The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I used to be a bit of a vinyl collector and was active on sites like the Record Collectors Guild. I always had trouble with grading too because you could have some records that looked fantastic and played not so great and another one that looked VG- but played superb. Plus, you have to grade the cover condition and all that. Too much hassle.

ATLjon, welcome to the site. Those shoes might have a little resale value, but the rest of it would have none. I would recommend going back to look at least the last 500 pages in this thread. It might help give you a better idea of what is considered "bragworthy" to SF members.:teach:

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive been around the block long enough to know some loopholes. :D Ill include this in my book :laugh:

5. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Any info about this? it looks and feel like high quality

6. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

You sir win the internet today.

And thank you for the new avatar.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ok, finally getting around to posting the Henry Poole. Picked it up and made a bittersweet find - the jacket was overall in really great shape, but there were 2 tiny mothholes I didn't notice before :-/. Thankfully, it's on the back of the sleeve and incredibly small. Also, upon closer inspection I could really see the amazing handiwork. I really didn't realize how much amazing handwork goes into a really good suit. The "puffiness" of the shoulders due to hand stitching, the under the collar stitch, the tight fit of the surgeon cuffs, etc....everything is just a cut above all of the other high end suits I've picked up. It's astounding to me that this suit is over 20 years old (!!). It's better built than almost everything I find currently. Really great stuff. Anyhow, pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Annnnd a bunch of other stuff you guys will no longer proceed to care about :p

The AE monkstraps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, so this Burberrys DB confuses me: It's got what appears to be a recent US union tag, but it's also got a "Bulloks Wilshire" label...from what Wikipedia says, it looks like the store no longer exists and was bought out by Southwestern law school some time ago. Can anyone clue me in on how old this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, shirts - A very nice Lacoste, HF, & nice Brooks pattern (I normally avoid, but this thing was mint and a nice pattern):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I used to be real active on there about 2+ years ago under the almost the same moniker as on here (Natakux2). Didn't really venture out of the "Open Forum" section, though. You're right, grading is tough. One man's VG+ is another's VG-. I've seen G records that played (IMO) like a VG+. I've given up on selling vinyl anyway because in most genres, the market has bottomed out. $100+ records are now selling for $15 and under. It's insane. You can see the difference in prices when you look at the graph on Popsike for any particular title.

AndroFan, that Poole suit is gorgeous!

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thanks! This camera really doesn't do it justice - it really is very beautiful, and aside from the pant lining wear, it could pass for a high quality recent suit. It's surprising how timeless and unimposing it is. None of the insane shoulder padding, outrageous styling, etc. of that era. I've got to hand it to the Brits - they do timeless sophistication very well.

I think I'm going to borrow a decent camera from a friend when I finally go to shoot & list it, and I'd love some friendly suggestions on how to best pitch it :-D.

10. ruben

ruben Senior member

I'm not sure on this.

In my experience, you can print priority international (and up), at home, but you have to still wait in line to submit it and have it stamped.

I'd love it if you could print first class international stuff from home and just drop it off when done.

I occasionally flip through the records, and tend to pick up the ones I like, am I wasting my money?

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Why would you be? If you like them, that's what counts. Just make sure they're in decent shape (ie: not used as a frisbee for 20 years). Are you looking to buy to listen to or sell? IMO, Vinyl/Analog > Digital.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

The time 2000 - 2005 I sold rare limited edition vinyls that basically paid for my wedding and PhD. Only two cases surface, both my fault, both resolved without difficulty. Completely different to clothing. I once sent a guy a ltd to 100 vinyl for high price. I sent LP without proper protection in box, buyer emailed an angry message saying I ruined the vinyl sleeve by packaging badly where the sleeve had a fold. I asked for pictures, he sent them. I then told him he can return the LP, he told me he wanted to keep but felt the value had reduced by 20%. I sent partial refund, apologized that I was reckless in packaging, and he still left positive feedback. He became a regular customer! Back then though, buyers and sellers had roughly equal power, and selling really limited edition stuff does make buyers want to keep and not send back for fluffy reasons.

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Glad you guys posted the stuff of the records because I have been meaning to ask a question. A lady who takes care of my son in aftercare has an original copy of the Beatles "White Album". The cover shows some water damage, but she says the LP's have never been played. I looked at them both and they appear new to my untrained eye. And the kicker was the album was given to her by a gentleman who had a connection to the Beatles at the time, and has a newspaper article about the gentleman and his work at that time with them. So is this worth anything?

The gentleman also gave her some drawings that were used in the creation of "Yellow Submarine". Her daughter took them to get the artwork framed and it "disappeared" from the framers.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:wow:

Wat? Did she sue the place? Or at least try to get them back?

That's so terrible. I remember a similar thing happening to my mom -- on a smaller scale, a pair of hard to find shoes or something that the cobbler had no record of...until she sent a letter w/ legal letterhead and they magically re-appeared. That was bad enough, but original Beatles memorabilia? Damn...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  15. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Yes, its very good stuff. Ive never seen anyone come up with this brand at a thrift. Its similar to La Vera...which is some seriously amazing stuff.
    What size? More pics?
    You selling this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.