• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Tried posting about these a few times yesterday... Posts never appeared(though my post count went up).

Went to the same shop where I found the shoes in my intro post, and found these... Research says these are Crockett & Jones correct?

My eyes got huge when I saw them, as they hadn't been there the day before and were approximately the style I'd like to find for myself. Then I saw the price on the bottom of the sole... Seemed like they could have a new life after a refurb in the right hands but since they aren't my size, I passed. Figured I'd see what you guys thought about them. The price is nuts for the condition right?

On the other hand, I also found these there, and they just happened to fit like a glove... Hoping they're legit.

I came here to ask and the post didn't work, so I ended up going back the next morning and they were still available so I grabbed them. Got them home, tree'd / cleaned them up and they're looking 10x better. Supple calfskin goodness, real or not, pretty stoked with them.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
I would 100% grab the Ricci's and if they are slimmer (under 3.5") send me a PM. Ive found a few that have been slimmer before
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Tried posting about these a few times yesterday... Posts never appeared(though my post count went up).

Went to the same shop where I found the shoes in my intro post, and found these... Research says these are Crockett & Jones correct?

My eyes got huge when I saw them, as they hadn't been there the day before and were approximately the style I'd like to find for myself. Then I saw the price on the bottom of the sole... Seemed like they could have a new life after a refurb in the right hands but since they aren't my size, I passed. Figured I'd see what you guys thought about them. The price is nuts for the condition right?

On the other hand, I also found these there, and they just happened to fit like a glove... Hoping they're legit.

I came here to ask and the post didn't work, so I ended up going back the next morning and they were still available so I grabbed them. Got them home, tree'd / cleaned them up and they're looking 10x better. Supple calfskin goodness, real or not, pretty stoked with them.

Evil Abed

Reaction score

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you're saying I should have picked up that armani jacket I left on the rack in the SA next to a hickey freeman? Was a little put out that one of the better GW's I go through seemed to be picked over... still found a nice robert graham shirt (has mini's must be an omen for an expat) and an italian bobby jones polo... of course store before yeilded a coupke of silk polo ralph lauren shirts... never seem to find polo ties though... or so I thought til yesterday... went to a little thrift store that I wouldnt expect to find anything at... 2 polo ties (claim hand made)... brooks brothers... sulka... brioni... a rotating tie rack... and 3 tie clips (about time I found some)... left 2 or 3 stephano ricci ties on the rack and a set of douney and bourke braces... i'm guessing I should have picked them up... maybe tomorrow...

Armani does surprisingly well. It's no $2400 Gucci loafers, but this one surprised me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14074642910...OX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_730wt_1415

Oh, and for those who don't have a mannequin yet, I can't believe how much more interest (and bids) I'm getting with better pictures.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Armani does surprisingly well. It's no $2400 Gucci loafers, but this one surprised me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14074642910...OX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_730wt_1415

Oh, and for those who don't have a mannequin yet, I can't believe how much more interest (and bids) I'm getting with better pictures. 

WOW. "armani collezioni" shirts and suits are really common 'round here. is that different from "le collezioni"? the label on your auction looks just like the stuff i see every time i go thrifting.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW. "armani collezioni" shirts and suits are really common 'round here. is that different from "le collezioni"? the label on your auction looks just like the stuff i see every time i go thrifting.

I think "le collezioni" is older... Note that this one is unvented. and solid black. and not as well made as the HF I sell. Boggles the mind.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Didn't get out to do any thrifting this weekend but put some work into the AE Senecas I picked up on Thursday. Wish I could figure out what I did with the before picture but did ok with some originally rough looking shoes:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Getting people to bid on this might be even more impressive than getting 2k+ for those shoes...

You watch bro. :)

so you're saying I should have picked up that armani jacket I left on the rack in the SA next to a hickey freeman?

Not necessarily, I was referring to the story I told of how I started in the business... when I went into a Goodwill, found an EA jacket for +/- $10, sold it for like $50 or something and I was hooked. Thus a monster was born.

Another member has dibs on the Corneliani ones, but the others are still up for grabs if they're still there. Oh, and that is one mind-blowing haul, Spoo! :slayer:

Aiight. Cool, KMP. Thanks!

did me a little e-thrifting tonight: 

Me too!

Gonna bathe the ****** in Renovateur and make er purrrrty.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Here's a quick Q that I'm still not 100% on re: the BB "Custom Tailored" sport coat I picked up a week or so ago?

Where does Brooks Brothers "Custom Tailored" fall in the BB quality spectrum?

^ It has the previous owner's name and date of manufacture printed on a tag in one of the inner breast pockets. Single breasted, but with hacking pockets. Weird.

After a trip to the dry cleaners, all I'm left with is it's a lot nicer than a lot of BBGF that I've come across, but it's not BBGF.

• BBGF > BB Hand Tailored > BB Hand Finished > 1818 / Makers / et al? or
  • BB Hand Tailored > BBGF / et al?

Thanks beforehand for any info. on this.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Master, you inspire me. I hope to be like you when I grow up.

I said the same thing.

I have them all end seconds apart, I can't do that... but that does sound fun!
So, I got a pic of that tie. What does the hive think? Theres no maker label.
168633d5.jpg

I would wear the **** out of that, are you keeping?

did me a little e-thrifting tonight: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221013252244#ht_500wt_959 - talbott best of class for 1.99 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140746004783#ht_2408wt_1177 flat front luciano b. trousers 23.50 shipped

Dude, buy mine, discount for SF members:)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think "le collezioni" is older... Note that this one is unvented. and solid black. and not as well made as the HF I sell. Boggles the mind. 

Correct! Should not boggle the mind though, Armani are a giant brand name, one of the biggest. Even people that know jackshit about clothes know Armani. Its only on Styleforum where anything outside of Armani Black Label is thumbed down (and even then, you will not struggle to find members whom would gracefully or aggressively thumb down Armani's highest line). Out in real world, the Armani brand name is often enough even if the piece in question may be generic garbage.

Dont go overly nuts picking up Le Collezioni. eBay is fluffy and you will have great trouble flipping that stuff here. See it and leave it ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads