• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...To summarize, ancient madder, TRUE ancient madder pieces have a very distinct hand to them - a very chalky and unmistakable feel.

The above referenced fine post fails to fully convey the experience many of us require to be able to discern authenticity with any degree of certainty.

Please take one of the best examples from your selection, place it in a tie box suitable for shipping and send it out to make the rounds of all here who express a desire to become more familiar with this experience. I will graciously offer myself up as the first recipient and will repackage and pass it along to the next regular poster at my earliest convenience. In fact, a quick check of my calendar indicates that I should be reasonably close to a US post office sometime in the late Twenties or early Thirties of the current century.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped buying their albums with -- what was it -- Pop? The one with Numb on it? I remember being at a party and listening to that album and a girl saying, God damn, I am on ECSTACY and this new U2 album STILL SUCKS!.
:foo:

That's hilarious because it rings so true.

Animals is fine. Some nice jams and good Gilmore stuff. Most people dismiss/dislike Final Cut. I can see why, but I stand by it; there's some decent music in there, if you can get through all the Waters selfi-indulgence and uber-political-inside-Cricket.
I'll be the first to admit my tastes are. On the same playlist mix, I have Dead Can Dance, Miles Davis, Goldfrapp, Shiny Toy Guns, Greenday, Lady Gaga, Floyd, The Doors, Moana and the Moa Hunters, Ashley MacIsaac, Robert Miles, Oakenfold, Robert Bennett, Peter Gabriel, "A Fifth of Bethoven" and yes, pre-Achtung U2 (among others, equally as eclectic). So you tell me why I can't tolerate the Boss, much of the Stones, nearly all of the Beatles' solo/post breakup stuff, or most rap that isn't House of Pain or Cyprus Hill.
Like I said, bring your hate. I can handle it.

I find that most folks who say they don't like the Stones tend to be of the younger persuasion and so have had their ears/minds polluted with post Emotional Rescue crap. That aside, your playlist points to what I think your issue might be: You have an instant-gratification complex. There are two reasons that good music is good: It is either complex and so stands up to listening again and again and again because there is always something new to hear (think Trout Mask Replica or Zappa's catalog), and/or, it is no-bullshit honest, which can range from I'll Be Your Mirror to Lithium. Your list has too much calculated stuff on it--Peter Gabriel, Gaga, U2. That **** was made by folks who sat down and said, hmm, I think I'm going to make something that will sell a bazillion copies and make me rich, and to do that, you have to come up with something simplistic, something that grabs folks right away, gets played to death and is gone in six weeks to make room for the next crop of schlop. In short, it gets old and boring real fast because it was never intended to have a shelf life.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You forget how Peter Gabriel confounds Patrick Bateman. :laugh:

NEGREP!

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patience is a virtue. I dont usually get that much for HF suits either. Holland and Sherrys sell well.

Still working on getting more then retail for a item though
crackup%5B1%5D.gif

Eighty bux for a NWT Bobby Jones polo? I leave his stuff hanging on the racks of every Goodwill in a 50 mile radius! Am I missing something?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Exactly... Their 80's stuff when I was in HS was great, some of the best albums of all time. Then they went insane. I really thought the "new" Bono look was a character he was playing that he was going to jump out of and tell everyone he was joking... I'm still waiting. 

Ooh, me too! Only I've got sales tax in NY, so that wipes it out. :fu:

Damn IRS.

The above referenced fine post fails to fully convey the experience many of us require to be able to discern authenticity with any degree of certainty.
Please take one of the best examples from your selection, place it in a tie box suitable for shipping and send it out to make the rounds of all here who express a desire to become more familiar with this experience. I will graciously offer myself up as the first recipient and will repackage and pass it along to the next regular poster at my earliest convenience. In fact, a quick check of my calendar indicates that I should be reasonably close to a US post office sometime in the late Twenties or early Thirties of the current century.

Got a RL in my sig for a cold 20 bucks. :spam:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Jeans are a tricky item. For denim-heads, they have to be dark (no or very few washes) selvedge. Japanese denim is good, but this embroidered and screen-printed nonsense is a huge negative; done to appeal to the rap types who jumped on the expensive denim train. Some Evisu's sell well, but these won't do anything outstanding. They are quite faded and have features that will prevent those really into denim from wanting them.
...also you have to watch out for fakes...you have to know a true selvedge edge as well as the markings used by the real manufacturers. A fake pair is worthless.

To be honest, I'm not sure this advice applies to a brand like evisu. It doesn't seem like they market themselves to denim heads who appreciate the qualities you mentioned. Yes, these jeans are absolutely terrible and disgusting in every way.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, it's Spoo... I'm sure he can just send us EACH one
biggrin.gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks all you 6'2" 180lbs guys for all the responses on the measurements. Unfortumately, the fellow didn't end up buying the jacket. On the bright side I know 5 of you who it may very well fit.

Another question, not thrifting telated before I show my finds of the day. Can a 10C shoe be stretched to fit a 10.5D foot? Can it be done, and is it bad for the shoe? Is it typically for width stretching only or can you gain a half size in length too?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
I only have one at $79 which is 100% silk retail $250.

99.99% are only $49 or $55 (retail $175 and $195 respectfully) and drop down to $43/each if you buy 5 (including shipping).

These are the "Made in Italy" (new old stock) which arnt sold in the stores anymore.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to hear all of your opinions on pop rock, I'd be reading a music thread...

