• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and so would the rest of the world and then none of you will find anything good anymore. Keeping a good thing quiet keeps it a good thing. Spilling all the marbles will ony spoil it for yourselves. This thread alone is a continued demonstration of foolhardiness. Thrift store owners and managers routinely now check online. They are learning..and learning fast.
A few years ago I donated some vintage Florsheim Imperials. I saw them placed on the shelf at $6.99. I was pleased that my donation was enjoyed by someone less priviledged at an affordable price. Earlier this year, I donated another pair of Imperials. The store marked them $40. That is when I stopped donating to that store (Goodwill). True they are still jacking up prices on crap but they are hitting the right targets with more frequency. Save yourselves...lol....petition to have this thread deleted. Then goodies will keep flowing to you.
Can you imagine what it will be like when 10x or 100x the numbers of thrifters come through the store doors? The writing is on the wall amigos.
I predict within 2-5 years from now most of you will be finding nothing good anymore (or paying through the nose to have it) and you'll only have yourselves to blame. :)

I don't think it's this thread that is driving prices at thrifts up. I think it's a couple of factors. First, in many cases thrifts are getting brand new merchandise. That draws people in. Second, I think the stigma of shopping at a thrift store is gone. Back in the day, no one went to Goodwill because "that's where the poor people go because they can't afford to buy things at the store." Now you are as likely to see a nicely dressed lady get out of there Bimmer or Benz SUV, as the white thrash mom with the kids she cuses at roll out beat up Chevy mini van.

MattR

Reaction score

I don't think it's this thread that is driving prices at thrifts up. I think it's a couple of factors. First, in many cases thrifts are getting brand new merchandise. That draws people in. Second, I think the stigma of shopping at a thrift store is gone. Back in the day, no one went to Goodwill because "that's where the poor people go because they can't afford to buy things at the store." Now you are as likely to see a nicely dressed lady get out of there Bimmer or Benz SUV, as the white thrash mom with the kids she cuses at roll out beat up Chevy mini van.

This is a large part of it, especially where increased demand will just increase prices overall. However, a lot of the stores in my area have been selectively marking up prices, although they miss quite a bit and focus on common brand names (JCrew, Nautica [seriously] etc). So, it's a mix - they obviously have some inkling that they've been underpricing for a long time. But, even so, I wonder how much this thread contributes to it, especially when Ebay would still exist even if you shut this thread down.

(orangutan arms, Oompa Loompa build, etc).

Scientifically speaking, of course.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one consignment store here Snooty Fox, if they sold something like that they would make it know it was not authentic. The fact they admitted they knew they sold a fake sucks IMO.

I lived in Cincinnati for a couple years after college. For a year or so, I lived right next to that [place. Never went in it, though.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys pick up any tuxedos. Are there particular brands to watch for?
I got my wedding tux from a thrift. Nothing crazy, but hell, it beat renting! It was a recent single button Canali Propasta. Black tonal striped. Double breasted, peak lapel. Fit me spot on. No alterations needed at all. A thrifting buddy last year found Carl Pohlad's Oxxford tux from 1987 (likely worn to the World Series) at a local thrift shop along with the rest of Pohlad's wardrobe. Other than that, I haven't seen or heard of any tuxedos locally that have been worth buying.
I was ranting about the high prices of another location to a thrift employee the other day. She said the prices are higher there because it's in a rich neighborhood and the people there pay those prices. It's true. I see at least 7-8 brand new Range Rovers, BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc there every time I'm there. I usually try to look scruffy when I hit the thrifts to try and blend in. There, I gotta wear my Sunday best.

Last edited:

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just can't decide if I want to sell them. I've always told myself i'll get a pair of Allen Edmonds when I can afford it, and now I've got my pair. I guess it depends on how well they fit.

I see. If you don't have any yet. Keep them, they're really nice.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
I never really understand why people get upset about prices. It's a charity store, and your money is going to a good place. How can you blame shop employees for trying to price things fairly, and not get ripped off on nice items (the price will drop eventually if it is too high). Plus, I don't think people would be as willing to donate sometimes if they thought the item would be priced real low only for a flipper to come around and sell it on eBay for its real value.

That being said I do agree prices are irratating at times, but my reaction is usually to say good for them, not to get all upset. And I wouldn't post that video on YouTube either. Let people do the research and learn themselves if they are willing enough to.

Last edited:

adaminaustin

Reaction score
Hi!
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be posting before-after pictures. I was def. not goth ninja superfuture but let's just say I had a few dozen pairs of sneakers :)

I can understand why some might think that I'm "part of the problem" (expected it, even) though I definitely disagree. I pass on lots of nice pieces, I am not just out to make a buck. I am transitioning from "young man" into "grown man" style and I do purchase clothes for myself. I don't, however, have closet space, $$, time, and energy to pick up tons of stuff to flip on discussion forums for a $15 profit. I will most likely continue selling exclusively on ebay and my wife's etsy shop. Don't worry, you won't see any 1970s YSL suits posted up in here for $350 (I do like my suits, even though I have no occasion to wear them other than the odd holiday party or wedding).

My monthly clothing budget is very small (<$75) and thrift purchases are included in that. If I can buy a nice pair of Aldens for $15 and flip them for $150, that brings my budget up to $225. Keeps me happy.

I agree with other posters about the loss of stigma being the main reason thrift stores are jacking prices up. Think about it. If people roll up in their luxury SUV, they probably aren't going to blink at paying $20 for a J.Crew button down. It's a third of what they're used to paying! I do not believe that people on online forums are the reason.

Anyway, the main reason I posted initially is just to say, "Thanks," I love seeing other people's finds. I like shows like Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, hell even Pawn Stars for the same reasons. You never know what you'll find when you walk in a thrift store or an estate sale. Most of the time you won't find anything but occasionally you'll pick a gem and that keeps you going!

MattR

Reaction score

I never really understand why people get upset about prices. It's a charity store, and your money is going to a good place. How can you blame shop employees for trying to price things fairly, and not get ripped off on nice items (the price will drop eventually if it is too high). Plus, I don't think people would be as willing to donate sometimes if they thought the item would be priced real low only for a flipper to come around and sell it on eBay for its real value.

That being said I do agree prices are irratating at times, but my reaction is usually to say good for them, not to get all upset. And I wouldn't post that video on YouTube either. Let people do the research and learn themselves if they are willing enough to.

I don't "blame" them, since they haven't done anything wrong. It just makes my hobby more expensive, and I find that disappointing. I don't thrift as a way to give back to my community. I do it for the best price possible on my meager budget.

Of course, pricing too high means (a) you start reducing the number of lower income folks who can afford the items and (b) I'm less likely to buy it, so they get stuck with clothes they can't sell. It's the same marginal problem of supply and demand that exists for every product (I realize you recognized that). And if a thrift store wants to experiment with pricing, so be it. But in the mean time, I'll just wait in the wings.

::EDIT:: I'll just add that there is obviously a price point beyond which I'm not willing to buy. I'm not adverse to paying $20 for a good pair of shoes, since they'd cost be 10x or maybe 20x that at normal prices. But these are used goods, even in good condition, which adds risk to their longevity.

Last edited:

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
I can't help but feel like the people most angered are the ones who know that their profit margin is dropping. The flippers getting mad at flippers is comical. There are a good number of people here who, like me, thrift because we want to dress like the big-timers but aren't quite there financially. If anyone is getting screwed, we are. As I've said before, I don't begrudge anyone a 500% profit but to complain that the charity thrift stores are increasing their profit too is absurd. Besides, a $1,500 suit that is a must get at $20 is also a must get at $60.

I've been thrifting in the DC area for 3 years now and I haven't seen a dramatic rise in prices at the big thrifts. A suit at Salvation Army costs 16.99 in the summer and 19.99 in the winter and has since I can remember. And, they don't differentiate at all based on brands. All of the bespoke suits I've picked up cost the same as the workhorse Britches of Georgetowne stuff I get. The smaller local charity stores may price things higher but I see the same stuff sit on their racks for months and then get included in their 75% off sales and that's when I pick them up.

What we really need is for the trading thread to be more active. I see lux stuff all the time that I just leave on the racks because I'm not looking to flip but I also don't want to spend money for clothes that I can't wear and will just sit in bags in my house.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and so would the rest of the world and then none of you will find anything good anymore. Keeping a good thing quiet keeps it a good thing. Spilling all the marbles will ony spoil it for yourselves. This thread alone is a continued demonstration of foolhardiness. Thrift store owners and managers routinely now check online. They are learning..and learning fast.
A few years ago I donated some vintage Florsheim Imperials. I saw them placed on the shelf at $6.99. I was pleased that my donation was enjoyed by someone less priviledged at an affordable price. Earlier this year, I donated another pair of Imperials. The store marked them $40. That is when I stopped donating to that store (Goodwill). True they are still jacking up prices on crap but they are hitting the right targets with more frequency. Save yourselves...lol....petition to have this thread deleted. Then goodies will keep flowing to you.
Can you imagine what it will be like when 10x or 100x the numbers of thrifters come through the store doors? The writing is on the wall amigos.
I predict within 2-5 years from now most of you will be finding nothing good anymore (or paying through the nose to have it) and you'll only have yourselves to blame. :)

I agree ;)
I was thinking this the other day, and was contemplating the concept of "mums the word". I will say I disagree with one point - that if we shut up shop now, we can still redeem ourselves towards a reasonable trade off in find rate. I dont think that will be the case, we are on an inevitable downward spiral in regards to good finds. The damage has been done.

Im sure this thread increased the awareness of thrifting throghout the forum. You would have to guess that each city in the States will have a few members, perhaps many members. All it takes is 4 or 5 of them to take thrifting seriously, and your odds of a find plummet downwards. Your odds become infinitesimally small if several members take thrifting more seriously than you and consequently visit each store everyday. If you want good stuff, you have to double your efforts. Law of probability can help out here though, it is unlikely you or a fellow member will hit the same store at once if both of you start out at the same time.

In any case, on paper, you are right. In 5 years, a good find may be once every 3 months if pot luck has you in store just as they restocked and you are there before another thrifter whom is after the same kind of stuff.

Thrifter

Reaction score

I can't help but feel like the people most angered are the ones who know that their profit margin is dropping. The flippers getting mad at flippers is comical. There are a good number of people here who, like me, thrift because we want to dress like the big-timers but aren't quite there financially. If anyone is getting screwed, we are. As I've said before, I don't begrudge anyone a 500% profit but to complain that the charity thrift stores are increasing their profit too is absurd. Besides, a $1,500 suit that is a must get at $20 is also a must get at $60.

QFT - and also at $60 it's less likely that some hobo is walking around in Oxxford, or that it ends up as someone's Halloween costume.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Made my first trip to a thrift store in recent memory yesterday. Full disclosure, I was looking for an ugly Christmas sweater (if anyone has any luck finding something truly atrocious at their spot in a size M let a brotha know and we can talk bitness, seriously).

Anyway, I was quite surprised to find a cache of quite expensive and quality goods. About 4 Ascot Chang shirts, a few T&A shirts, a couple Hermes ties and a couple higher-end SCs with LP fabric. Only downside is that EVERYTHING was completely beat to ****. Stains, rips, missing buttons the whole lot. I lurk this threak pretty regularly and never gave any thought to it, but you pros out there must struggle mightily with nice stuff in terrible shape. Seeing lots of nice stuff I would happily wear if in passable condition in ruins was one of the biggest teases of my life.

Don't think I'm cut out for this game :embar:. Respect to those fighting the good fight.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent Hickey Freeman, especially with details like flat front pants are always worth grabbing. I know several guys on here who love HF. The ancient HF stuff isn't worth much.
Tom James isn't junk per say, but it it's all over the place here. It's about on par with Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers, etc. It's all MTM stuff, so with a good amount of it, there will be a reason it's MTM (orangutan arms, Oompa Loompa build, etc). If you do however find a really nice, recent sportcoat that fits you well, grab it. If you're looking to sell or trade, leave it.

Yeah, I live in HF's hometown, so I see a fair amount of it. I'm just wondering why these didn't have the Hickey Freeman labels sewn inside the jackets. It seems odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads