Putter, Irons, Metals, and Lob Wedge for <$600 is a damn good deal for quality equipment.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo/2977779488.html

Good luck!

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same thing applies, if you find Eljo's stuff hit me up if its a shirt 16 or 16.5 or 42R jacket. If any other size, bring it to AAAC. not trying to pimp that other forum, I just think they would appreciate more than the fine folks on here!

Beck

Reaction score
Concealed speaks the truth--assuming those have no flaws, $15 apiece would be on the low end, AS being fairly tough to come by. If it were me, I'd offer them at $25 per, with discount if someone buys the lot. There are some great buyers over there who know their stuff. If those were 15.5x32, I could set you up with someone in Nova Scotia, but only for the point collars.

The shirts are flawless, it looks as though a rich man wore them each once (if that) and dropped them at the cleaners and never went back for them. Buying them at $8 a piece I would probably feel best doing $25 per shirt or the whole lot for $70 Shipped. Really just looking to just get enough to gas up the car to fuel more of my thrifting obsession >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads