The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Agreed. This story pisses me off to teh Nth degree. His/her info needs to be outed so the virtual mob can go to town.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Yes, hence Nat thought it was fool proof. Like I said, the buyer mentioned the sweater in the notes, hell, she might have said it was a payment, even though she sent a personal payment.

Add to that they did their messaging over ebay, so ebay could track the fact that the sweater was indirectly sold though ebay.

Edit: we learned that bear sweaters need to be sold over craigslist adds, or paid for in cash. Also, use B/S here on SF as much as possible!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

4. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I have shipped a few items to Asia(Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea) and never had problems with buyers not paying or scamming. I had one guy(Korean) refuse to accept shipment of an Ebay item he won because he couldn't afford the item with the taxes. I refunded the payment when I got the item back a month later, and he paid for the shipping.

He might want to do it through Ebay because he has feedback there. Has he bought anything else on the forums? If he says he has and doesn't have any feedback in the old buyer and sellers feedback threads ask him if he would provide the user names of the sellers and ask them about their experience with him.

USPS offers signature confirmation on any international shipments. The best you can do is tracking and delivery confirmation. I doubt he would be willing to pay for FedEx or UPS international. Check the prices and you'll see why. Also, FedEx has a great resource in the Global Trade Manager where you can estimate duties and get shipping advisories. You have to register to use it, but it's free.

I haven't been able to find a good answer to that question. They don't fit my 9-9.5D. They measure 13" long and 4 7/16" wide at the widest point, but have long, narrow toe-box.

For you and the other stereo guys out there, what's a good price to pay for a vintage Bose 550 amp? The Goodwill down the street from me has one for auction untested and starting at $40 with a buy it now of $199. From the few Ebay results I've seen, the unworking one went for a little over $100 and working ones about $200. Is this usually the price range?

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I think you did great with them.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I had an interesting thing happen recently. A brand new member said he was interested in a "large number" of my items and asked if I accept cash payments through the mail. I told him that I accept USPS Money Orders. He could be legit, but I wonder why someone would want to send even a few hundred dollars through the mail. If the bills were counterfeit I think my bank would be able to identify them as such, even if I couldn't.

Any thoughts?

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Yes this, he claims to have ~20 positive feedbacks on ebay. Hasn't commented about whether he has bought anything on either forum. I asked, but he answered other stuff in the PM, nothing about purchases here. I lean toward waiting for someone with either a US address or a bit more forum ID to show interest. Maybe after Christmas. Or maybe my prices are out of line. I can wait, I just don't like to :embar:

8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

What is it with the sketchy buyers? Warning on USPS money orders though, in trying to figure out a way to do business with my Singaporan buyer, I've heard that Money Orders have become increasingly easy to forge. Not sure how that works out, but nonetheless ...

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have a couple and like them although I now look for a slimmer fit than they provide and you need to iron and size them to keep them feeling crisp. I got lazy quick and started looking for slim fit, no-iron shirts so most of my dress shirts are Nordstrom's, JAB and BB now. I use the GB's as emergency shirts when Dig falls behind on the laundry.

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Details on the navy corduroy pants? What do they measure? (waist, inseam, and total length)

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks to this thread found my first FRAY shirt today. Never knew the name before someone mentioned it a week or so ago. A few other shirts as well but nothing like some of you guys with NEW RLPL shoes x 2!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

12. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

Plus, for international shipments you have to actually go to the counter at the post office. When I went yesterday there was quite a line of people shipping Christmas gifts.

13. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

^^^ I was shipping eBay items at the P.O. yesterday as well. A woman came in with two small children, saw the 20-person line and asked whether she could print postage for international shipping for a few packages. The clerk said she could.

But, grain of salt and all that.

14. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

My Wife drops off my packages and asked about this. You can print the International labels from home (remember to sign) and apparently the only reason to drop them off at the PO is to get a receipt. The receipt seems redundant given that the transaction is on Ebay/Paypal.

15. rabbiluongo

rabbiluongo Member

I found a pair of Alden shell cordovan penny loafers at my usual thrift store today. The upper and stitching are in excellent condition, minus a few very minor scuffs which can be buffed out with some wax in a matter of minutes, but the heel is very very low/short. The thing is, it doesn't look worn down, it looks more like the previous owner had very short heels put on, though i have never seen that before. Anyone have any idea if this is possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.