• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe so. The seller can claim you put a t-shirt in the box (like the Nataku buyer did). The seller sent back a used blue t-shirt.

So, who was the seller, we can get back at her Chicago style...Ill have a horse head sent back and charge back to her....

Im not kidding.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. They told me there wasn't anything they could do and that I'd need to contact the Postal Inspectors because they work on a national basis. Her local PD wouldnt even listen to me since I am out of state. Back to square one. I gave up.
I'm dealing with a similar situation as you right now. Sold a Duluth Pack duffle bag a week or so ago. Buyer messaged me last night saying that I advertised it as 12" X 18" X 6" but it is actually 11"X16"X4". I copy/pasted the measurements from the retail website description. My mistake but still - really? All this fuss over a couple inches? He also claims that it's a completely different model (that looks nothing like it). What a doorknob. I told him to return it and I'd refund him. Let's see what happens.... :brick:

Nataku.....that is the best avatar ever.

Again, pm me these fools ebay info. Ill get them.

I will also pick up the Polo bear sweaters I see and ignore....ive seen a few recently.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really need a shared blacklist. I'd say just make it public, but in the case of some scammers like that one, they might Google and find their name maybe, which would be unfortunate since they'd just change names. The problem with doing it via PM is that there'd be different versions and so on and so forth.

Maybe a public list that puts the list itself inside spoiler tags or something like that to obscure it a bit?

Nat, you really should keep pursuing that - I'm telling you, small claims will love you, and you know where she works and everything... tack on fees and you'll be making money off HER in the end. Sure beats "self help" pulling the same scam back on her... though you might get some personal satisfaction there that doesn't derive from making her entire workplace know what a scammer she is - oh, wait, what's wrong with that again? :devil:

Today was interesting - six stores, and I saw a pair of Allen Edmonds at every single one... HIGHLY unusual for central Ohio. Only picked up one though.

Pickups:
AE Graysons 11.5B shell cordovan
Lands End Charter Collection Magee Donegal sc (with the nifty hand-signed label)
J. Press Presstige Magee Donegal sc - I <3
Vineyard Vines "little flags" tie

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Really need a shared blacklist. I'd say just make it public, but in the case of some scammers like that one, they might Google and find their name maybe, which would be unfortunate since they'd just change names. The problem with doing it via PM is that there'd be different versions and so on and so forth.

Can the eBay black list thread be accessible only to members with 250, 500, 1000?? posts or more?

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn Nataku, sorry to hear that.

Eh, karma will get her back. Soon enough...

So, who was the seller, we can get back at her Chicago style...Ill have a horse head sent back and charge back to her....
Im not kidding.

Haha, PM sent! :laugh:

Also, please do pick those bear sweaters up if you get a chance.

Nataku.....that is the best avatar ever.
Again, pm me these fools ebay info. Ill get them.
I will also pick up the Polo bear sweaters I see and ignore....ive seen a few recently.

:D :laugh:

Sounds good!

Nat, you really should keep pursuing that - I'm telling you, small claims will love you, and you know where she works and everything... tack on fees and you'll be making money off HER in the end. Sure beats "self help" pulling the same scam back on her... though you might get some personal satisfaction there that doesn't derive from making her entire workplace know what a scammer she is - oh, wait, what's wrong with that again? :devil:

Yeah, I may just make a phone call to the school dist. she works at and see where that takes me.....

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will post my problem ID's pending developments.

If problem bidders want to screw with us, there wont be a clothing seller from Styleforum that will take their bids on eBay. Some of the better eBay sellers that we all know and like would also play ball and block them. We have the power to turn their eBay misadventures into buying scraps from 2nd rate sellers almost as dodgy as them.

We should all have mob mentality that says, **** with one, you **** with Styleforum. You dont **** with Styleforum and get away with it :devil:.

Pardon my French of course.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Nataku,
Last week I sold a pair of shell cordovan Alden loafers. The buy received them, then sent me an Item Not as Described message claiming they weren't shell. They said they were going to return them for a refund. Now I am waiting to see if they return another pair of shoes or just had buyers remorse. Either way it is irritating since I am still going to be out the shipping at the very least. Perhaps I should rethink offering a return policy.

Return policy doesn't matter if the item is not accurately described. I seriously doubt that ebay would side with you even if "Genuine Shell Cordovan" is stamped on these inside and out. The standard seems to be that the buyer always wins.

IMO a no return policy has the effect of keeping the honest buyers from making returns. Face it, a dishonest buyer can cut a shirt and take a photo of the damaged goods you sold him. I think you will lose that battle 100% of the time.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can the eBay black list thread be accessible only to members with 250, 500, 1000?? posts or more?

I say the threshold should be 900 posts. ;)

Brianpore

Reaction score
If problem bidders want to screw with us, there wont be a clothing seller from Styleforum that will take their bids on eBay. Some of the better eBay sellers that we all know and like would also play ball and block them. We have the power to turn their eBay misadventures into buying scraps from 2nd rate sellers almost as dodgy as them.
+1

Quote:
THANKS!

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score
2 Stores - first a bust, second one was a few nice items. Found clothing - Barbour Traveler Jacket, Brioni Tie, 50's Hand Painted Tie, and a few non-clothing items: pair of vintage Hella headlights for Porsche/VW, Zenith transistor radio, and a nice leather covered flask.

Forgot...records too...couple Cat Stevens on Deram, original press Zeppelin Zoso album, ELP on Cotillion, and a couple more I cant remember...these were near mint, so hard to pass up since I'm sure they are better copies then what I have currently.

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here are some interesting finds from my last week or so. sorry for the poor pictures; the lighting in my place is not good. everything is up for grabs, if there's any interest.

First up, I found an almost mint Kiton, 100% cashmere, in a big boy size (~50!). the only issue with the jacket is that there is a hole near the second button. Since it was damaged, I got it for a whopping .75 cents. No idea what I'm going to do with it (might look into re-weaving, but not sure).

k2.jpg

k1.jpg

Next, I found this nice Brioni blazer. 38R, has surgeon's cuffs, etc. Nice piece, overall. Wish it fit.

b11.jpg

b21.jpg

Third, I found some Versace Jeans Couture. No idea if these things are real or not; my suspicion is that they are (Medusa heads all over the place, authenticity label, etc...but Versace ain't my thing). Look at the fabric label! Haha.

z1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

Fourth, couple Zegnas made with very nice fabric (XL & XXL)

zegna.jpg

Finally, I picked up this John W. Nordstrom cashmere/wool jacket. Normally I pass on this brand, but the jacket's color is really phenomenal. Fabric is by Zegna. IIRC, measures to a 40R.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote:
Wasn't the "secrete huddler forum" secrete and hidden before it all got implemented? They can't have a new secret hidden "eBay Black List" forum? Another suggestion besides for post count (if not particle for the way the forum is set up) would be to have someone who is active in this thread or in the B&S forum be the moderator and only add people to the secret forum upon request and with approval? Please let me in!
worship.gif

Basically a way that shows you have good intentions and have been on the forum long enough not to screw things up...

Third, I found some Versace Jeans Couture. No idea if these things are real or not; my suspicion is that they are (Medusa heads all over the place, authenticity label, etc...but Versace ain't my thing). Look at the fabric label! Haha.
z1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads