• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Art!

Nice finds, HanserHund.

For now, I'll have to sate my desire to find an earth-shattering piece of art with mere pop pieces.

I picked up this guy because a) I hadn't purchased anything from a thrift in a few days b) it's pretty sweet, and I like it for some odd reason and c) it looked like it was worth a bit more than the $2.10 I paid, with tax.

But I have no idea what it is. Maybe I'll flip it to a set designer for an '80s movie.

I like that and the price doesn't feel too bad, either.

I tend to pick up things that I like and especially if it has a signature or number. Most frames aren't too worthwhile, so if I don't have a place to store it I'll take it out of the frame.

I don't mean to turn this into an art thread, but thought I'd share a few of my finds. Sorry about the weird angles, I took them quickly. Some of these came from flea markets as well...

Typical still life watercolor fruit that has been reframed and hangs in our kitchen...

Botanicals that I reframed and hang in our entrance hall. If anyone likes vintage/antique botanicals, let me know because I find them on a fairly regular basis.

These are original prints from 1930. They were stored well with an entire collection by an old man and the colors are very crisp. I chose 3 from the stack, but the guy gave me his number in case I wanted all of them. I'm tempted. The problem is that there is a hole in most, as I believe they were kept in a binder.

I would never hang these, but I thought there was some value in owning them. They're original 19th century lithographs from a famous Frenchman. I believe a couple of similar lithographs by this artist hang in the national galleries of France.

I've always loved globes and maps and own a lot of them. My earliest is a map of our region in Austria from 1656. This globe is unique in that it was produced by a German company during the war. Most globemakers produced a new globe every 4-5 years, but Hitler demanded a new globe more often so during this time they're marked with a month and year. This one shows many areas that Germany claimed to still own/control but in reality had never controlled or had been pushed back. They even have their colonies listed in Africa which they had given up years before. Austria is not featured as it was considered a part of the German Reich.
URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1695248/width/350/height/467]
[/URL]

I also collect glass...the large glass bottles (around 2 feet tall) that are used in wine and schnapps production. These are about 150 years old:
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1695251/width/350/height/263

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I used to live in Chicago, we had an old sofa we didn't want anymore. We found someplace that agreed to come and pick it up and made arrangements to come the next afternoon. So this girl shows up, about 22 years old, 120 pounds. She didn't have anyone with her, and didn't have a truck either. What she had was a mountain bike with a trailer attached to it. So we loaded up this 15 foot sectional into her cart and she pedaled off down the street with this thing behind her. I hate to think of how much traffic she held up going down Clark in rush hour.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

When I used to live in Chicago, we had an old sofa we didn't want anymore. We found someplace that agreed to come and pick it up and made arrangements to come the next afternoon. So this girl shows up, about 22 years old, 120 pounds. She didn't have anyone with her, and didn't have a truck either. What she had was a mountain bike with a trailer attached to it. So we loaded up this 15 foot sectional into her cart and she pedaled off down the street with this thing behind her. I hate to think of how much traffic she held up going down Clark in rush hour.

...and the following year, that girl won the bronze medal for the East Germans in the 1988 olympics. Upon receiving her medal, she cracked a walnut between her legs. True story.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that and the price doesn't feel too bad, either.
I tend to pick up things that I like and especially if it has a signature or number. Most frames aren't too worthwhile, so if I don't have a place to store it I'll take it out of the frame.
I don't mean to turn this into an art thread, but thought I'd share a few of my finds. Sorry about the weird angles, I took them quickly. Some of these came from flea markets as well...
Typical still life watercolor fruit that has been reframed and hangs in our kitchen...

My wife is a huge fan of maps. Something framed and vintage covering Freiburg or the Black Forest region would be something I'd pay many dollars for.

Any ideas on the signature of my piece? I can't read it at all.

wcl

Reaction score
Hit one of my honey holes today...... :slayer:
sale_015.jpg

sale_014.jpg

My first Tom Ford!! No pants to be found, but I am sure it will flip just fine.

Also....Faconnable, VV, Marinella, Unknown braces and bow.
sale_016.jpg

And new Santoni Loafers....
sale_017.jpg

Modest, I know next to DM7's haulage, but fine with me. :D Everything is headed for the bay, as I am officially unemployed at the moment. :fu:

Last edited:

jcb9

Reaction score
Lunch thrift. Picked up a navy BB silk-linen-wool sportscoat made in Italy.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's sad with golf clubs is you can go to Dicks or Sports Authority and buy last years "it" driver for $100. They change over so quickly.
I got mine at

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/

They make "replicas" of the big name clubs and sell them much cheaper. I don't play much so I just wanted a cheap but decent complete set.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pair of made-in-USA JBL 4800 three-way speakers for $25 at SA. Unfortunately, couldn't test them because SA doesn't have an amp for sale today (arghh). Could grab an amp from the crib and go back, but would be a hassle, seeing as my car's in the shop, which would mean riding the scooter down to the wife's law firm and grabbing her car (can't carry an amp on the bike).

Is it worth it? How much better might these be than my Technics 12-inch woofer three-ways? Anyone know? They do look awfully nice...

Plus side, scored a pair of Alden bluchers with flawless uppers and thick soles. My second pair of Aldens found in the wild. They fit on the bike.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and the following year, that girl won the bronze medal for the East Germans in the 1988 olympics. Upon receiving her medal, she cracked a walnut between her legs. True story.

Hahahaha, nice. I actually find myself going a lot faster than traffic most of the time, as I'm able to bob and weave through it. :D

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As exciting as this sounds initially, I am old enough to remember how East German female athletes looked like!! :spew:
- Katherina Witt excepted of course -

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Found a pair of made-in-USA JBL 4800 three-way speakers for $25 at SA. Unfortunately, couldn't test them because SA doesn't have an amp for sale today (arghh). Could grab an amp from the crib and go back, but would be a hassle, seeing as my car's in the shop, which would mean riding the scooter down to the wife's law firm and grabbing her car (can't carry an amp on the bike).
Is it worth it? How much better might these be than my Technics 12-inch woofer three-ways? Anyone know? They do look awfully nice...
Plus side, scored a pair of Alden bluchers with flawless uppers and thick soles. My second pair of Aldens found in the wild. They fit on the bike.

This thread isn't full of great info, but they all happily paid more than that for their 4800:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=364958

And looking through completed listings, the raw drivers and crossovers alone sold for over $50, so I'd say it's worth picking up as long as everything works.

I haven't auditioned this specific pair of JBLs, but I have found a lot of 3 and 4 way Technics in thrift stores, and never been very impressed with any of them. I'd pick them up, as they are likely an upgrade from what you have right now, and, if not, they'll be an easy flip. But around here, anything JBL or Infinity (the most recognizable brands) are picked up as soon as they're put on the sales floor, so they might be gone already.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst part about PCNW is the rain. The second worst part is the bicyclists. I am afraid I am going to accidentally murk one these non-rule following F***ers with my car and be haunted for the rest of my by my memories of said event.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 5'10" which would put me at completely average. Maybe it won't be that difficult to find second hand clubs then. As a beginner, what prices should I be looking at for a complete set? I realize it's all relative, but I don't need something crazy nice.
It depends on your height really, how tall are you?
This is true in many cases. One thing I always do is look for the sales where you get a deal on the Driver and 3 Metal bundle. Sometimes it's buy a Driver and get the fairway metal for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads