Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Tried posting about these a few times yesterday... Posts never appeared(though my post count went up).

Went to the same shop where I found the shoes in my intro post, and found these... Research says these are Crockett & Jones correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My eyes got huge when I saw them, as they hadn't been there the day before and were approximately the style I'd like to find for myself. Then I saw the price on the bottom of the sole... Seemed like they could have a new life after a refurb in the right hands but since they aren't my size, I passed. Figured I'd see what you guys thought about them. The price is nuts for the condition right?

On the other hand, I also found these there, and they just happened to fit like a glove... Hoping they're legit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came here to ask and the post didn't work, so I ended up going back the next morning and they were still available so I grabbed them. Got them home, tree'd / cleaned them up and they're looking 10x better. Supple calfskin goodness, real or not, pretty stoked with them.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

3. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Tried posting about these a few times yesterday... Posts never appeared(though my post count went up).

Went to the same shop where I found the shoes in my intro post, and found these... Research says these are Crockett & Jones correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My eyes got huge when I saw them, as they hadn't been there the day before and were approximately the style I'd like to find for myself. Then I saw the price on the bottom of the sole... Seemed like they could have a new life after a refurb in the right hands but since they aren't my size, I passed. Figured I'd see what you guys thought about them. The price is nuts for the condition right?

On the other hand, I also found these there, and they just happened to fit like a glove... Hoping they're legit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came here to ask and the post didn't work, so I ended up going back the next morning and they were still available so I grabbed them. Got them home, tree'd / cleaned them up and they're looking 10x better. Supple calfskin goodness, real or not, pretty stoked with them.

4. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Armani does surprisingly well. It's no $2400 Gucci loafers, but this one surprised me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14074642910...OX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_730wt_1415

Oh, and for those who don't have a mannequin yet, I can't believe how much more interest (and bids) I'm getting with better pictures.

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

WOW. "armani collezioni" shirts and suits are really common 'round here. is that different from "le collezioni"? the label on your auction looks just like the stuff i see every time i go thrifting.

Last edited: May 6, 2012

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think "le collezioni" is older... Note that this one is unvented. and solid black. and not as well made as the HF I sell. Boggles the mind.

9. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Didn't get out to do any thrifting this weekend but put some work into the AE Senecas I picked up on Thursday. Wish I could figure out what I did with the before picture but did ok with some originally rough looking shoes:

[​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You watch bro. :)

Not necessarily, I was referring to the story I told of how I started in the business... when I went into a Goodwill, found an EA jacket for +/- $10, sold it for like $50 or something and I was hooked. Thus a monster was born.

Aiight. Cool, KMP. Thanks!

Me too!

Gonna bathe the fucker in Renovateur and make er purrrrty.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:sigh: I love that one.

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Here's a quick Q that I'm still not 100% on re: the BB "Custom Tailored" sport coat I picked up a week or so ago?

Where does Brooks Brothers "Custom Tailored" fall in the BB quality spectrum?

[​IMG]

^ It has the previous owner's name and date of manufacture printed on a tag in one of the inner breast pockets. Single breasted, but with hacking pockets. Weird.

After a trip to the dry cleaners, all I'm left with is it's a lot nicer than a lot of BBGF that I've come across, but it's not BBGF.

• BBGF > BB Hand Tailored > BB Hand Finished > 1818 / Makers / et al? or
    • BB Hand Tailored > BBGF / et al?

Thanks beforehand for any info. on this.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

I said the same thing.

I would wear the shit out of that, are you keeping?

Dude, buy mine, discount for SF members:)

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Correct! Should not boggle the mind though, Armani are a giant brand name, one of the biggest. Even people that know jackshit about clothes know Armani. Its only on Styleforum where anything outside of Armani Black Label is thumbed down (and even then, you will not struggle to find members whom would gracefully or aggressively thumb down Armani's highest line). Out in real world, the Armani brand name is often enough even if the piece in question may be generic garbage.

Dont go overly nuts picking up Le Collezioni. eBay is fluffy and you will have great trouble flipping that stuff here. See it and leave it ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.