• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't usually sell Gucci shoes
But when I do, they go for amazing amounts of money.
Acosby has not replied to my PM yet, can someone please go to his house to check on him?

Congratulations to both of you. Acosby, when your regain consciousness, can you remind us of how much you paid for them / where / circumstances? I feel like I just witnessed a great moment in this thread's history. :slayer:

As for my epic haul last weekend, I traded the Lobbs to a brother on this thread (and look forward to showing you what I received someday soon). And $399 for the Bontonis via eBay.

But nothing... nothing.... compares to what you two pulled off today. And the cool thing is that I bet the buyer is thrilled, as well. :)

AHS

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week, I had some boner offer me 1/5th of an asking price for an item. I shot him a reasonable counteroffer. This guy waits two days and then sends me an offer for 1/8th of my asking price. come on bro.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
That was pretty unnecessary, IMO. If this is for BIN stuff, just tick the "automatically reject offers below $xxx" and set that number at what you'd consider "insultingly low", and you'll never have to see the offers. If he's contacting you via message with the **** offers, simply ignore them. I mean, you're obviously within your rights, but I'm not above selling to anyone willing to buy, and even if the offer is **** now, one day on another item, it may not be so I usually do my best to avoid burning bridges.

I am not sure if this was the case for him, but I have similar contact on items without a best offer option. This includes both auction style and BIN....

I mean yeah, I have too. I've had dudes offer me basically nothing for auction style stuff, but like I said, I just ignore them. I rationalize that if I have it auction style or without an OBO, then that's the case for a reason, and they'll get the picture when the auction ends without a reply.

^^^ I would have ignored him if he didn't ask me why he wasn't able to bid on my auctions. I didn't go out of my way to be rude to the guy, but there has already been some previous back and forth (all professional in tone) re: the specific issue why I chose to block him over a year ago. I'm not angry or upset with him either - I'm just of the position that I do not want to do business with someone who does not seem to appreciate the value of the items I take the time and energy to find and prepare for sale. He wanted to know why and I politely told him why.

@ Andro: I agree with you 100% re: burning bridges. You make perfect business sense and I've never been the kind of guy to cut my nose to spite my face. But again, I didn't shut him down after only one (or a few) lowball offers. There were multiple lowball offers (and like I told him, some were insultingly low) over the course of two years. All of which I responded to and politely declined while maintaining my appreciation of his interest. However, it just got to the point where enough was enough.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Either way, I know that all of you on here know what I'm talkin' about.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score

I don't usually sell Gucci shoes
But when I do, they go for amazing amounts of money.
Acosby has not replied to my PM yet, can someone please go to his house to check on him?

Just made myself a stiff drink to deal with the unbelievable stock dividend that just landed in my lap.

:fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump:

Came here to brag, but it appears that everyone was already bragging for me (us). Thanks to Spoo for his clientele and countless thanks for his effortless handling of the receipt, repair, and listing of the shoes as well as dealing with any number of discerning customers asking specific details about them. These were a once in a lifetime find and are among the highest value sale pair of shoes in the past month on eBay, certainly the first or second highest priced used pair of shoes. I don't know what makes people covet certain brands and eras of brands over others, but I am thankful for their taste! I sorta knew what I had when I picked these up, but had no idea this would be the outcome. The dude with the Lobbs needs to send them to Spoo, no question about it. After this, I definitely have some other stuff that I would like to consign with him. The photos he takes and brand equity he has with his online persona are unparalleled. Thanks bro, you killed it.

:fistbump: :fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump::fistbump:

For the record, y'all, I paid $10 for these and had them repaired for a total of ~$210, the cost of which Spoo and I split. After the final value fee, my take will be over $900. DM7, top that ****.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still going through previous few weeks inventory. Santoni captoes. Not available, dibbed by a trading partner already.

Oh! and the no spring shoetrees that is found with it. It's an interesting screwed contraption.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For the record, y'all, I paid $10 for these and had them repaired for a total of ~$210, the cost of which Spoo and I split. After the final value fee, my take will be over $900. DM7, top that ****.

This is the best part of all of that, but thanks man!

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
This is the best part of all of that, but thanks man!
Now I know what you mean when you once said "One find at a thrift store started this whole ball of wax". What was that find, exactly and how long did it take to get enough momentum to have a sustainable income? I don't see Gucci croc loafers falling from the sky here in Denver, but the amount of uber high end stuff that I find every couple weeks gives me hope that it could happen again.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Now I know what you mean when you once said "One find at a thrift store started this whole ball of wax".  What was that find, exactly and how long did it take to get enough momentum to have a sustainable income?  I don't see Gucci croc loafers falling from the sky here in Denver, but the amount of uber high end stuff that I find every couple weeks gives me hope that it could happen again.

Its true, that damn Emporio Armani jacket started it all. :) You never know where life takes you, and when one day can change your life.

Today could have been your day.

madmacs

Reaction score

Its true, that damn Emporio Armani jacket started it all. :) You never know where life takes you, and when one day can change your life.
Today could have been your day.

so you're saying I should have picked up that armani jacket I left on the rack in the SA next to a hickey freeman? Was a little put out that one of the better GW's I go through seemed to be picked over... still found a nice robert graham shirt (has mini's must be an omen for an expat) and an italian bobby jones polo... of course store before yeilded a coupke of silk polo ralph lauren shirts... never seem to find polo ties though... or so I thought til yesterday... went to a little thrift store that I wouldnt expect to find anything at... 2 polo ties (claim hand made)... brooks brothers... sulka... brioni... a rotating tie rack... and 3 tie clips (about time I found some)... left 2 or 3 stephano ricci ties on the rack and a set of douney and bourke braces... i'm guessing I should have picked them up... maybe tomorrow...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'm telling you what you already know, but the one on the left looks like a tie made specifically for the Toulouse-Lautrec Museum in France. http://www.museetoulouselautrec.net/
Sort of like running into those ties made for The Metroplitan Museum of Art, although the one you found is probably higher quality.

Yeah I found the Museum. The quality is decent as well.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

went to a little thrift store that I wouldnt expect to find anything at... 2 polo ties (claim hand made)... brooks brothers... sulka... brioni... a rotating tie rack... and 3 tie clips (about time I found some)... left 2 or 3 stephano ricci ties on the rack and a set of douney and bourke braces... i'm guessing I should have picked them up... maybe tomorrow...

Definitely grab the Riccis and the braces. Just going by labels and no pics, I would have left the Polo and BB ties and grabbed the Ricci ties.

Yeah? I wear a 34 waist, love most Polo cuts. Id roll the dice on alterations on 32's. Can you still kop/proxy/whatever?

On related news, I may have nailed one of the best scores ever for my store. Ill try and get pics and what nots later after, but highlights include (all NWT of course)
Valextra messenger briefcase
4 Isaia suits
6 Isaia SC's
2 Zegna SC's
5 Drakes ties
1 Drakes Scarf
Lobbs
Lidfort Norgovese
E. Tautz woolen ties
BBBF woolen bowties
Tom Ford ties
Zegna cashmere ties
Kiton pocket squares
I forgot the rest :slayer:

I'll be heading back tomorrow. Another member has dibs on the Corneliani ones, but the others are still up for grabs if they're still there. Oh, and that is one mind-blowing haul, Spoo! :slayer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads