The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Here's the highlights from my finds from this past weekend:

Forgot who it was a month or so who scored the pants haul, but was thinking of that when I hit these all in one store...
    almost all a shade of khaki, all size 34(my size...will likely keep most..) unfortunately all double pleated...oh well, cant win them all....a couple have minor condition issues but nothing really noticeable...

From top to bottom:
    Zanella Platinum w/ Loro Piana Super 120's wool , Incotex cotton, Bill's Khaki's Flat Front, Incotex cotton, Zanella Cotton Chinos, Navy Zanella (wool), Burberry London Cotton, Zanella Cotton

[​IMG]

Also, I had passed on these shoes a week or so ago, looked at them a little closer this week and noticed "Crockett and....." stamped on soles
    they had an aftermarket insole placed in them so didnt notice they were C&J earlier, 317 last, .. Size 7.5D UK, I guess, which from what I can tell is 8.5 B?, they are very narrow..

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds PA's, size 12 E

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keith Highlander Saddles, Size 9.5D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna jeans, size 38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB PJ's...

[​IMG]

Also picked up a pair of Polo dark slim fit jeans and a pair of serviceable Jack Purcell's for myself..

And now for today's version of Burberry.....Real or Fake? Funny how right after the discussion a couple of days ago, I came across this..tag looks real, had check plaid placket collar lining, long sleeve knit polo with button cuffs, but not sure @ the logo....Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found in same store as Burberry pants above. I think those are real also, but..? Here is the tag...sorry for the dark pic....

[​IMG]

2. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Pssh where's the pants?

EDIT: The timing there could not have been worse.

PS: Those AE PAs available?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. valium

valium Senior member

peopel shit on the Emotional Resuce album but i actually liked it

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Grabbed exclusively so I could use the Spoo signal!

I have no questions...other than: Are they worth more than a dollar? :embar:

TIE HAUL:

FORTY TIES, HOLY SHIZ!
    18-ISH BRIONIS
    BUNCHA TUNRBULL & ASSERS
    COUPLE A' ZEGNAS
    THE BESTEST MOST THICKEST STEFANO RICCI TIE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN

Pics of a few that survived friends and family:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DEDICATED TO ALL THE BRAVE ROBERT TALBOTTS WE LEFT BEHIND...

[​IMG]

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

lol @ the robert talbott crack
    oh so true

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You sell em - $20/per
    I sell em - $90/per

either way
    [​IMG]

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. valium

valium Senior member

i also went to this tour in '88 in toronto,shit i think i was in grade 12 back then.anyway my friend worked security so he got us to the front row,and then my other dumbass friend grabbed Micks ankle when he was singing right above us,Keith swung his guitar at him and missed and in the same motion continued rocking out.
    same friend same summer (i think) freaked out after taking shrooms at a Pink floyd Concert,i think it was the division bell tour.we sat right under the laser show tower,like the lasers were shooting out above our heads looked like Star Wars,dude had a mini Barett meltdown during "Time"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LooknGr8 [​IMG]

I am a Stones diehard, saw them live on Steel WHeels in 1988. Muthaf*cka I am old. Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls are my faves, with Let IT Bleed right up there. I love how Mick decided to ape Tina Turner and that became the whole act and it's so simple...but so great.
    All right, I've been a little busy. As in, solo road trip NH-Ohio for a reunion of us middle aged farts back at college Thurs-Mon. Couple thousand miles of pavement to pound, and stopped at thrifts where it made sense and there was time: Manchester, CT; Danbury, CT; Punxatawney, PA on the way there. Ebensburg and Altoona, PA on the way back, as well as Brookfield, West Hartford and Newington CT. And a quick return to Manchester.
    On this thread it's all about the pix, and here's the Hot Rocks, er greatest hits, some for brag, others for conversation/comment:
    Tie stash #1a Thin Red Line blue striped shirt with french cuffs...natch stopped at a mom and pop jewelry store in Groundhogville and bought some MOP vintage estate-sale cufflinks to

10. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I payed around $4 for the sport coat and payed up at $20 for the suit. To be honest, they are awesome, really quality pieces, and some of the softest wool I've felt. I am actually surprised and very impressed. I might be interested in purchasing one for myself.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

noobizor: WOW! Crazy haul! Do you think it's all from one donor?

12. catside

catside Senior member

Noobizor is in the house.

13. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Shiiiiiitttt...loving that floral madness on that one of many Brionis. Love that you put so much rapture into your haul posts. You need to curate DM7s finds into post modern HTML.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

LOL, thank you, Dr. Phil! I will keep this in mind....

I'm thinking the ~20 Brionis, for sure. There was a crazy Missoni tie, as well as some other random Made in Italy ties I've never heard of that I left behind, along with some others. The shirts and T&A ties were from other donors, I'm pretty sure. Either way, I think fate has repaid me for all my recent Stafford run-ins! :D (My little bro is just on the lookout for biz clothes, too, so this was really nice...)

:fistbump: :fistbump:

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Am in/near Springfield periodically. Will PM.

Bluntly ignoring the warnings to drop the music meme (because even thrifters need a soundtrack), I'll defend myself once, and only once (because I frankly couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks of my music tastes): I straight up guarantee the songs you think I have on that mix are not the ones I actually have. (Conversely, if you think I haven't heard deep cuts into the Stones or whomever, you're likely wrong; I have and have knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily decided, through exercise of free will, that they're not for me -- brace yourself; I know that seems IMPOSSIBLE when the great Keith Richards is on the line, but it CAN happen). Peter Gabriel is not the mass produced stuff. It's from the sountrack to the movie Passion. Davis is from Sketches of Spain or Ascenseur pour l'échafaud. And so on. And as for instant gratification: IT'S MUSIC. That's kind of the point.

Well that freaking explains why there's been crap all around here. :D

That's a nice, erm, tie.... in that post.... nothing else to see there.....

EDIT: I forgot the entire POINT of my post:
    Picked up a J Press flannel charcoal chalk stripe suit today. No photos or measurements yet, but it seems to be around a 41R. Available; PM me if interested. Also picked up a couple of Vineyard Vines flat front chinos, 36R, I think I'll keep, but PM with interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.