The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GHo

GHo Senior member

Crap - I'm guilty of having "stolen" pictures in the past. If I buy something and it doesn't fit, I'll just reuse the pictures in my listing if they are decent enough.

I didn't realize it was that big of a deal. I've probably done it a couple times. :embar:

2. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I don't mind if someone I sold an item to reuses my pictures in an attempt to resell an item that didn't work out for them. The couple of times that happened, the person PM'ed me and politely asked my permission before they even listed their items. That kind of thing isn't what really concerns me. It's the wholesale hi-jacking of pictures and descriptions that I find gross. It's just lazy and rude.

Last edited: May 16, 2012

3. GHo

GHo Senior member

I've seen some of those clothes in these parts. Is that someone on SF?

And to clarify, I don't outright copy anyone else's style or even description, but I will snag a photo or two if need be. :lol:

4. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

*Alert! The following contains many golf terms which can be cross referenced as penile vernacular. All such occurrences are strictly coincidental. End Alert*

I've been golfing for many years, and will impart some quick tips for you:

1 - Of paramount importance is getting a set of clubs set up for your height. You might have to get your clubs with lengthened or shortened shafts based on this. Shaft stiffness is very important as well. Depending on how fast your natural swing is dictates the best flex for your clubs. If you swing faster than the stiffness of the shaft, you'll slice it all day long. If you swing slower than the flex, you can pull it or hook it.

2 - Go get lessons from someone reputable. I went from low 90's to low 80's in three lessons. This lady knew her shit, played on the LPGA tour, and had a Masters in sports psych. It made a huge difference.

3 - As a beginner, get cavity-back irons. These are much easier to hit due to increased forgiveness of mis-hits (which as a beginner you'll have a lot of these). These have a hollowed out back, instead of being solid all the way (which are called muscle backs).

4 - Get a higher lofted driver. The higher the club loft, the easier it is to hit straight. Anything 10 degrees and above for your driver is good. Any 3 metal should work fine.

5 - Wedges should consist of a 52 (Gap Wedge), 56 (Sand Wedge), and 60 (Lob Wedge) degree variety. This will cover damn near every scenario inside 100 yards.

6 - Putters for me are purely confidence related. It's more based on the player than the putter so get anything that feels natural in your hands.

7 - Don't worry about getting expensive golf balls. At a beginner level you won't be spinning the ball back or checking a chip shot anyway. You'll most likely lose a lot of them early on anyway :) Save the money and spend it on those lessons.

Golf is one of the greatest sports because you can go anywhere in the world and play it, it's 4-5 hours with friends on some the best scenic spots, and you can play it until you're dead.

Wow, I didn't mean for this to turn into a dissertation.

5. troika

troika Senior member

I'm so glad someone brought this up, thanks for the wealth of info IrateCustomer. I've been looking to get into golf and have been looking at used/vintage clubs on ebay. I guess I'll just have to go get measured and buy new.

Is it possible to go get measured and then buy a used set that fits or is there too much variation making it difficult to find one in your size?

6. amadar

amadar Senior member

To put this question to rest, yes, I am the bonehead whose auctions those are. :uhoh: It never was my intention to outright copy his template, but it seems the changes I tried to make didn't materialize into anything substantially different. Lazy? Yes. Douche-y? Most likely. It was not done maliciously - just without thought - and I do feel :embar: Spoo is a stand up guy and he and I have discussed and worked it out. Carry on.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I might add...that when I began years ago...I found that I only really needed to buy one ball. The rest were found in the woods just right of the first tee box...and more the the right of every tee box for the next 30 rounds or so. LOL

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Throw into the list of cool / fair to trade dudes:

Cotton Dockers
    LooknGr8
    capnwes
    bytor13
    pnutpug
    Typhoid Jones
    MattR
    mat135ta

If I missed any great homies, pm and kick my ass ;)

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Quick lunch thrift today...almost nothing...except these.
    Keepin' it alive.
    They have some sort of coating on them which gives them that polarized look.
    [​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

and let's not forget the OP Mexicutioner. I have not yet transacted with him, but it's only a matter of time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's good to see Mex's avatar back also.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

What's sad with golf clubs is you can go to Dicks or Sports Authority and buy last years "it" driver for $100. They change over so quickly.

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

:fence::fence::fence:

I challenge you to an internets golf duel. Although a measure of a golfer's ability isn't necessarily reflected by whats in their bag - I'm gaming a RBZ Tour TP Driver (Matrix HD shaft), RBZ Tour TP 3 Wood (Diamana Kai'li shaft), RBZ Tour TP Hybrid w/ Aldila RIP Alpha shaft, Taylormade MC irons (just switched from my old Cleveland CG1's, and a pair of older Vokey wedges.

Glad to see there is another golfer on the thread, I wasn't sure there was anyone else out there :cheers:

13. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Has anyone ever thrifted Tulsa, OK? Also, whats the furthest you've driven to go on a thrift binge? (I'm looking for substantial distances here so I dont feel quite so nuts... :)

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Probably doesn't count cuz we didn't drive, but we went to Billings MT last fall for a week. We spent 2 of the days in Yellowstone. The rest of the time, while my wife was out with her friend, I went to all of the thrift stores several times. I ended up with 4 oversized boxes of stuff, mostly shoes and cameras. I spent about $160 shipping them back to PA, but made enough on the stuff to pay for the entire trip and then some. You are nuts...but you are just like the rest of us....we are all nuts on this thread.

If it helps. I put in about 175 miles a week just for my usual thrifting excursions.

15. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

It depends on your height really, how tall are you?

This is true in many cases. One thing I always do is look for the sales where you get a deal on the Driver and 3 Metal bundle. Sometimes it's buy a Driver and get the fairway metal for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.