I did find a couple of Anne Murray records at Goodwill for $.99 each. Anyone want those? I hear she's awesome...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's hilarious because it rings so true.
I find that most folks who say they don't like the Stones tend to be of the younger persuasion and so have had their ears/minds polluted with post Emotional Rescue crap.

I've never been a huge Stones fan as far as getting into detail on each album, but the couple times I saw them they put on a heck of show.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best album by Pink Floyd: Piper At The Gates Of Dawn Engage.
:slayer: Also love Saucerful of Secrets and the More soundtrack. Never got into them after DSOTM.
Sooo... went to one store and ended up with a few things for me. But that's not the story.

This is:

Picture it... Boston... the Goodwill on Comm. Ave... its Marathon Monday... I see this scumbag with a duffle bag straight STEALING an armful of pinstripe pants, a couple of POW / mixed plaid suits, and EVERY pair of recent tennis shoes in the place. When I was 100% sure that was what he was doing, I told a manager and the guy takes off running out the door and down the street. I had 3 pinstripe suit jacket orphans in my basket when I first noticed the *************.

Moral of the story:

I left behind a recent solid gray BB silver label "hand finished" suit jacket with double vents. 44 R.
I left behind a recent solid navy blue Samuelsohn suit jacket. 42 R.
I left behind an older navy pinstripe BB Golden Fleece suit jacket. 46 R.

censored.gif
Owch! :( Found a few cool items today: - Black Florshiem Imperial wingtip v-cleats. (avaliable. will get size tomorrow). - NWOT Simon Miller slim gray jeans - Super recent Talbott BOC red/blue medallions tie. - Super recent Saks black tonal stripe 3 btn suit. Side vented. Flat front trousers. Zegna trofeo cloth. 44 R. Gorgeous pick stitching. (available) Couple other items that escape me at the moment.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only have one at $79 which is 100% silk retail $250.

99.99% are only $49 or $55 (retail $175 and $195 respectfully) and drop down to $43/each if you buy 5 (including shipping).

These are the "Made in Italy" (new old stock) which arnt sold in the stores anymore.

Made in Italy Bobby Jones is good stuff. I picked up a Made in Italy 100% cashmere sport coat about a month ago. It was in amazing shape and beautifully unstructured. Had the original tag in the pocket - $1350. I'm sure I could have sold it for 3-4x what I paid, but I just gave it to my dad because it's his size. He loves telling me all the compliments he gets wearing it, so that alone is worth the potential profit.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

I've never been a huge Stones fan as far as getting into detail on each album, but the couple times I saw them they put on a heck of show.

I am a Stones diehard, saw them live on Steel WHeels in 1988. Muthaf*cka I am old. Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls are my faves, with Let IT Bleed right up there. I love how Mick decided to ape Tina Turner and that became the whole act and it's so simple...but so great.

All right, I've been a little busy. As in, solo road trip NH-Ohio for a reunion of us middle aged farts back at college Thurs-Mon. Couple thousand miles of pavement to pound, and stopped at thrifts where it made sense and there was time: Manchester, CT; Danbury, CT; Punxatawney, PA on the way there. Ebensburg and Altoona, PA on the way back, as well as Brookfield, West Hartford and Newington CT. And a quick return to Manchester.

On this thread it's all about the pix, and here's the Hot Rocks, er greatest hits, some for brag, others for conversation/comment:

Tie stash #1

Tie stash #2

It's an unseasonable 92 degrees today so naturally I found a great BB coat for next fall and winter. The zip-in lining is ski-parka-thick quilted nylon. Spoiler shows the other liner left for when the quilting's zipped out:

Also, a killer sweater

Oh, my alpaca fetish...

I have too many shirts so I am getting pickier and pickier. Orvis and Missoni, though, could not pass up at half-price day at one SA.

Sweet herringbone jacket with pick stitching and surgeon cuffs. It's about a 40R but too long for my short arms and unalterable because of the cuffs. Trade anyone?

Found a similar aquascutum jacket whose arms were magically perfect, that I actually wore to my reunion (got a Thin Red Line blue striped shirt with french cuffs...natch stopped at a mom and pop jewelry store in Groundhogville and bought some MOP vintage estate-sale cufflinks to round out the outfit -- sorry forgot to shoot those)

I'll stop after this...do you guys kop or leave Stuart McGuire shoes? I've read some posts -- not a lot to go on, it seems? -- on AAAC and here and the response to this brand is all over the map, I think they were good for a time, sort of Executive Imperial level and then they got outsourced to some very bad factories internationally. These seemed really nice so I kopped first, googled later. Do you guys see them/buy them?

LooknGr8

Reaction score
All right, the old rawk critic in me has been poked with a couple sharp sticks: On U2...I really enjoy them, a lot. Can't defend them, whoever calls them inconsistent lightweights is probably correct. For some odd reason, I dig them. Mea Culpa. Loved Achtung and Zooropa.

Pink Floyd, however, I feel is mostly overwrought palaver. Nataku is on to something though: Earlier stuff is more interesting until Syd left and it became a giant circle jerk until Waters couldn't even stand himself anymore.

I also feel that when PEter Green left Fleetwood Mac, they stunk thereafter, too, and few people in the USA even KNOW they existed before Buckingham-Nicks era. Engage (heh) :stirpot:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads