• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valium

Reaction score
Picked up a Donegal Tweed J.Press Blazer today. First J.Press and it appeared to be a good one so I went ahead and snagged it. 5% Cashmere / 35% Kid Mohair / 60% wool blend.

Tagged 41L and appears to be Unworn. Available

Also, I had been looking for 2 chairs to place in front of my 10' High x 8.5' Wide window in my living room. I am an architect so I will be holding out for some really sexy pieces of MVDR, Corb, Eames, Saarenin furniture to go here in the long run. But for now, these will do.

okay guys,i dont know much but i do know furniture.
what im about to say is in no way bragging,just wanna give some tips.
in the last ten years i estimate to have thrifted about $100000 in vintage furniture ,i actually think the number is closer to $120000 to $150000.
i dont think i spent more then $10K on the lot,now mind you thats over ten years.
thanks to shows like Mad Men mid century stuff is super hot.
those chairs are nothing special above ,here is what to look for.
Teak...if you see a teak chair nine out of ten times its valuable,if it has leather GRAB IT.
if you see a Rosewood chair (the cashmere of wood) dont even think about it,you will know rosewood when you see it,nothing else compares.
rosewood was reserved for high end designer pieces by guys like Arne Vodder,Hans Olsen,Johanes Andersen etc etc.
the extremely high end stuff will often have a branding on it or some kind of stamp,often a circular metal plate as well with DANISH CONTROL written on it.
guys these items can be had for $10-$50 dollars if you are in the right place at the right time.
below i will show you some of my best finds from the last 12 months and the corresponding prices (as well as i can remember)
again im not bragging i just wanna put it out there.

so this is a hans olsen safari chair,note the branding and it actually says hans olsen on it which is unusual,usually the designer isnt mentioned just the manufacturer.
by the way this chair was made in 1953 i think if you can believe it,i bought it for $50 sold for $600,could have benn a grand if the leather was nicer

again a hans Olsen piece,his defining master piece i think.a dining set with the famous three legged chairs.i paid $300,yes in a thrift store but sold it to a dealer for $1400 who sold it for $2000 one day later.mint condition though

a nice danish desk (perfect for typhoid jones who seems to wreck a desk every other week)

sometimes it doesnt have to be wood,i was hoping this was a Milo Boughman but the vinyl gave it away,if this was leather and a Milo $1500 easy.
i still sold this one for $300 and only paid $19.99

another danish chair,sadly with vinyl,if it was leather would have been a jackpot

this another example of a branded chair,this one was rosewood
bought for $9.99 sold for $350

this is a danish made modular unit,you can move the pieces around.the most famous of these is made by CADO and designed by a guy named Poul Cadovius.
these go for around a grand,buy them

another rosewood piece,johanes andersen rosewood coffee table bought for $100 sold for $700

SOLID teak dresser,bought for $29.99 sold for $400

another teak desk for Typhoid

probably my biggest hit besides the hans olsen dining set,but i only paid $19.99 each for the two.
these go for $2000 each,up to $4000 if leather...EACH.
swan chairs by Arne Jacobsen

whew that was exhausting.hope you guys appreciated it,and please stop with the jealousy talk...as you can see i do allright

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
More photo setup demo shots, this time with pants

Flat light or

dramatic light?

Put the pants on with a belt through the front belt loops, around the back of the mannequin

I would pin the back of the jacket to give it a little more shape and not so boxy

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2GXRH.jpg

F____y, HOW DO WE IDENTIFY WOOD!

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
okay guys,i dont know much but i do know furniture.
what im about to say is in no way bragging,just wanna give some tips.
in the last ten years i estimate to have thrifted about $100000 in vintage furniture ,i actually think the number is closer to $120000 to $150000.
i dont think i spent more then $10K on the lot,now mind you thats over ten years.
thanks to shows like Mad Men mid century stuff is super hot.
those chairs are nothing special above ,here is what to look for.
Teak...if you see a teak chair nine out of ten times its valuable,if it has leather GRAB IT.
if you see a Rosewood chair (the cashmere of wood) dont even think about it,you will know rosewood when you see it,nothing else compares.
rosewood was reserved for high end designer pieces by guys like Arne Vodder,Hans Olsen,Johanes Andersen etc etc.
the extremely high end stuff will often have a branding on it or some kind of stamp,often a circular metal plate as well with DANISH CONTROL written on it.
guys these items can be had for $10-$50 dollars if you are in the right place at the right time.
below i will show you some of my best finds from the last 12 months and the corresponding prices (as well as i can remember)
again im not bragging i just wanna put it out there.

so this is a hans olsen safari chair,note the branding and it actually says hans olsen on it which is unusual,usually the designer isnt mentioned just the manufacturer.
by the way this chair was made in 1953 i think if you can believe it,i bought it for $50 sold for $600,could have benn a grand if the leather was nicer

again a hans Olsen piece,his defining master piece i think.a dining set with the famous three legged chairs.i paid $300,yes in a thrift store but sold it to a dealer for $1400 who sold it for $2000 one day later.mint condition though

a nice danish desk (perfect for typhoid jones who seems to wreck a desk every other week)

sometimes it doesnt have to be wood,i was hoping this was a Milo Boughman but the vinyl gave it away,if this was leather and a Milo $1500 easy.
i still sold this one for $300 and only paid $19.99

another danish chair,sadly with vinyl,if it was leather would have been a jackpot

this another example of a branded chair,this one was rosewood
bought for $9.99 sold for $350

this is a danish made modular unit,you can move the pieces around.the most famous of these is made by CADO and designed by a guy named Poul Cadovius.
these go for around a grand,buy them

SOLID teak dresser,bought for $29.99 sold for $400

another teak desk for Typhoid

probably my biggest hit besides the hans olsen dining set,but i only paid $19.99 each for the two.
these go for $2000 each,up to $4000 if leather...EACH.
swan chairs by Arne Jacobsen

whew that was exhausting.hope you guys appreciated it,and please stop with the jealousy talk...as you can see i do allright

Yea - sorry if I mislead anyone with my post. I was just excited and 'braggin' that I could finally put something in my condo. meant to clarify that they were not valium level finds. but I will clean them up and re upholster them and feel just fine with myself. considering the minimal cash outlay on them

Thanks for the post valium - that dresser is really the sex. i remember sitting on one of those swan chairs onceuponatime they have some very strange velvet covering?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

and Dig --- I am trying to convince my wife-to-be that I need the Shepherd's Check. GAME ON hehe :slapfight:

Well good thing I have 2 of them! :devil:

Those swan chairs I WANT THEM (recovered in black alligator)

Lirum

Reaction score
Gant M short sleeve, linen
RL Polo Jeans M Rugby shirt
Gitman Bros Cotton shirt 16 1/2 34
Vito Papolo Broques 10 1/2 (where is this brand? seemed like good construction)

left behind (please call me out if I shouldn't have)
Pendleton blazers
Brooks Brothers 1918 blazer
Zanella shirt
Empra (? looked nice, sounded italian)
Two Demetre sweaters, one looked vintage
Brooks Brothers Wool sweater

oh, and a couple of days ago I picked up a new pair of Mephisto Sherpa's. wore them for the first time today, awesome shoe.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Gant M short sleeve, linen
RL Polo Jeans M Rugby shirt
Gitman Bros Cotton shirt 16 1/2 34
Vito Papolo Broques 10 1/2 (where is this brand? seemed like good construction)

left behind (please call me out if I shouldn't have)
Pendleton blazers
Brooks Brothers 1918 blazer
Zanella shirt
Empra (? looked nice, sounded italian)
Two Demetre sweaters, one looked vintage
Brooks Brothers Wool sweater

oh, and a couple of days ago I picked up a new pair of Mephisto Sherpa's. wore them for the first time today, awesome shoe.

1918 blazer is rare... so would have picked it up
nest.gif

I joke, I'm guessing you meant 1818 and depending on the size, color, condition and how much, thats a pretty easy flip. 1818 stuff is newer. What cut was it?

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
Yea - sorry if I mislead anyone with my post. I was just excited and 'braggin' that I could finally put something in my condo. meant to clarify that they were not valium level finds. but I will clean them up and re upholster them and feel just fine with myself. considering the minimal cash outlay on them

Thanks for the post valium - that dresser is really the sex. i remember sitting on one of those swan chairs onceuponatime they have some very strange velvet covering?

no i didnt mean to crap on your chairs,that came out wrong.
the velvet covering...some moron covered them back in the seventies probably to match his shag carpet.
but i knew Johanes andersen would never do that to a chair,so i bough them and sure enough underneath was mint black fabric..i was hoping for leather but still happy

PS they are not that comfortable

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
find me a grail chair that is. aside from this http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-lounge-ottoman-vicenza.do

eh - even that is just run of the mill stuff in comparison. but all through architecture school my friends and I lusted over these. and for some reason these chairs have become the poster child for overly inflated retail price.
no i didnt mean to crap on your chairs,that came out wrong.
the velvet covering...some moron covered them back in the seventies probably to match his shag carpet.
but i knew Johanes andersen would never do that to a chair,so i bough them and sure enough underneath was mint black fabric..i was hoping for leather but still happy

PS they are not that comfortable

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zanella? You mean Zegna? :laugh:

Really nice. Light khaki/stone color. Recent label. Flat front. Made by Incotex. 7" Inseam.

Hah, my bad! I think the inseam is too short for me though :(

You need to get him on here... and start him on trading

Hmmm my brother lives there....
(P.S. I have not send your package yet, but it is up to four shirts now :laugh: )

:cheers: Sounds cool. Anything you want by any chance? I have a huge load of stuff, palmed a whole bunch of shirts and jackets to Andro for the hell of it, looking to thin the whole herd before I start thrifting again.

I could really use some gray wool (three/four season) pants :D

35-38 waist, 31-34 inseam (or room to get there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics