The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

The above referenced fine post fails to fully convey the experience many of us require to be able to discern authenticity with any degree of certainty.

Please take one of the best examples from your selection, place it in a tie box suitable for shipping and send it out to make the rounds of all here who express a desire to become more familiar with this experience. I will graciously offer myself up as the first recipient and will repackage and pass it along to the next regular poster at my earliest convenience. In fact, a quick check of my calendar indicates that I should be reasonably close to a US post office sometime in the late Twenties or early Thirties of the current century.

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

That's hilarious because it rings so true.

I find that most folks who say they don't like the Stones tend to be of the younger persuasion and so have had their ears/minds polluted with post Emotional Rescue crap. That aside, your playlist points to what I think your issue might be: You have an instant-gratification complex. There are two reasons that good music is good: It is either complex and so stands up to listening again and again and again because there is always something new to hear (think Trout Mask Replica or Zappa's catalog), and/or, it is no-bullshit honest, which can range from I'll Be Your Mirror to Lithium. Your list has too much calculated stuff on it--Peter Gabriel, Gaga, U2. That shit was made by folks who sat down and said, hmm, I think I'm going to make something that will sell a bazillion copies and make me rich, and to do that, you have to come up with something simplistic, something that grabs folks right away, gets played to death and is gone in six weeks to make room for the next crop of schlop. In short, it gets old and boring real fast because it was never intended to have a shelf life.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

You forget how Peter Gabriel confounds Patrick Bateman. :laugh:

NEGREP!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Eighty bux for a NWT Bobby Jones polo? I leave his stuff hanging on the racks of every Goodwill in a 50 mile radius! Am I missing something?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Damn IRS.

Got a RL in my sig for a cold 20 bucks. :spam:

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

To be honest, I'm not sure this advice applies to a brand like evisu. It doesn't seem like they market themselves to denim heads who appreciate the qualities you mentioned. Yes, these jeans are absolutely terrible and disgusting in every way.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Hey, it's Spoo... I'm sure he can just send us EACH one [​IMG]

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks all you 6'2" 180lbs guys for all the responses on the measurements. Unfortumately, the fellow didn't end up buying the jacket. On the bright side I know 5 of you who it may very well fit.

Another question, not thrifting telated before I show my finds of the day. Can a 10C shoe be stretched to fit a 10.5D foot? Can it be done, and is it bad for the shoe? Is it typically for width stretching only or can you gain a half size in length too?

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If I wanted to hear all of your opinions on pop rock, I'd be reading a music thread...

I did find a couple of Anne Murray records at Goodwill for $.99 each. Anyone want those? I hear she's awesome...

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I've never been a huge Stones fan as far as getting into detail on each album, but the couple times I saw them they put on a heck of show.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer: Also love Saucerful of Secrets and the More soundtrack. Never got into them after DSOTM.
    Owch! :( Found a few cool items today: - Black Florshiem Imperial wingtip v-cleats. (avaliable. will get size tomorrow). - NWOT Simon Miller slim gray jeans - Super recent Talbott BOC red/blue medallions tie. - Super recent Saks black tonal stripe 3 btn suit. Side vented. Flat front trousers. Zegna trofeo cloth. 44 R. Gorgeous pick stitching. (available) Couple other items that escape me at the moment.

13. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Made in Italy Bobby Jones is good stuff. I picked up a Made in Italy 100% cashmere sport coat about a month ago. It was in amazing shape and beautifully unstructured. Had the original tag in the pocket - $1350. I'm sure I could have sold it for 3-4x what I paid, but I just gave it to my dad because it's his size. He loves telling me all the compliments he gets wearing it, so that alone is worth the potential profit.

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I am a Stones diehard, saw them live on Steel WHeels in 1988. Muthaf*cka I am old. Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls are my faves, with Let IT Bleed right up there. I love how Mick decided to ape Tina Turner and that became the whole act and it's so simple...but so great.

All right, I've been a little busy. As in, solo road trip NH-Ohio for a reunion of us middle aged farts back at college Thurs-Mon. Couple thousand miles of pavement to pound, and stopped at thrifts where it made sense and there was time: Manchester, CT; Danbury, CT; Punxatawney, PA on the way there. Ebensburg and Altoona, PA on the way back, as well as Brookfield, West Hartford and Newington CT. And a quick return to Manchester.

On this thread it's all about the pix, and here's the Hot Rocks, er greatest hits, some for brag, others for conversation/comment:

Tie stash #1

[​IMG]

Tie stash #2

[​IMG]

It's an unseasonable 92 degrees today so naturally I found a great BB coat for next fall and winter. The zip-in lining is ski-parka-thick quilted nylon. Spoiler shows the other liner left for when the quilting's zipped out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, a killer sweater

[​IMG]

Oh, my alpaca fetish...
    [​IMG]

I have too many shirts so I am getting pickier and pickier. Orvis and Missoni, though, could not pass up at half-price day at one SA.

[​IMG]

Sweet herringbone jacket with pick stitching and surgeon cuffs. It's about a 40R but too long for my short arms and unalterable because of the cuffs. Trade anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a similar aquascutum jacket whose arms were magically perfect, that I actually wore to my reunion (got a Thin Red Line blue striped shirt with french cuffs...natch stopped at a mom and pop jewelry store in Groundhogville and bought some MOP vintage estate-sale cufflinks to round out the outfit -- sorry forgot to shoot those)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll stop after this...do you guys kop or leave Stuart McGuire shoes? I've read some posts -- not a lot to go on, it seems? -- on AAAC and here and the response to this brand is all over the map, I think they were good for a time, sort of Executive Imperial level and then they got outsourced to some very bad factories internationally. These seemed really nice so I kopped first, googled later. Do you guys see them/buy them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

All right, the old rawk critic in me has been poked with a couple sharp sticks: On U2...I really enjoy them, a lot. Can't defend them, whoever calls them inconsistent lightweights is probably correct. For some odd reason, I dig them. Mea Culpa. Loved Achtung and Zooropa.

Pink Floyd, however, I feel is mostly overwrought palaver. Nataku is on to something though: Earlier stuff is more interesting until Syd left and it became a giant circle jerk until Waters couldn't even stand himself anymore.

I also feel that when PEter Green left Fleetwood Mac, they stunk thereafter, too, and few people in the USA even KNOW they existed before Buckingham-Nicks era. Engage (heh) :stirpot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.