Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

I've also see photos stolen from a few of the big sellers. Whenever I see someone else's photo being used, I usually shoot the store an email with a link to the stolen photo. I never know if they give permission, so I let them report it if they care. I've gotten a few emails back from sellers saying they had it taken down within 24 hours. I even saw a seller steal a photo and put their store's watermark on it one time. Crazy.

A big thanks to Spoo for helping me out with some information. It's incredible how much he can tell you about a 20 year old pair of pants made on another continent just by seeing some shitty iPhone pictures.

Unreal. Some of that stuff is pretty out there, but it has to be a lot of fun to see all of those labels in one room. Congrats on your find, from wherever it came!

2. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior Member

according to google maps, the lady and my weekend thrift/antique treasure hunting journey a couple months ago was 244 miles each way.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

I picked up the pants I posted yesterday. The woman working nervously asked me if they were for me. I hesitated for a split second and told her that no, I won't be wearing them. I'm pretty sure she thought I was lying. Anyway, as ugly as they are, it's pretty amazing how close they matched the material. The slightest details line up on the back pockets. They're unhemmed, but I'm not sure if that is on purpose? What's also weird is that the colors look brand new, but the tag looks used. Well, I managed to get her to take a bit off the price, so I'll be satisfied as long as I break even.

As Spoo said, the rise is a FUPA-inducing 10" or so, so it's possible that you may chafe your nipples wearing them all evening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also swung by a place and picked up a pair of very clean Tod's. A few wrinkles across the toes, but no wear to the insole or bottom. Maybe a floor model?

[​IMG]

This is the artwork I picked up yesterday. It was cheap enough to buy and both are hand-signed. The sailboat looks pretty amateurish, but has the name Rosenkranz 19/7/30. I'm assuming he was Jewish and it was before the annexation of Austria into Germany. What made it interesting was that next to the stamp of the framing shop on the back, there is a handwritten note that says Privateigentum: Arlić (Private property: Arlić), which is not an Austrian nor Jewish name. I'd like to find out more.

[​IMG]

The second piece was a miniature (4cm x 4cm) watercolor of a tree. I can't read the artists signature, but it says 115/250. I'd like to find more of them, so I might go down to the closest gallerie and see what they say about it.

[​IMG]

I passed on a silk front wool back scarf. It didn't have a price but they read the tag and decided it should be a bit expensive. It was really well made, so I might go back for it. I hadn't heard of the brand... Ai Shi?

4. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior Member

Thanks Capnwes and ilikethelights, im going! I'll report back on Tulsa, its only 2 hours away, but im slightly apprehensive it might not be as good as where I am in Arkansas simply because of the concentration of wealth here. Also, I know someone from this thread just moved out of Dallas not long ago, if anyone remembers who, id like to PM him for a few spots when I head there in the next few weeks.

5. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

My Motto: You never know 'til you go, then you still never know.

Last edited: May 16, 2012

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

:spew:

7. eazye

eazye Distinguished Member

Is it crazy that I hit up 10-15 stores spread out over Chicago on my bike?

8. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

Art!

Nice finds, HanserHund.

For now, I'll have to sate my desire to find an earth-shattering piece of art with mere pop pieces.

I picked up this guy because a) I hadn't purchased anything from a thrift in a few days b) it's pretty sweet, and I like it for some odd reason and c) it looked like it was worth a bit more than the $2.10 I paid, with tax.

But I have no idea what it is. Maybe I'll flip it to a set designer for an '80s movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012

9. capnwes

Bicycle or Motorcycle?

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Distinguished Member

hey brahs -- i know many of you are on the lookout for summer gear. here's an Orvis madras shirt, tagged L. available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. eazye

Mountain bike, Cannondale Chase to be precise.

12. capnwes

Well it beats sitting in traffic I guess. Do you pull a trailer or something or just tie all of those shoe strings together and hang them from the handlebars.

Oh yeah...Yes you are crazy, but probably in considerably better shape than I.

13. ChetB

ChetB Distinguished Member

That's awesome. How many miles do you think you cover? It would be great to cut down on gas expenses.

14. eazye

Speaking of which, today's haul, nothing much, just a couple odds and ends.
    [​IMG]
    Been had Filson. Available. Large.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another tie holder, I think I'll be set for awhile.....maybe...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL
    PRL madras, small!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Another madras with the maker tag cut out.
    [​IMG]
    Picker this up for another SF member.
    [​IMG]
    A really sick oil tanned belt by Brighton, which I'm wearing now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Great Gatsby, haven't read that one in awhile, another addition to my Time Life wild west series of books, which have amazing photographs in them and a couple albums. I don't usually go for the complatlation albums, but there are some gems on these I didn't have yet.
    [​IMG]

15. eazye

I actually just carry my old Lowe backpack. However, if I end up finding a ton of shit, I've been known to buy another backpack on the spot and just re-donate after I'm done with it. It does keep me in great shape, on any given day I cover about 30-40 miles. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I also really enjoy riding through heavy traffic. I used to do some pretty serious downhill mountain biking, but since moving to a large (re: FLAT) city, I dodge cars instead of trees. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.